Home Forums General Discussion New swelling in hand

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    tainabell
    Participant

Hi all,

So for a long time, I have had on and off migratory joint pains in a lot of different places, but two specific joints (in my left pinky finger and right middle finger) have been consistently swollen and painful every single day.  Just today, I seemed to have developed a swelling in my LEFT middle finger that I can already tell is going to be one of the persistent ones.

So I'm worried!  Questioning my decision to go off the mtx, since my traditional rheumy threatened me with further joint deterioration if I went on AP.  Here's my question…was it a mistake to switch to doxy or could doxy also be considered AP?  I felt so confident that AP would work, but now with the Lyme dx I'm on the doxy in much greater quantities than the standard AP treatment and I'm scared I'm messing up everything. 

Could the swelling of the new joint be herxing?  The two joints that have been swollen persistently are basically shot now – they have almost no joint space according to xrays.  I'm scared and sad this will happen with the new one. I used to play the guitar.  :crying:  Plus, I'm a writer, so I need my hands for other things, like typing! 

Does anyone think I should go back on minocin?  New herbs?  Does anyone know a quick way to reduce swelling?  Any help woudl be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jen

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Jen – I am sure this is worrying for you. I can answer a few of your questions, the Lymies on the Board will no doubt be able to answer you more fully.

1. Doxy is absolutely AP. It is a second generation tetracycline antibiotic.

2. You may well be experiencing a herx…..highly likely given the recentness of your being diagnosed and switching to the doxy.

3. Ice packs, hydrogen peroxide baths and drinking loads and loads of purified water are non-oral ways to address inflammation and help flush toxins. On the oral side, Diclofenac is an anti-inflammatory (non-salicylate-based) that has worked well for me. You might even want to consider with your doc a small amount of prednisone as a short term measure. Can you call her and discuss? Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Jo
    Participant

Have you checked out the threads on MSM for that inflammation.

Our experience is that the Mino and MSM have been rebuilding Mr Perfects Joints … and I've heard that Doxy does that even better.

Doxy is definitely a part of the AP.

The posts I've read from people with Lyme indicate that they are taking multiple abx to kill the various stages of the Lyme bacteria.  Though the only one I can remember off hand is cyst busters… probably cause it sounds like ghost busters… laughs

I sympathize with you on the frustration on dealing with that traditional rheumy.  He's so focused on small damage now and ignoring the long term damage of continuous deterioration on the mtx and biologicals, not to mention the nasty side effects and the possibility of dying of a simple fungus infection.  Yeech

Don't let that one sided view of treating symptoms while the bacteria kills you get you down.  You're in this for a full remission and you can do this and there are lots of people here to help you get there.

Jo

tainabell
    Participant

[user=465]Jo[/user] wrote:

Our experience is that the Mino and MSM have been rebuilding Mr Perfects Joints … and I've heard that Doxy does that even better.

Thanks for your help, everyone.  Jo, does MSM actually “rebuild” the joints or does it just stop the inflammation? It seems like its doing such wonders for people here on the board!

I have a question about detox….baths are sort of out for me, for a variety of reasons.  But I've been chugging water with lemon juice in it like crazy, trying to detox that way.  Does anyone know how that works?  I'm curious as to the science behind it. 

I'm thinking about going to a sauna.  Kim's post on another thread inspired me to try it out, now I just have to find one!

Anyway, thanks again.

Jo
    Participant

Both Doxy/Mino and the MSM have shown some ability to rebuld the joints. Together they seem to work incredibly fast.  Though I have read that MSM alone rebuilds damaged cartilage.  Who knows, but the combination of Mino and MSM has definitely taken Mr Perfect out of the surgery category for his knees.  It has also unlocked his frozen toe joints and they work normally now and no damage shows up on the x-rays (well maybe some in his big toe-for now)

One thing that I will credit the MSM alone for, is that the rebuilding can't do much good until you get the inflammation under control, because the inflammation will continue to damage the joints.  And MSM does a fantastic job of eliminating inflammation.

Jo

tainabell
    Participant

Okay, I think I'm on board with the MSM.  Going to order some or buy some today.  Can I get it at GNC?  We have one near me.  Or Whole Foods?  Thats a longer walk, and its SNOWING 😯 outside!

I was reluctant to try the MSM before as it wasn't recommended by my doc.  You have to understand, its very scary for me to start on any new drug or even any new food.  I have hives and eating anything is sort of traumatic cause I'm always thinking is it going to cause more hives?  More joint pain?  I think I have a sort of “blame yourself” attitude….like I think its my own fault that I'm sick. 

The other thing that seems a little strange to me about the MSM is how MUCH of it people take.  Is it safe?  Its a chemical, right?  I've been reading back posts on it, but I haven't really been able to figure that out. 

Thanks Jo, for your concern!  I appreciate it. 

Jo
    Participant

It's so strange about the MSM. I've read stories about big, heavy people who get great results on tiny amounts, and tiny little people who need huge amounts.  I've read some people taking small amounts and getting the same results as others using the mega doses.

I've also read of people who take only 5000 mg getting the same results, but it takes them months and months to get there.  I'm not into pain and suffering for months and months when a simple, safe mega dose will get me there in a couple of weeks or less.

The one thing that is common in everything I've read, is that your body knows what it needs and responds individually.  Inflammation seems to indicate mega doses for everyone – at first.  Once the inflammation is gone, the repairs are done – the maintenance dose gets significantly less – and the strange variances in doses comes into play again.

MSM is usually available in all health food  & Vitamin stores.  Normally in the smaller amounts of 500 and 1000 mg.   Good enough for starting with. But kind of expensive once you get past the detox stage and into the mega doses stage.

Gads, can you imagine the number of pills Mr Perfect would have had to take at 25,000 mg —using 500 mg pills –he'd have revolted on me for sure – laughs.

Jo

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘ New swelling in hand’ is closed to new replies.