Home Forums General Discussion Naltrexone in low dose for RA

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    jaydee
    Participant

Has anyone heard or tried this? Sounds trully amazing, also go to the homepage and read all about, I am very impressed

http://www.lowdosenaltrexone.org/others.htm

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

Jaydee:

The local AP doctor that I see (not Dr. F) uses LDN.  I started LDN a little over a month ago.  There is a current clinical trial at Stanford that I considered and was selected to enrol in, but I backed out because it was just too far to drive everyother week for the better part of a year.  The local AP doctor suggests LDN for most of his patients.  I took it for a month, and I did not see any difference, not good or bad.  No side effects, no improvement, nothing.  I asked him at my appointment last week, how long I should expect until I noticed anything, he told me that I should discontinue it.  He said that about half of his patients using it are seeing results, the other have, nothing.  So, I tried it!

I had read the site that you provided the link to and have been interested.  It sounded like another, “Can't hurt, could help” type of treatment.  Certainly worth looking into.  I had to get the LDN at a compounding pharmacy, but it was not expensive and it was covered by my insurance (BC).

Cheryl

Parisa
    Participant

My husband just started this a week ago.  I'll post if, when we note any changes.

Susan LymeRA
    Participant

I tried to get three doctors to prescribe it for me and none of them ever would.  They did not give me a good reason, just shook their heads and said this would not work for you.  Beats me as to why.

dianaw
    Participant

yes, I tried it for 6 months and it did nothing for me.

I don't know may be you have to be on it longer.:(

Parisa
    Participant

Six months sounds like a good try.  It would be interesting to know why some respond and some don't.

GJH
    Participant

I also tried for about seven months and Naltrexone  didn't do anything for me.

Todd WI
    Participant

I've been on LDN for several months.  I've made some significant progress, but I suspect it was due to AP and not the LDN.  But I was doing both, so it's hard to completely discount the LDN.

I did have one side-effect from the LDN, that being wild dreams.  No nightmares, but definitely wild dreams.  Rather entertaining actually.

Todd

patchoulee
    Participant

I too was on it for a year and it did nothing tried changing doses everything did nothing. Didn't stop progression and didn't give any symptom relief just heart palpitations and headaches.

Angela

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

[user=67]Todd WI[/user] wrote:
    I did have one side-effect from the LDN, that being wild dreams.  No nightmares, but definitely wild dreams.  Rather entertaining actually.

Wow, now that yo0u mention it, that happended to me too.  They weren't bad dreams, just really vivid, and lots of dreams.  I had forgotten that but it was clearly from the LDN! 

Cheryl

Parisa
    Participant

My husband is sleeping really well at  night now.  Hopefully it will continue.

jtubman
    Participant

Parisa,

Is your husband still sleeping well while taking Naltrexone (LDN). (if so how much and how often does he take it). We are very interested to know as my wife is having lots of sleeping problems with her skin rash and the itch, from her Dermatomysositis. If we can find something that will help her sleep, maybe that will help her recover from DM (she takes 200 mg Minocin every 2nd night) . Also her menstrual cycle seems to be more frequent of late- I wonder if that could make her rash worse.

-Jim and kathryn

Parisa
    Participant

Hi Jim,

My husband is taking 4.5 mg right before bedtime.  There is a yahoo website dedicated to low dose naltrexone, http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/lowdosenaltrexone/

and some people work up to this amount I believe.  However, my husband started out at this dosage and after this first week or so of adjustment does fine on it.  His sleep is still pretty good but has been a little interrupted lately but we've been switching around some of his antibiotics so it's hard to pinpoint what exactly is causing what.

My feeling with the naltrexone is that it doesn't seem to have side effects or interactions with other drugs and at the same time can have mmune modulating effects so even if you don't notice off the bat great changes it is making subtle changes in the immune response.  That's worth at least a six month trial in my book.

I've been surpised to see so many dermatomyositis posters lately.  Sorry others have to deal with this horrible disease but nice to have others to bounce ideas off of.

Susan LymeRA
    Participant

I tried to get 3 doctors to prescribe LDN when I first heard about it 2 yrs ago and no one would.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

There is a video on this on Mercola site. Link below. Lynnie

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/01/06/can-ldn-really-help-multiple-sclerosis-rheumatoid-arthritis-and-other-autoimmune-diseases.aspx

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘ Naltrexone in low dose for RA’ is closed to new replies.