Home Forums General Discussion Not feeling a difference. When will I know

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    vanessac
    Participant

Hello to all,

I started my Antibiotics Dec. 23,  m-w-f 2 x a day. Im still taking prednisone 50mg a day, plaquenil 2 x a day and imuran 50mg 2 x a day.

I haven't noticed any change, but i'm not sure what I'm looking for.

Also, when I take the imuran and the probiotics on the same day it makes me so sick. Has anyone experienced that?

I did want to verify my RX,  the minocin is orange/blue?

I go see Dr. F on January 15th.

Parisa
    Participant

Vanessa,

Have you tried changing brands of probiotics?  There are alot out there.  Which one are you taking?  Have you tried changing the timing of the Imuran and probiotic?  Sometimes little changes can make big differences.  I hope you find a combination that works for you.

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=870]vanessac[/user] wrote:

I started my Antibiotics Dec. 23,  m-w-f 2 x a day. Im still taking prednisone 50mg a day, plaquenil 2 x a day and imuran 50mg 2 x a day.

I haven't noticed any change, but i'm not sure what I'm looking for.

I did want to verify my RX,  the minocin is orange/blue?

Hi Vanessa,

As you've only been on AP for a few weeks, you probably won't notice anything significant in terms of improvement for a while. Dr F may change up your protocol when you go to see him on the 15th, if this is your first visit…or maybe your follow-up?

People who don't exhibit inflammatory components to their rheumatic disease (and you have dematomyositis?) may not experience herxes, so you may not notice any initial worsening, either, which is very common amongst RAers. Dr F should be able to fill you in on this when you see him.

Are you buying the Canadian version of Minocin by Stiefel? If so, the 100mg capsules should be orange and blue (like indigo blue). If you ordered pelleted Minocin, if you shake it close to your ear (and your hearing is reeeaaallly good!) you should also be able to hear the little pellets rattling around. I believe Stiefel also has a powdered version in the same colored caps, so worth checking if you prefer the slow release pellets. The US version of brand Minocin comes in a two-toned green capsule with one end that is transparent, so you can actually see the pellets. However, if you're really inquisitive about this, you can open one capsule to take a look.

Just a tip, when I order from http://www.buylowdrugs.com in Canada, I always state on the order sheet that I want “Stiefel Brand Pelleted Minocin in 100mg caps.”

You could always contact Karen Niedbalski to compare notes with her on how she responded to AP for her dermatomyositis. I believe I passed you the link to the eBulletin before, but just in case, here it is again…she very kindly added her email address to her testimonial for others to connect with her. Just follow the link at the bottom of her remission corner update:

https://www.roadback.org/EmailBlasts/ebulletin_fall08.html

All the best for your Dr F appt. He may have some insights for you about your probiotic/Imuran question, too.

Peace, Maz

Maz
    Keymaster

PS Silly me – Parisa's hubby also has dermatomyositis, too…perhaps she could enlarge on whether her hubby herxed or not for you. Although, with the complication of Lyme, herxes aren't unusual. 😉 

sierrra
    Participant

Six months is the average, though some feel better before or after that time. It's slow, but it works.

Sierra

Texas T.
    Participant

I am very lucky that I was able to start AP within 9 months of be diagnosed with arthritis.  I have it in (in order of occurrence), left knee – November, 2006, right ankle – April 2007, left thumb – June 2007.  I started Doxy August 2007.  There was significant redness in my right ankle from the beginning.  Eleven days after starting the Doxy – the redness was gone.  Eleven days! 

If you have been battling this for a long time – expect it to take quite a while to show signs of improvement.  But you will see and feel improvement.  Stay with AP.

Parisa
    Participant

Sorry to say that there is herxing and inflammation with the dermatomyositis.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘ Not feeling a difference. When will I know’ is closed to new replies.