Home Forums General Discussion New Poll

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Nan – RA
    Participant

Hi everyone…. a while back I polled this board regarding getting ill.  Most of you who answered said that (surprisingly) you don't get ill hardly at all.  As a matter of fact, you have never been healthier…. with the exception of your specific illness… ie: RA, Lymes, Scleraderma, etc. 

I was diagnosed with RA last year and have been on AP for approximately 10 months.  I seem to catch everything that goes by and then some.  It's one thing after another.  I've always been healthy.  Exercised, walked, golfed and worked.  This is so new to me.  When I do get sick, it floors me.  I am worthless.  I can't seem to do anything without great effort.  I am on vitamins and I try to eat healthy.

So…. I am once again polling to see if it's only me or what????  :sick:  Any suggestions?

Nan

amyid
    Participant

Nan,

Wish I had some great insight to help.  But, I am one of those who doesn't really get sick now.  And that is saying something!!!  In fall of '06 alone, I had 2 severe bacterial sinus infections and a serious fungal infection.  It  seems as if I have been fighting illness my whole life.  First ear infections, then strep throat (constantly until early adulthood, when they finally yanked them) then sinuses.  About 9 month prior to my RA diagnosis I started to feel really good.  No infections, less aches, etc.  Then BAM hit the wall with joints and pain and fatigue.  Then the diagnosis.  I haven't had a bad bacterial infection (and just a couple of cold viruses) since.  However, my fatigue and pain with the RA is no fun.  I don't know if it is my immune system or if the many, many antibiotics I was on got rid of the “bugs” in my respiratory tract and now the mycoplasmas have a chance to go nuts.  (Pretty scientific, eh:P).  Anyway, I have seemed to feel a bit better with the Minocin, and it's only been a couple of months.  I am off to Iowa tomorrow for some IV AP.

I hope you find answers.  One note:  when I was having constant infections, I was referred to an immunologist who test my Immunoglobulin levels.  I was found to be moderately deficient in one and that can lead to increased infections.  (This isn't something you “catch”, by the way).  My levels have since come up.  Maybe you could speak to someone about getting your levels checked?

Best of luck,

Amy

DX Rheumatoid Arthritis- 3/2008, Began AP 8/2008-continued various forms of AP through present. It's long and complicated- have a question re: my protocol, just ask 🙂

John McDonald
    Participant

Nan – I am one of those who, since starting AP, just about never get sick. If the family gets a cold and I do catch it I only get faint symptoms for hours, not days. It's downright weird. I recall in Scammell's book that Dr. Brown described “not getting sick” as an AP side effect.

So what's up with Nan? What AP dose are you on, how often and are you taking supplements that might hurt rather than help? I swore off most supplements, especially vitamin D and fish oils, as a nod to the MP just about the same time that I started AP. Maybe that is my secret. But others here supplement hard with D and fish oil, so maybe not.

Another funny thing; a few years ago I corresponded with CFS patients who longed to get sick. They figured that they didn't get colds or flu because their immune system was wrecked. Well that could be plausible too. So what to make of it?

Goodwife
    Participant

Not to throw another monkey wrench in it, but my hubby (dx w/SD Aug 06) went his whole life almost never sick until his appendectomy in 1993 – then developed a nasty infection which required additional surgery to drain.  He still remained extremely healthy, but I believe his mycoplasma infec. stemmed from the append. and following surgery.    Still is very healthy aside from SD symptoms and occasional fatigue.

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Nan,

I might have been one of the cocky ones who answered before and said I managed to avoid everything since starting abx therapy!:blush: Okay, so here's the scoop….in Feb (about two months into beginning AP, after switching from high dose Lyme therapy), I managed to get one of the worst flu bugs of my life…horrendous chest infection. Hubby had it, too, so I figured it wasn't a herx that time and we both got hit pretty hard, but it seemed to hit me harder, lasting a good 3 to 4 weeks whereas my hubby was up and running and back to his old self within 10 days. This was a strange episode, though, because I hadn't had anything like since I first got Lyme and had a similar chest infection about a month into it. For several years prior to getting Lyme, then RA right on its heels, I was pretty resistant to everything and never caught a thing.

