Home Forums General Discussion Mycoplasma coming through the tap?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Joe M
    Participant

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/15/health/15shower.html?em

This article is about M.avium, but I think all mycos could enter our homes this way.

linda
    Participant

Would spraying the shower head with a bleach/water mixture kill the bacteria? Or wiping it with alcohol?

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Joe;
         The same story was on the news here in Canada last night.They called the bugs micobacteria which I guess is the same as micoplasma.It's not really surprising as the bugs are everywhere .We have a bit of iron in our water so I regularly dunk the shower head in bleach to clean it.That should do the trick unless they also live in the damp piping.
                       Lynne

TischSEB
    Participant

I read a version of this article in USA Today, said bleach may not help…

“he study found one case where cleaning showerheads with bleach actually lead the mycobacteria to proliferate, suggesting they may be resistant to chlorine. “It's anecdotal, but cleaning may paradoxically allow them to grow after other bacteria are killed,” Baumgartner says.”
    http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2009-09-14-showerhead-bacteria_N.htm

maz.aust
    Participant

Good find ,,,

Wonder if the bacteria is able to be controlled/killed with fluoride ?

Dec07: Diagnosed PRA, (CTD; Fibromyalgia; suspected Lyme):
    Mar08: Diet to heal gut/bolster immune system (no gluten, dairy, sulphites or sugar)

Jan 2018: ABX Mon/Wed/Fri (started AP 2008)
    1/2 x 150mg Roxithromycin(Biasig), 1/2 x 150mg Clarithromycin (Klacid),
    1/2 x Fungillin, 1 x 250mg Cephalexin (Keflex)

All off days Probiotics

linda
    Participant

It seems like those bugs can do anything! Now what do we do?

Joe M
    Participant

I don't know Linda.  But it made me think if these bugs are in our showers and tap water, nearly every person has been exposed yet only a small percentage get an “autoimmune” disease.  I'm convinced there is a genetic component to these diseases.  I also think someday, sooner than we think, scientists will discover a way to modify the right genes and shut off these diseases.

The reason I think this is because of another story I read a few weeks ago about protein folding.  Proteins “fold” in order to multiply, and some scientists think malfunctions in this folding is what causes many chronic diseases.  Well, because the number of ways these proteins can fold is nearly infinite, scientists have started a project like SETI (search for extraterrestrial intelligence) and users who sign up agree to allow these scientists to use their home computers for their calculations. 

I'm weak on the details, but if you want to read more about it, here is a link

http://www.ehow.com/how_4802505_stanford-cure-disease-computer.html

Technology is expanding at an ever increasing rate, and the smart use of technology along with the proper targeted research could yield results faster than we think, at least I hope so!!! 

SandiS
    Participant

Joe,

My argument with my rhumy is that the response may be genetic but the cause is infection. Eliminate the infection and then there is no need for the response. Of course , he thinks I'm nuts but is having a hard time explaining my improvement  His latest thought is that he must have misdiagnoised me to start with because he is so convinced you can't get better with RA. 

Sandi

BeatingRA
    Participant

[user=31]Lynne G./SD[/user] wrote:

They called the bugs micobacteria which I guess is the same as micoplasma.

What a coincidence, earlier this week, I was reading a book about the immune system and mycobacteria was mentioned.  I was wondering if it was the same as mycoplasma so looked them up on Wikipedia.  The first thing it says on the mycoplasma page is “not to be confused with mycobacteria”.

BeatingRA
    Participant

[user=921]SandiS[/user] wrote:

His latest thought is that he must have misdiagnoised me to start with because he is so convinced you can't get better with RA.

Sandi,

My former Rheumy tried that one on me too.  He would rather admit that he made a mistake than agree that the minocin helped me.  It makes me so mad that even though they see improvement they will not admit it's the minocin.  I fired him.

Theresa

linda
    Participant

I hope you're right Joe, about scientists being able to shut off these diseases soon. Btw, I really like the new biologic, Simponi, not least b/c it's once a month and doesn't hurt. They've used a different preservative than the one used in Humira, and it's an injectable pin, so no jabbing yourself with a needle. Obviously there's still a needle, but it's incredibly small and thin. It still hurts afterward as it spreads thru my system, but again not as much as Humira. Only one dose but already my hip pain is almost gone. Nothing else, tho, which has me a little depressed b/c it indicates that most of my problems are from FMS. However, it's too early to tell if I will find more relief. Anyway, say hello to Michelle, hope she is doing well. Thanks for the links, too.

Joe M
    Participant

Hi Linda-

Always happy to hear that you are feeling better!  I think you are right, too early to tell how much better you will feel.  We tried the pen thing with Humira, but Michelle actually likes the traditional shots better.  Go figure.

Joe

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘ Mycoplasma coming through the tap?’ is closed to new replies.