Home Forums General Discussion NSAIDS

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Lynn
    Participant

NSAID are recommended while on AP to help with inflamation so that th antibiotic can better reach the source- at least that is my understanding. What if you can't take them due to stomach issues? Lynn

Randy
    Participant

Hi Lynn,

As a former national-level competitive athlete, I can say that most of my colleague competitors, as well as “weekend warriors”, continually take NSAIDS before and after matches, if not continually.  I did the same for over 10 years to help with my osteoarthritis in my L hip.  This was before I came down with SD.

When all the SD hit, one of the first procedures for me (and for many of us SD folks) was an endoscopy to determine how my upper GI track was doing.  Fortunately for me, the doctor found my upper GI track still in pretty good shape.  However, he did find a small red “inflammed area” he said was associated with long-term NSAID use.  Although at that point I was taking NSAIDs not for my athletics but for SD, I was afraid that this very respected Mayo GI doc would tell me to stop taking the NSAIDs and just use Tylenol.  However, to my surprise, he told me not to worry about taking the NSAIDs, but just to continue taking Prilosec ER 20 mg per day, which I was already taking preventively for SD.

So, my short answer to you is (if it is okay with your doc) to properly take your NSAIDs, but with daily ER Prilosec.

Randy

I have been on NSAID

Diffuse SD since Apr '07
    AP since Feb '08
    100mg Mino twice daily
    Stopped Clindamycin IVs Aug 2019
    "No one should profit over someone else's illness"

linda
    Participant

The NSAIDS that are Cox-2 inhibitors were designed to be less harsh on the stomach. These are drugs like Mobic and Celebrex. However, even with these something like Prilosec, as Randy said, may be necessary, or even nexium or Protonix. Hopefully, you won't be on them for a long time time. Remember, too, that you'll need probiotics to restore the flora of your stomach that is destoyed by the antibiotics.

Lynn
    Participant

I've been scoped twice and even though my stomach was ok a year ago, I just had a CT that showed a dilated esophogus.  I am already on zantac twice a day, aciphex twice a day and Tums. Prilosec doesn't even thouch my stomach issues  I already have been taking probiotics, I eat small meals am on a glutten free diet low acid diet. I use to take ibuprofen on a regular basis for years- party's over. I can't even take one without SEVERE pain. I was just thinking their might be some natural routes to control my inflamation. I take hot baths. And I used to drink tons of tea since it is a great antiinflammatory but my tummy doesn't like it either.  I'm going to order the book about an anti- inflammation diet. Got anything else? Lynn

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=1716]Lynn[/user] wrote:

I was just thinking their might be some natural routes to control my inflamation.

Hi Lynn,

A few of here use fibrinolytic digestive enzymes. The brand I use is Neprinol…it's expensive, but it helps to reduce inflam if taken between (not with) meals. It also has the ability to break through scar tissue and Kim can share her success with that. Expensive, but a good supplement…only contraindication is not to take this supp if already on blood-thinning meds. 

http://www.americannutrition.com/store/Neprinol300.html

NAC or N-Acetyl Cystiene is also supposed to be very good for any form of fibrosis and is a precursor to glutathione, giving the body a good nudge to rid itself of toxins that build up and cause inflammation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetylcysteine

Boswellia is a natural form of aspirin, which is said to also be a good form of reducing inflammation naturally without the harsh side-effects of aspirin. Apparently takes about 6 weeks to reach full effect:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Boswellia—An-Anti-Inflammatory-Herb&id=70123

Hopefully these ideas will help you out a bit?

Peace, Maz

Lynn
    Participant

WOW!  Thanks!  I didn't know about any of those. Will certainly check them out!  Lynn:)

lyndsaylee
    Participant

Has anyone researched L-glutamine with respect to its benefit to (healing) the gut?

