Home Forums General Discussion New test for Dx Bi-Polar disorder

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Tiff
    Participant

Hello all,

This article caught my eye because this illness runs in my family.  From the abstract that it links, it looks like the test is for genetic markers (boy that is one tough to understand abstract).  What do you folks think?  Is bi-polar a genetic problem, or is it possibly the result of infection not unlike we suspect with RA?  Can CWD bacteria be the cause for the statement, “…bipolar illness and other psychiatric conditions produced molecular changes in the brain.”?  Just kind of wondering what others thought about this.

DianeWI
    Participant

Hi Tiff,

I think it can go both ways.  Bi-polar can certainly grip us when we consistently feel unwell.  I put myself in this catagory.  I believe there are other factors too.  Let me give two examples of people that my daughter takes care of when she is out doing her home health care runs. 

Example A …An accomplished professor of music who performed professionally on stage drawing large audiences.  A very accomplished pianist who lived, and breathed music.  At age 42 he suffered from a stroke that not only took away all of his creativity but no longer can play even the simpliest song.  His Grand piano is for sale.  He is on disability, is bi-polar, and now has fallen into the rut of needing daily assistance.  Doesn't appear at all professional or gifted.  He is 43.

Example B…A healthy, happily married man with three children is living a normal life. One day he gets notified that his wife and two of his children were killed by a drunk driver.   Mr. B. has been traumatized by this loss.  He begins to lose his health.  He becomes diabetic and suffers with bi-polar illness.  Now seven years later, he is living in an assisted living plan.  He is now, 45.

Both of these men did not have bi-polar to begin with, but rather as a result of traumas.   Perhaps bi-polar is more trauma induced then genetic.  We with the RA issues certainly have physical trauma but an emotional one too with trying to balance out not feeling well with low self-esteem as a result of the disease etc..  It would be interesting to know what exactly happens to the brain when clobbered with various traumas.  Is there die-off in certain areas?   What does pro-longed grief and loss do to the brain? 

Good post Tiff!

Diane

Joe M
    Participant

Bi-polar is a tough one.  There are several varieties, and it is possible both of the men in the examples had bi-polar many years before the traumatic events cycled them into their “lows”.  Bi-polars who are cycling in their manic state can seem energetic, creative, and normal.  These cycles can last for years and years until something triggers a “low” cycle.   Bi-polar is often misdiagnosed for years.  As far as it being an infection, anything is possible.  It seems reasonable that a brain infection could mess with the brain chemicals. 

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=63]Diane/WI[/user] wrote:

Hi Tiff,

Example A …An accomplished professor of music who performed professionally on stage drawing large audiences. A very accomplished pianist who lived, and breathed music. At age 42 he suffered from a stroke that not only took away all of his creativity but no longer can play even the simpliest song. His Grand piano is for sale. He is on disability, is bi-polar, and now has fallen into the rut of needing daily assistance. Doesn't appear at all professional or gifted. He is 43.

Diane, I found this first case interesting in light of the fact that one school of thought is that cardio-vascular diseases may well begin with a bacterial component – infection creating inflammation of blood vessels thereby causing damage and cholesterol rushing to bandaid the damage – and voila…a stroke or heart attack. On the bacteriality website there's some really interesting info about the infection connection related to this. If one does have a 'quiet' infection in the major blood vessels that feed the brain and shock is added to the equation…maybe that would make for quite an explosive mix altering the chemical balance in the brain.

What is fascinating is that my LLMD was telling me that minocycline is now being used (or should be) as a first line treatment after a stroke. I'm not sure of its actions in this case, but it kind of strikes me that it could be quelling some type of infection/inflammation?

Peace, Maz

Tiff
    Participant

It is difficult to diagnose.  We have found that people really have no idea just how horrible the disease can be.  It truly is a burden for the individual and thier family, and it is hidden in many ways so no one really understands the pressures it causes.

I was also recently reading about Celiac again.  When looked at more closely, it is a far more complex problem than you might think.  The genetics on it, which are thought to be pretty much the cause, are not as clear upon closer study as you would think.  It clearly has some other factors playing a part, although what they might be isn't clear.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘ New test for Dx Bi-Polar disorder’ is closed to new replies.