Home Forums General Discussion Mycoplasma Infection in Dogs

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Cheryl F
    Keymaster

For the past several weeks, my dog, an eight year old golden retriever named Haley, has had a dry cough.  At first we thought that she had something stuck in her throat.  As it continued, we began to worry.  I have read that sometimes these mycoplasma infections can have a dry cough associated, so this morning, I “googled” “mycoplasma infection in dogs”, I also looked on the http://www.immed.org site, they used to have a section on pets, but I couldn't find it.  Anyway, the third hit on the google search came up with “Kennel Cough” being a mycoplasma infection.  I read the description and it fit to a “T” what we were seeing.  She spent several days at the vet in a kennel for pancreatitis a month ago.  So, Kennel Cough was a potential. We took her to the vet and that is what they DXd.  Haley started AP this morning with Doxy! 

In all seriousness, your pets can get these infections too, don't rule it out when they have problems! 

Cheryl F.

SusanSD
    Participant

Good grief! I hope your dog recovers quickly, but how great it was that you knew to look up mycoplasma infections in dogs!

P.S. Cheryl, I submitted the abstract to ARHP section of the ACR Conference. We'll see if it gets acceted. On the plus side, the re-evaluation by my OT showed that my grip strength increased by 19 pounds for my left hand and 10 pounds for my right hand!

Michele
    Participant

Cheryl,

Sorry to hear that your dog is ill! But hurray for the Vet!

It makes me wonder why veternarians acknowledge chronic lyme and mycoplasma and human MD's are so rare to acknowledge these diseases!

Susan,

Kudos to your grip strength progress!!!
    Are your classes done? Our commencement is Saturday. Stay off 81 through my city!!! 😛

Michele

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

Michele:

It is frustrating that mainstream western medicine docs won't acknowledge these infections.

WOW! Your school concludes early, Jess isn't out until mid-June. She is itching to get home and get away from dorm food.

Cheryl

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Kennels are the place most dogs will pick up Kennel Cough. It sounds terrible but  not terribly serious, but IS highly contagious. The C5 vaccine that dogs (at least here in Oz) have to have before being accepted for a kennel is not terribly effective either. Never knew about it being a mycoplasma before. Maybe there's more to it. A dog of mine had it twice (both times picked up in a park) and never seemed to have any lasting effects. 

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘ Mycoplasma Infection in Dogs’ is closed to new replies.