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

lyndsaylee, it is cited in the Leo Galland M.D. piece on Leaky Gut (item 4 in Trophic Therapies), the link to which is below. Lynnie

[align=left]http://www.mdheal.org/leakygut.htm[/align]

[align=left] [/align]

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

JeffN
    Participant

My GAVE was greatly “stimulated” by NSAIDS. I had been on many different brands (mostly perscription) before my SD Dx when the docs were trying to figure things out. For me at that point the NSAIDS did not appear to help much anyway but my stomach was killing me. When I was Dxd with GAVE my gastro Doc said he thought giving up NSAIDS would rectify GAVE in my case. It did and in three months my hemoglobin was almost normal again. I did not take ANY NSAIDS for over a year. After that I would do so once in a great while. About two years after my stomach issues, with no signs of bleeding etc. I began taking an 81mg asprin with my morning mino. I believe that the asprin has helped with penetration of the mino into my hands and fingers. NSAIDS were not an option for me for those two years so I went without. I seldom take Advil, Tylenol, etc. anymore. If your stomach is hurting I would monitor the intake of NSAIDS.

Lynn
    Participant

Thanks for the reply Jeff. Hopefully I can figure something else out. Lynn (aka chosen). 🙂

JOJO19551
    Participant

Maz, Does work as a probiotic as well?  Thanks, JoAnn

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=514]JOJO19551[/user] wrote:

Maz, Does work as a probiotic as well? 

Hi Joanne,

Do you mean one of the items I listed above (Neprinol, NAC and Boswellia)? If so, I'm afraid none of them are useful as probiotics. They are mainly just used as a means to help lower inflammation. 😉

Peace, Maz

Davit
    Participant

Lynn

If your talking about The anti inflamation zone book you might want to see if you can get it from the Library first. It's a good book but it's more about Diabetes. Still it's worth reading since diet can play a role in Arthritis.

Davit.

superperroRA
    Participant

IMP: Make sure you get tested for Lyme (by one of the standard labs like Quest, or
    preferably by IGENEX)

You need to take an anti-inflammatory besides the minocin+probiotics.
    I would avoid methotrexate and prednisone like the plague.

I would give a trial to all 3 of the following NSAIDs as soon as possible.

Mobic, Celebrex and Voltaren.

Different nsaids work differently for different people. That
    is why I advise you to try each for a few days. (Taking
    two different nsaids at the same time is dangerous.
    You can rotate them though).

I find that for me Mobic does nothing (some people find it highly effective.)
    For me, Celebrex works okay, and voltaren works great.

Celebrex and Mobic are COX2 so they are milder on the stomach,
    but they can cause strokes.

Voltaren is not COX2 so it is harsher on the stomach but less
    likely to give strokes.

Many people take prilosec (or some other proton pump inhibitor)
    to protect the stomach lining from the nsaids. The nsaids tell
    the stomach to produce less mucus, and the mucus is what protects
    the stomach lining from the gastric acid. The prilosec reduces the gastric
    acid.

Taking an NSAID in pill form  means 100% concentration reaches the stomach,
    whereas taking it as suppository means much less (let's guess 50%
    concentration reaches the stomach).  So, besides taking prilosec,
    taking the NSAID as suppository can help reduce
    ulcers. In my case, I can only tolerate the Voltaren in pill form for only a
    few days before it starts tearing my stomach apart. Luckily, My stomach
    doesn't mind the suppositories. That's why I take my Voltaren in suppository form.

Celebrex is real expensive in the US, but you can buy it for 1/5 the price
    in Canada (for example, at buylowdrugs)

Voltaren suppositories are not available in the US, but
    can be purchased in Canada (for example, at buylowdrugs)

Davit
    Participant

Hi superperro

I have RA also Up here in Canada you can get Voltarin with Cytoteck (Misoprostol) as Arthrotec. It is very good although that is not what I use. I use Naproxen and take the Cytotec seperate as needed.

Davit.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘ NSAIDS’ is closed to new replies.