Fast forward 6 months to today….seems I'm hypersensitive to a lot of things now. Had a few mosquito bites tonight (you know those mosquitos that could pass for helicopters??? yeah, the big dudes) and one bit me on a finger joint at the base of my hand, where fingers meet back of hand….and the thing caused my joint to swell to about the size of a large grape. Never had anything like this, even when my fingers were like sausages when I first got Lyme. It was pretty angry and red looking, too. Was cuddled up to hubby on the sofa and he also got bitten, but nothing like this. I took a benadryl and it's gone down a bit, but there is still a big pocket of edema under the skin.

I find this a bit odd, considering I've never reacted to mozzy bites like this in the past. Although, it does seem my skin has become a lot more hypersensitive to a lot of things of late….soap, shampoo, facial creams…getting small outbreaks of hives from time to time.

All in all, my feeling is just that my hypersensitivity reaction has just ramped up this past year and I'm reacting in strange new ways to bugs and other environmental things that never bothered me in the least before.

So sorry to hear you're so floored by everything that comes your way, Nan. Could it be that, like I'm finding, you're just a little more reactive now? As synchronicity had it, I was re-reading some of the New Arthritis Breakthrough today and taking in some of his thoughts on the hyperallergenic state of his rheumatoid patients… and couldn't help thinking just what a smart cookie that Dr Brown was….

Peace, Maz

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Nan – I have had two head colds since beginning my new abx regime in April. Quite unusual for me. When I asked my AP Doc, she said that she often finds people on a new AP protocol have colds that come and go. Hopefully this will be a temporary thing for you and maybe something that you are going through while your immune system is adjusting? Do you have an AP doc you could ask for input on this? In the 5 years on my original protocol, I barely had a sniffle and am hoping to get back to that. Lynnie 

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

awesomemb
    Participant

Nan, are you taking a immuno-suppressant. Some rheumys give those to lower the immune system calming the RA but making you more prone to everything else? I am a big believer in washing hands a lot, using saline in your nose everyday and fresh air. Saline washes the germs out of nose so they don't end up making you sick. You can get it at drug store or grocery. I get one cold per year. I do take allergy medicine regularly. Best regards, MB

Nan – RA
    Participant

Thank you to all of you who answered….

I went on Monday and had further blood work done.  They also did a urine test.  Not quite sure why yet.  I'm really anxious.  I posted yet another question on the board regarding thick blood.  On my last blood tests (almost a year ago)… my blood tested quite thick.  Good grief.  I feel like I'm in this huge vortex. 

John….. in answer to your question, I have worked myself up from 100 mg. MWF to 100 mg. every day.  The only supplement I take is a product called Mangosteen Plus by Vemma.  I started taking Prilosec because my stomach is messed up and found it to be a little harsh for me.  My newest doctor gave me a script for Zantac and then I contracted yet another “germ” and haven't been doing well so I discontinued them as well.  My energy level is quite low.  Well, maybe by some other folks measurements it's not.  I do work each day in a high level stress job.  However, lately I've had less and less energy and taken more time off.  That is totally NOT like me at all.  I am not one to take lots of supplements like I read about on this board.  I am very sensitive to prescription meds and OTC meds.  The only pain pill I take right now is extra strength tylenol. 

I don't get just colds…. I get everything that goes around.  I get stomach flus, viruses, sinus problems, inertia, etc. 

Maz…. could you be right and I am “hyper-allergenic” and reactive now???? I hope not!  I'm 63 and in my mind's eye I'm 23.  I still have tons of energy…. again, in my mind.  It is extremely frustrating for me.

Lynnie…. you could be right.  Maybe I'm just adjusting?  It's been almost a year that I've been on AP.  I do feel a little better pain-wise since I've upped the dosage.  However, it's wreacked havoc with my digestive system!

MB…. no, I'm not taking any immunosuppresants that I know of.  Also, in the business I'm in we have to wash our hands many, many times a day.  I cannot take allergy meds as I've mentioned above … I'm very sensitive to any meds.  Allergy meds tend to make my heart beat erratically.  Heck, most meds do! 

Again, thank you to each one of you that took the time from your busy schedules to try to help out a fellow sufferer…. I pray each and every day for a solution to all of our problems….and relief from pain and suffering. 

God bless.

Nan

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘ New Poll’ is closed to new replies.