Home Forums General Discussion Newbie w/mycoplasma and dr questions

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Marie
    Participant

Hi, everyone,

I am new here and have a few questions.

I am a 31-year-old female.  I live in the State of Florida in the United States.

2 1/2 years ago I developed pain in all of my joints and felt fluish.  I was diagnosed with  rheumatoid arthritis and began taking methotrexate.  I sought a second opinion, and that rheumatologist told me I was fine and that I should not take methotrexate.  So, after a month, I stopped methotrexate.  The symptoms went away on their own a month later.  Despite the short duration of symptoms, my hands and wrists showed erosive changes. 

The symptoms resurfaced two weeks ago.  I went back to the rheumatologist, a different on this time, and he ordered the standard blood work.  I also asked him if he could test me for mycoplasma, which he did.  He ordered what I think is called the mycoplasma/IgG/IgA test.  I see him on Wednesday for the results.

Assuming I have a mycoplasma infection, is it necessary to know the exact type of mycoplasma prior to beginning antibiotic treatment?  If so, what test determines that?  The PCR test?  Since I already have erosive changes, I am eager to get going as soon as possible and hate to wait for another test unless it is absolutely necessary.

I am also trying to pick an AP doctor.  I guess my decision is whether to drive to Dr. R. in Lakeland, Florida, who could see me in a week, or see Dr. F. in California in six weeks.

I would appreciate any thoughts.  Thank you very much!  Marie

Goodwife
    Participant

Marie,

my hubby was dx w/SD Aug 06.  We were able to have his GP give us the script for mino. and still really haven't found an “AP” doc near us, although we use a naturopathic doc along with an integrative med doc for the clindy IVs.  If it were me, I would choose the doc close by and shorter wait, only because if you start seeing the Calif. doc, you will probably eventually switch to someone closer, anyway.  If you feel comfortable with the Fla. doc, I would choose him.  That is just my opinion.  Regarding the myco testing, my hubby started AP as soon as he could, so we didn't have the myco testing done.  His doc eventually tested for it (about 3 months into AP) at my insistence – I think he did it to shut me up and he didn't expect it to come back positive, but then he called me one evening and told me how surprised he was that it came back positive, and that he was impressed that I pushed him to do that!  Anyhow, I do not think a positive or negative test dictates what protocol schedule you use, and there are people on AP who have tested negative to myco.  I hope this helps you.  Good luck.

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Marie,

Goodwife's suggestions sound pretty wise, to just get started on AP asap. Things can always be tweaked later, if needs be.

On the main website, under the Education tab (then click Physician's Packet and Historical Protocol…near the bottom of the page, you'll find a chart that lists different forms of mycoplasma and to which antibiotics the different ones seem most responsive.

https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=studies.display&display_id=184#Anchor-Appendix-363

Also, you might find the Mycoplasma Support website quite informative with regards to specialty labs, tests, etc:

http://www.mycoplasmasupport.org/

All the very best to you in your seaches and as you get started on AP!

Peace, Maz

Marie
    Participant

Thanks, ladies.  I'll try to get going ASAP.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘ Newbie w/mycoplasma and dr questions’ is closed to new replies.