Home Forums General Discussion New in Houston

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    GoinCrazy
    Participant

Just heard from my GP tonight and I'm off on a scary journey with RA.

First, I would really appreciate any input on AP doctors in the Houston area.
    My case seems mild compared to the pain I read about. What guidance would you have as to rushing into medications versus watchful waiting?

Thank you
    GoinCrazy

A Friend
    Participant

[user=2343]GoinCrazy[/user] wrote:

My case seems mild compared to the pain I read about. What guidance would you have as to rushing into medications versus watchful waiting?

Thank you
    GoinCrazy

GoinCrazy,

Lufkin is not all that far from you.  There is a very good and experienced AP physician there.  The moderators can send you information on who is available in your area.  When I was first diagnosed, there were so few AP physicians, I actually went to Iowa from Texas every 6 months.  Also, if you need to stay overnight in Lufkin, there is a very nice facility near the hospital and the doctor's office for patients coming from out of town, and the fee is only about $20 per night.  (Apparently a weathy person's estate left money for this to be built.) 

Hope you will be optimistic.  Help is near.  

AF

PS  About your question about waiting to begin treatment…. In my own case, my doctor did mycoplasma tests on my first visit, which confirmed the presence of infection.  Because of these tests, the IVs I had as an outpatient in the hospital were eventually paid by my insurance company.  If I had not had not had those tests, these would not have been paid.  I'd had to pay for the IVs at the time, because I did not have the results.  However, when the results came back, and my insurance company had a copy of them, they sent me a check that reimbursed me. The IVs are an approved procedure by the FDA for treatment of infection, and therefore were covered. 

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi GoinCrazy,

I'll send you a PM (private message) with the full list of TX AP docs in a moment. To retrieve you PM, just look to top right of page and click where it will say, “You have 1 new message.”

So very sorry to hear about your RA diagnosis. I surely know how that feels to hear this news and it takes a while to get over the shock and depression that accompanies this news. You will find a lot of friends here who understand how you feel and you're welcome to vent or just spill your guts when you need to…we've all been in your shoes.

A couple of good first steps are:

Brown was very much of the opinion that the earlier AP could be started, the swifter the turnaround. Once joint damage occurs, it cannot be reversed, so the early bird catches the worm in this case. 😉

Very important to understand that AP is a slow therapy. It takes many years for us to become so unwell and it takes time to retrain the immune system to return to normal function. Brown's approach was a “low and slow” approach for RA. RA tissues tend to be quite hypersensitive and a herxheimer reactionis to be expected in the early days.

Hope this will help to get you better acquainted with AP, GoinCrazy. Feel free to post any questions you may have about the therapy…we're all here to support you on your road back.

Peace, Maz

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

Thank you
    GoinCrazy

Welcome to the RBF discussion forum.

My husband was diagnosed with very early (yet rapid) onset RA nearly two years ago.  I was already well aware of AP therapy due to our daughter's prior diagnosis of systemic scleroderma.  So, he started AP, actually before his diagnosis was confirmed by a rheumatologist.  He was diagnosed (already taking minocin for several weeks) and within about three months total, he was fine, no further symptoms.  Every once in awhile if he goes off the minocin for a few months, his hands get a little stiff and he goes back on the minocin.  So, I believe, getting started early before any damage was done and before too much inflamation had set in really worked for him.

Good luck in making your decision.

Cheryl

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘ New in Houston’ is closed to new replies.