Home Forums General Discussion Mycoplasma and High Blood Pressure

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    MMW
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone out there that has mycoplasma also have high blood pressure?

I am wondering if the two are connected?

Has anyone noticed that their BP came down after using minocycline?

MMW

nspiker
    Participant

MMW,

My blood pressure has been irregular since this all began.  I also have mycoplasma hominis, and possible lyme/babesia.  In fact, last week when the infusion nurse was here for my Clindamycin IV's, she commented on my blood pressure, which was high two days, and then back to a moderately normal range.  The first day of Clindamycin IV's, my blood pressure dropped to 110/70.  I bought a blood pressure machine this week because I can feel when it's elevated and wanted to test myself.

I have asked doctors about this, and they said that it can be contributed to an infection.  It's also a symptom of either lyme or babesia.  My instincts tell me that it is all related.  I did buy some hawthorne berry, because it naturally lowers blood pressure.  What makes this all so ridiculous, is that when I've taken my own B.P. this week, it's been 120/80. 

I can't figure it out either…..

nancy

MMW
    Participant

I hear you nspiker!

Mine is so irregular also.   I do think it is related to the mycoplasma but just am not sure.   It was great to hear it came down after your clindamy.  

I was reaching for hope that we all will get normalized with our blood pressure after AP.

Thanks for the Hawthorne tip.   I no very little about hypertension and now need to learn all about that one too.  

MMW

Lakes
    Participant

Hi MMW!

Yes, I developed high bp around the same time my SD became more aggressive. It's fairly typical with SD and can lead to critical organ issues. I started an ACE inhibitor (lisinopril) 6 weeks ago, but it hasn't brought my bp down enough. I'll be starting a calcium channel blocker this week. I also ordered some good enzymes and expect they will help. 

I haven't noticed a connection between bp and minocin but since I started the lisinopril 4 weeks into my AP therapy, the connection would be hard to isolate. I would like to think that all of my symptoms will eventually be gone with continued use of AP!

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=1619]MMW[/user] wrote:

Hi MMW,

You might find these links interesting to start in your searches. Dr M was an AP doc, recently retired in Maryland:

http://www.drmirkin.com/morehealth/G144.htm

Dr M says in regards to Chlamydia, Mycoplasma and Ureaplasma:

“They can cause transverse myelitis (paralysis of the spine) (1); gall stones (2); a chronic sore throat (3); red itchy eyes, pain on looking at light and blindness (4); arthritis (5,19); brain and nerve damage with symptoms of lack of coordination, headaches and passing out; spotting between periods or uterine infections (6); kidney stones (7); testicular pain; asthma (8); heart attacks (9); strokes (10); cerebral palsy (11); premature birth (12); high blood pressure (13); nasal polyps (14); stuffy nose in newborns (15); chronic fatigue (16); belly pain (17); muscle pain (18); confusion, passing out and death (19); coughing, bloody diarrhea, and anal itching and bleeding.”

And a further study on Chlamydia Pneumoniae (CPn) and hypertension:

http://hyper.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/31/2/589

CPn has also been tied with heart disease and heart attacks. Studies out of Harvard found  that male cardiac infarction victims had elevated CPn titers and had better outcomes when treated after their first heart attack with azithromycin.

JMHO, but this whole topic is pretty interesting, because the L-forms of these organisms are known to be voracious cholesterol consumers. Should they be harbored in the blood stream in our blood vessels, then perhaps it is little wonder arterial plaques occur in these locations. The infection creates inflammation, the cholesterol rushes to these locations to patch up blood vessels and the organisms have a ready food supply en situe.

Peace, Maz

MMW
    Participant

Thanks Maz.   

You are right, it is a very interesting correlation between cholesterol and the L form bacteria being able to bring on hypertension.   It makes sense.

MMW

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Maz wrote:

this whole topic is pretty interesting, because the L-forms of these organisms are known to be voracious cholesterol consumers

Very interesting Maz. Does that mean that they lower cholesterol levels? My last major bloodwork showed that my cholesterol had dropped so low it was under the lowest number in normal range. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=30]lynnie_sydney[/user] wrote:

Maz wrote:

this whole topic is pretty interesting, because the L-forms of these organisms are known to be voracious cholesterol consumers

Very interesting Maz. Does that mean that they lower cholesterol levels? My last major bloodwork showed that my cholesterol had dropped so low it was under the lowest number in normal range. Lynnie

Hi Lynnie,

That has been a question that I've also asked in the past, as my total cholesterol was on the moderate high side just prior to experiencing the overt symptoms of Lyme that triggered my RA very quickly on its heels. Six months later, when at my worst, my total cholesterol bottomed out and was the lowest it had ever been at 141.

