Home Forums General Discussion New symptom or herx?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    marypart
    Participant

I'm getting more and more pessimistic.

Everyday is a new symptom.

My son is now complaining of sore eyes– that was my brother's first symptom– the brother with the worst arthritis in the family… Reiters, likely.

marypart
    Participant

Ok, I went hunting for some answers and found this:

http://actmagazine.mediwire.com/main/Default.aspx?P=Content&ArticleID=128509

Lyme uveitis an uncommon but treatable condition
    Source: Ophthalmology Times
    By: Emmett T. Cunningham, Jr., MD, PhD, MPH
    Originally published:
    October 1, 2004

Very long interview with ophthamologists treating Lyme uveitis. 

Major points:  evidence points to an active infection in the eye; also immune-mediated inflammatory response in  DR4 and DR2; responds to antibiotics;  can get Herx from antibiotics; and maybe prednisone drops would help while using the antibiotics.

Really interesting article.  Front-line doctors (and the microbiologists) really are ahead of the IDSA and CDC.

nspiker
    Participant

marypart,

I have a lyme dx, and sore and blurry eyes are definitely a symptom.   I don't know how long your son has treated for lyme, but it does go away eventually.  Mine is much much better.  Also, I have reactive arthritis as well.

nancy

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=2151]marypart[/user] wrote:

My son is now complaining of sore eyes– that was my brother's first symptom– the brother with the worst arthritis in the family… Reiters, likely.

Mary, bartonella, a coinfection of Lyme is commonly associated with the uveitis Lyme patients sometimes experience. Here is a study linking bartonella to uveitis in HLA B27 positive (ankylosing spondylitis) patients:

http://bjo.bmj.com/content/84/10/1125.abstract

Appropriate treatment for bartonella would include either Rifampin or a fluoroquinolone, like Levaquin. My preference to treat my bartonella was rifampin, as the fluoroquinolones have been associated with tendon rupture in some cases and I was already in enough pain at that time with my tendons. 😉 I tolerated Rifampin very well for several months and the only side-effect I got was tangerine-orange colored excretions.

Peace, Maz

Peace, Maz

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘ New symptom or herx?’ is closed to new replies.