Home Forums General Discussion New Guy-Old disease…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    davew
    Participant

Hello All…

I am new to the site, but not new to RA (1982) nor am I new to AP although it wasn't called that way back when. I was treated in Mexico in 1982 and was on Tetracycline for 1 1/2 years. My RA basically went into remission until 1997 when it slowly began to return.

Now I am back at the severe stage and cannot tell you how glad I am to have found this site.

I contacted APV Diana and she provided a list of Drs in my State that may help and I have an appointment on the 3rd of Sept. Needless to say, I am looking forward to this!

I am pleased to see so much information in one place and such positive results.

Anyway, it is great to meet you all!

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

Dave,

Welcome, glad you've joined us. As you peruse the old posts on this bboard, I am sure that you will find the information and support you need to get back to the remission that you experienced before with tetracycline.

Cheryl F.

davew
    Participant

Thanks Cheryl!

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Dave – welcome! There is alot of useful discussion/info on this new Board (set up in Feb) and you can also access useful info on the old RB Board. There is a link to it under the General Discussion and Personal History tabs. When you get to it, you can search the archives by just typing in a topic you might want to look for in the search function. Also, lots of very useful info from the main page of this site, particularly under the 'Education' section – just roll your cursor over it to see drop-down menu. Sorry you need us, but glad to have you! Lynnie    

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Goodwife
    Participant

I welcome you as well and good luck with getting back to health.  This site has a lot of helpful information, not just on this bulletin board, but testimonials, success stories, and doctor information.  And LOTS of helpful people!  Good luck and keep posting so that we know your progress!

davew
    Participant

Thank you Lynnie! I have been reading a lot and am grateful for the resource. I do know first hand how well this works but am now glad to read the progression of the treatment and the success rates of those who use it.

Dave

davew
    Participant

Thanks Goodwife! I am utilizing the site to the max! What a great place. I finally get to meet people who are experiencing what I experienced many years a go. To see it growing as a viable treatment does my heart (and my bones:D) good.

Have a great day!

Dave

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=664]davew[/user] wrote:

I am new to the site, but not new to RA (1982) nor am I new to AP although it wasn't called that way back when. I was treated in Mexico in 1982 and was on Tetracycline for 1 1/2 years. My RA basically went into remission until 1997 when it slowly began to return.

Dave, it's a pleasure to meet you, too, and so glad you found the site and look forward to learning about your earlier experiences on AP! I'm fascinated that you found AP in Mexico in 1982.  I also took tetracycline last year, during my very severe phase, along with biaxin, and found it worked well, but am now on minocycline (third generation tetracycline) and azithromycin and continuing to progress.

How did you manage to find a doc in Mexico who did this treatment? Was it offered as a first line treatment or did you have to seek it out? Do you remember the doses you were given and if it was daily dosing or pulsed? Wonderful that you experienced remission for so long – any idea what may have caused this relapse?

Hope you don't mind all the questions, but it's just so interesting to know this was available to you in a different country 26 years ago!

Peace, Maz

chriscw8
    Participant

Hi Dave,

Welcome.  I have mild RA with Pulmonary Fibrosis being my major problem.   I'm currently in my 8th week of AP (brand name Minocin), which gives me relief in my fingers and knuckles and has also helped my Acid Reflux.  Don't know about the lungs yet but I'm hoping for a good result.

Glad you are here and I know AP will help you again just as it did in 1982!  Please keep us posted on your doctor appointment and how you are progressing.  There are many good people here that can help you and answer your questions.

Christine

davew
    Participant

Thanks for the welcome Maz!

My early experiences were wonderful for me although it wasn't known as AP back then. It was just “that Doctor down in Mexicali”… LOL

I had a severe case of traumatic onset RA as the result of a black widow spider bite back in the winter of 81. I was treated by a Rheumatologist at a well know hospital in the mid west and was given a fairly large dose of naproxin. It not only didn't work well, it gave me gastric issues which were almost worse that the RA.

The Mexico connection came about as one of those “I know a guy who knows a guy that has a cousin that went to Mexico” kind of things. I was really quite desperate and would look into anything for some relief. I kept on chasing down the story until I found the “cousin” that had gone to Mexico and was able to obtain the clinic's address. I phoned down there and made an appointment.