Here's what Dr. Lida Mattman has to say about CWDs (cell-wall deficients) and cholesterol:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0ISW/is_252/ai_n6110580/

“Often mycoplasmal infections remain without symptoms until the victim suffers a traumatic event (stress, injury, accident etc.) These stressing events enable the mycoplasma to begin consumption of cholesterol and symptoms may begin to present. The mechanism of this deterioration is thought to be suppression of the immune system secondary to stress.”

The following is a relatively old study from 1970:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC247552/

Cholesterol Requirement of Mycoplasmas

There is much info out there on mycos and cholesterol, but here is another from our very own RBF website:

https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/education.display/display_id/107.html

Mycoplasmas: What enables them to cause disease?

“They depend on the host for nutrients such as cholesterol, amino acids, fatty acids, etc.”

“For example: one of the favorite places of mycoplasma is the mucous membrane in the respiratory tract. Mycoplasma needs cholesterol for membrane function and growth, and there is an abundance of cholesterol in the bronchial tubes of the respiratory tract. This large amount of cholesterol in the membrane surrounding the mycoplasma may affect interaction with the immune system's phagocytes (white blood cells).”

My own personal suspicion is that this may be an important connection that may lead to many of us being so low in hormones, too, as cholesterol is an important building block in hormone manufacture.

So, do they lower cholesterol levels? I have to believe that, yes, I do think this is one cause of lowered cholesterol levels. Another interesting connection that comes to mind is the use of statins in rheumatic disease…I read somewhere (link on my old laptop that blew up after a run-in with a mochachino – not mine! ;)) is that statins apparently have some immune-modulating effects on these diseases – go figure, eh? Here is one such link:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/542493_4

Another case of “connect the dots?”

Peace, Maz

Trudi
    Participant

I was reaching for hope that we all will get normalized with our blood pressure after AP.

I definitely believe that it is all related.  I've been struggling with my blood pressure since the early '90's when I had my first bout with Lyme; after my 2nd bout in 2003, my BP was up to 230/120–it took at least 6 months to bring it down 'somewhat” –but never low enough to satisfy my doctor.  I saw a nephrologist at that time and he said 160/90 would be acceptable. 

Since being on Lyme treatment over the past year, my BP readings without meds (my LLMD took me off in March because he said they weren't doing me any good) have been averaging about 140/90.  I watch my BP closely and am a bit uneasy about being off the meds, but all my records over the last 6 years showed that my BP fluctuated whether I was on or off the meds. 

My primary doctor definitely feels that my BP will stay normal after the Lyme is under control.  I sure hope that is the case, since I never had a problem with BP before.

Take care,

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

A Friend
    Participant

…Mine is so irregular also.   I do think it is related to the mycoplasma but just am not sure.   It was great to hear it came down after your clindamy.  

Thanks for the Hawthorne tip.   I no very little about hypertension and now need to learn all about that one too.  

MMW

MMW,

Thought I would add a couple of things pertaining to areas on the subject of cholesterol and high blood pressure (hypertension): 

1) I remember reading that during research on statins in the beginning revealed to researchers that they were antifungal; and I'm remembering that while reducing fungus, they also lowered cholesterol — and that's how they began marketing them as cholesterol-lowering drugs.  (will try to find this quote)

2) Once we are chronically ill, our bodies are depleted of needed minerals, and especially magnesium, that has a dramatic effect on blood pressure, and many other things.  And, whether we know it or not, our guts are usually overgrown with unfriendly organisms.  This condition causes us to become deficient in needed vitamins and minerals.  As long as our bodies are deficient in magnesium and other needed minerals, our body will remain unhealthily acidic, and we will not be able to manufacture and/or absorb nutrients we need… while the unfriendly organisms continue to multiply and cause more and more inflammation.  The link below covers many aspects of our illness experiences and tells things we need to know about how to replenish those things the body is not able to manufacture or absorb to restore our immune system.   

http://life-enthusiast.com/index/Education/Magnesium/Magnesium_and_Blood_Pressure

http://life-enthusiast.com/index/Education/Magnesium

Best to you,
    AF

Trudi
    Participant

2) Once we are chronically ill, our bodies are depleted of needed minerals, and especially magnesium, that has a dramatic effect on blood pressure, and many other things.  

Hi Friend–

Good articles.

I did a Google search on natural calcium channel blockers–a quick search came up with this:

“Magnesium is a natural calcium channel blocker.”

http://www.restoreunity.org/high_blood_pressure.htm

“Magnesium is a natural calcium channel blocker…”

http://www.thewayup.com/newsletters/081500.htm

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘ Mycoplasma and High Blood Pressure’ is closed to new replies.