Home Forums General Discussion nystatin or diflucan

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    frhorngal
    Participant

Just wondering which anti-fungal you would use to treat yeast overgrowth. My doc has taken me off of all antibiotics to treat a yeast overgrowth. I cannot go back on the mino until it is under control. She has given me a script for both Nystatin and Diflucan (wants me to try the Nystatin first) and if I cannot tolerate the die-off reaction (my problem the last time) to jump up to the Diflucan. I cannot take any of the standard herbal antifungals (grapefruit seed, garlic, etc.) due to allergies. I know many of us on here deal with yeast at some point throughout our treatment so I appreciate any insights/experiences you have. Thanks

RA/Lyme: 100mg Minocin (brand) MWF, 3mg LDN, 10mg CBD- BID

nspiker
    Participant

I am curious as to what your reaction was, from the Nystatin die-off.  I have had minor yeast issues, in that my candida albicans blood test was elevated, but no outward symptoms.  When I took Nystatin, my tongue started to get a little coated, which it hadn't been before.  With Diflucan, a few days AFTER treatment, not before, began to get the normal signs of a female yeast infection.  Has this been your experience?  Maybe these are die-off symptoms?:?

I have been on Nystatin for a few weeks, but feel like I might need something stronger, so I started on Diflucan yesterday.  My llmd wants me on a no sugar diet.  Easy to say, but hard for me to avoid carbs. 

nancy

frhorngal
    Participant

Hi nspiker…

My RA symptoms got significantly worse. Extreme pain in my shoulders, hips, and knees whereas before the nystatin, pain had been predominantly located in my wrists/knuckles, and toes. It was waking me up in the middle of the night and preventing me from doing anything. naproxen couldn't seem to help with the pain either. I stopped the nystatin, did a 3 day water fast, and waited for my next appointment to talk things over with my doctor.

Ironically, my blood tests have all tested fine for candida levels and my SIBO test came back normal as well. We are treating based on symptoms (food allergies, insane sugar cravings, coated tongue, and some feminine yeast issues.)

RA/Lyme: 100mg Minocin (brand) MWF, 3mg LDN, 10mg CBD- BID

nspiker
    Participant

frhorngal,

That's interesting.  I have been on Nystatin for a couple of weeks now, and began to have increased pain and stiffness in my legs, and headaches.  I thought this was caused because my llmd increased the dosage of Mepron.  Now you have me wondering…..

OK, this is strange; Your blood test shows no candida problems, and yet you have symptoms.  My tests show I have candida, and have no symptoms.  More, and more, I find that tests are inaccurate. 

mschmidt
    Participant

I've only taken Diflucan so, I can't speak of any side effects from Diflucan.  My LLMD feels that candida is resistent to Nystatin so, he prefers using Diflucan. (his opinion)  I actually felt horrible on it for about 3-4 days…couldn't believe I was herxing from an anti-fungal but, I guess it makes sense.  I also didn't have any noticeable symptoms of yeast but, I know it was knocking something out, based on how I felt after taking it.  I'm going to do a 30 day candida cleanse that my LLMD gave to me after I get back from my trip to Dr. F in a few weeks.  I've never had any tests for candida–just assumed I had it because of all the antibiotics I've taken the last year.  I'll post my candida cleanse experience when I start…

Kim
    Participant

It's my understanding the Diflucan is the big gun and what kills the yeast, while Nystatin is fairly benign and keeps it from reappearing, but isn't strong enough to kill it.

Maria, what candida cleanse are you going to do?

Take care…..kim

mschmidt
    Participant

Kim,

The cleanse is called “Candida purge,” and the products are by Attogram Corp. from Canada. It includes Caproyl oil (liquid caprylic acid), Bentonite, Psyllium powder, and Multidophilus (lactobacillus acidophilus-bifidus and F.O.S.). My llmd does a lot of Hulda Clarke protocols, and said this is by far the best Candida cleanse he's seen. ($96 for all 4 products)

Kim
    Participant

Thanks, Maria.  Please report all the gory details. :doh:

Take care…..kim

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘ nystatin or diflucan’ is closed to new replies.