I flew to San Diego and Greyhounded it the rest of the way to Calexico which is the US side of that border city. I then taxied in to Mexicali BC and the cabbie knew exactly where to go. The clinic was a small, extremely clean little place with a waiting room filled with folks just like me; in pain…

I met with Dr C and after xrays, an exam and some conversation, he said “I'm going to help you”… He gave me a fairly huge shot of Tetracycline in my arm and a prescription to the pharmacia for about 400 capsules. With instructions to take one a day for a year and stop if you can…. I don't know the strength and in all honesty, at that time, I didn't care. If it worked, it was good enough for me. The amazing thing was the cost.. I spent less than $300.00 for the appointment, xrays and the prescription!

After the visit, I went back to my motel in the States and prepared to go back home. The next day it was Grey dog back to San Diego and a plane back home. About half way back, I actually began to notice an easing of my hip pain. I was somewhat amazed to feel anything so soon. Well, I arrived home and in three days, was back at work. Then the Herx hit.. Of course I didn't know that was what it was, but this site has explained many things to me that were a mystery before. It was limited to my wrists, which was quite painful, but that only lasted a few months and then a gradual improvement to about 95% of functionality. A true miracle for me…

I returned to duty with the military reserves, maintained my full time job and lead a fairly normal life.

In 1997, I began to get pain back in my elbow and slowly it began to take it's toll on other joints. I tried to maintain with aspirin until gastric issues curtailed that. When I discussed AP with my current Rheummie, she completely dismissed the AP system and did't seem to interested in helping me.

When I found this website, I just about jumped for joy (if I could:D)…

I don't know if that answered your questions Maz, but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it….

Thanks again for the welcome and I will be sure to post my progress.:)

edited for “fat finger” mistakes…

davew
    Participant

Hi Chris and thanks for the welcome! I see that we are neighbors! I live over by the Zoo… Not IN the Zoo mind you, just near it.:D

I am glad to hear that you are getting relief from the pain in your hands and I sincerely hope that your lungs are helped as well.

We should maybe coompare notes as to what is available in our area for this. Whatcha think?

Take care and feel good!

Dave

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Wow Dave -what a fascinating story you have, thanks so much for sharing it. BTW, my condition is almost as longstanding as yours (first symptoms in 1987!). I have been the veritable poster child for mino. I am so glad you found us and look forward to sharing this second journey to wellness with you. Lynnie  

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Patti D
    Participant

Hey Dave,

Welcome! I read your story with amazement. So bold of you and your ability to step out of the box back in 1982. That was a time when what your doctor said was gospel and no one questioned his/her authority. Awesome! The black widow part really creeped me out:shock: but I believe my RA was set loose by lyme disease which I was treated for first. Ticks , spiders,  both are gross. 

I am really new to the board also, 7 months on AP and feeling better. I find this the best place to get the most information. It is also a great place to unload and the experience people have here is quite amazing. I am hoping your roadback to health is fast without too many bumps on it's path. I am confident you will be feeling better real soon!!

Happy days!

Patti

Maz
    Keymaster

Dave, thanks for the great roundup of your early experience with AP. I agree with Patti, it really must have been some feat to not only figure out the type of treatment you wanted and then to doggedly persist until you found the contact and info on the doc in Mexico. WOW! That really is impressive and what fighting spirit!

By the way, I don't know if you have found the Progress Threads already, but you're most welcome to paste your story above into your own progress thread, if you'd like to do that to get one started. The purpose of these threads is to keep track of our own progress and for others to see what we've done on our road back. Everyone's story is unique, but it's fascinating to read them. Here's the direct link:

http://www.rbfbb.org/view_forum.php?id=3

Peace, Maz

DragonSlayer
    Participant

WELCOME, davew:

Your history does not sound like RA and you were not in the 'typical' risk group.

However, you were in the group for some reactive arthritis.  And since it has not yet resolved completely, I hope that you will consider getting tested for the HLA B27 antigen.  Persistent cases of ReA often evolve into spondylitis. 

If your symptoms are asymmetrical and now include morning stiffness, lumbago, sciatica, bursitis, and/or ribcage pains (costochondritis), there would be more justification for having this test performed.

Otherwise, you probably did have a ReA that has reemerged with either the same or another opportunistic infection.

Good luck with your own AP,
    John

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘ New Guy-Old disease…’ is closed to new replies.