Home Forums General Discussion Nothing Has Changed

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    heatherbell
    Participant

I was on another website and came across a PDF article from Sarasota Journal, February 27, 1967 – Rheumatoid Arthritis Doesn't Need to Cripple.  Whilst this was only an excerpt it went on to say what we all still hear today when we see our doctors or rheumys “early aggressive treatment will stop the crippling and deformity, etc. etc.”.  It also mentioned the cost of us patients on society.  Well, well, well.  What treatment was around then?  Aspirin, steroids, gold, maybe MTX??  I wonder if those people are now free of any deformities.  I know nothing helped my mother in 1988, she was severely deformed within “two years”.  So here they are still telling us the same things now even though we have “up to date” medications like DMARDS and Biologics.  I know we have to start on something, but it all seems like a sales spiel and nowadays to push the MTX with the DMARDS/Biologics, yesteryear gold.  When does the antibiotic therapy ever fit in and get a mention?  Something stinks or nobody has a clue …

PS Sorry if I sound cynical.  I was off sick from work today due to being a “bad” day.  Crippled basically.

justsaynoemore
    Participant

Don't apologize, it's my take on the subject too.  But the AP is working for me – I decided to have my chiropractor have baseline x-rays done of my knees, ankle and feet as they have been aching, and after 4 years I thought it might be a good idea.  Nothing, absolutely nothing.  Specifically mentioned no erosions.  My rheumatologist keeps marveling at how well I keep do with no major problems with my numbers.  I keep hoping he gets it – minocin. 

Suzanne
    Participant

[user=1734]heatherbell[/user] wrote:

I was on another website and came across a PDF article from Sarasota Journal, February 27, 1967 – Rheumatoid Arthritis Doesn't Need to Cripple.  Whilst this was only an excerpt it went on to say what we all still hear today when we see our doctors or rheumys “early aggressive treatment will stop the crippling and deformity, etc. etc.”. 

I agree, too, that nothing has changed and I'm so confused as to why anyone thinks it has!  When I first started reading online, it was five years ago and everybody was talking about Enbrel and how things had changed.

Now those same people are asking, 'who has tried Simponi?', 'anyone on Actemra?'.  The same number of posters are on pain meds, the same number of posters have handicapped tags, the same number of posters are applying for disability, etc.  I don't see any change in the online RA community.  If anything, they are sicker from other things now on top of RA.

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

Steven
    Participant

I believe that the widespread use of methotrexate for RA started in the 80's along with recommendations for more aggressive, early treatment. I know it's only anecdotal, so take it for what it's worth, my hand surgeon told me that before the use of mtx he was doing at least one RA joint replacement a week. After mtx that number dropped to only a few a year. I think things have improved, but there is a still a long way to go.

Steven

Eva Holloway
    Participant

heatherbell,

when I was diagnosed over 10 years ago the rheumy told me that my hands would be crippled and deformed in just a few years. I am not waiting for it, but they are still straight. I have been on the AP for over 2 years now and hope it has stopped the problem.

for almost three years I took Prednison, Enbrel, cytoxen and Cellcept and none of those meds helped, they just made me sicker. Thank God I found the Road Back. I   know what you are talking about, I used to be on the Dermatomyositis group and others and when I brought up antibiotics, they either not posted it or the took part of it out. They are still hurting and I am getting better.

Eva:D

Eva Holloway

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘ Nothing Has Changed’ is closed to new replies.