Home Forums General Discussion My sister just been diagnoised with RA……..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    judy cash
    Participant

Hello Everyone,

Well my older sister has just been diagnoised with RA.  She is 14 years older than I am, and has been very healthy until this Spring. I have done so well on AP and have kept her informed on all my progress and everything. She was at a Rhumy yesterday and she let him put her on (Methylprednisolone for 5 days and Leflunomide) . I can't believe that she was not intrested in AP. I don't believe she even considered it!! Woa!!! That Hurt.  She has expressed to me that she can't believe how well that I have done on AP. She just doesn't get it.

Well anyway, does anyone know anything about these meds?

Hurt and Sad,

Judy

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=1504]judy cash[/user] wrote:

Well anyway, does anyone know anything about these meds?

Hi Judy,

Your sister has been prescribed Arava and a variant of prednisone.

You can read more about Arava here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leflunomide

I know exactly how you're feeling and how difficult it is to have a close relative not consider this safe, effective treatment option. This has come up a few times here on the support forum with brothers, sisters, parents, children, etc. We understand how disheartening this is, but all one can do is offer the information and it's up to our loved ones to decide for themselves.

Is there any chance she would be open to reading The New Arthritis Breakthrough by Henry Scammell? Perhaps it's just a question of not fully understanding the rationale for this choice or perhaps she did ask her rheumy and was persuaded against pursuing it?

So sorry to hear your sis has been hit with dreaded RA, too, and I empathize with your heartbreak, but hopefully once she's over the initial shock of receiving such a diagnosis, she will start to research a bit more and become her own health advocate, making it easier to make an informed choice. Your example will be the most powerful thing in all this, so keep focusing on getting well for yourself and this may ultimately be the thing that matters most in her road ahead.  

You're in my thoughts, Judy.

Peace, Maz

maz.aust
    Participant

Hi Judy,

Sorry to hear about your sister,

Firstly, in answer to your question:

Methylprednisolone is a synthetic (man-made) corticosteroid.
    Corticosteroids are naturally-occurring chemicals produced by the adrenal glands located adjacent to the kidneys. Corticosteroids affect metabolism in various ways and modify the immune system. Corticosteroids also block inflammation and are used in a wide variety of inflammatory diseases affecting many organs.

disease modifying antirheumatic drugs (DMARDS)][/size]

I know just how you feel about her not recognising that your success with AP could apply to her as well.  My closest friend also chose to go down the traditional path even though we had discussed it many times;  although I was stunned & could have shaken her I have always been fully supportive in her choice. 

Please don't be hurt or sad Judy, this is your sister's path and she just needs to do it her way.  It is, absolutely, no reflection on you.  Try to make sure she knows you are by her side travelling this journey together. 

Maz – Aust

Dec07: Diagnosed PRA, (CTD; Fibromyalgia; suspected Lyme):
    Mar08: Diet to heal gut/bolster immune system (no gluten, dairy, sulphites or sugar)

Jan 2018: ABX Mon/Wed/Fri (started AP 2008)
    1/2 x 150mg Roxithromycin(Biasig), 1/2 x 150mg Clarithromycin (Klacid),
    1/2 x Fungillin, 1 x 250mg Cephalexin (Keflex)

All off days Probiotics

judy cash
    Participant

Maz

Thanks for your kind thoughts.:)

I read the Wikipedia def. on this drug. It was very helpful. Thanks .

You are right, My progress and continued improvement will be a good example for her. I will also lend her my book. It really makes more sense after you read and understand the book. I know all I can do is tell her about it , she has a mind of her own…Its just hard when you love someone……..

As usual Maz, Thanks for your support.

Love Ya!

Judy

judy cash
    Participant

Maz.Aust,

Thanks, your understanding of this drug is very easy for me  to understand.

You are right , this is her choice, and I will be supportive of her, and she and I will be on the same, but different roads , through this dreaded RA . After all she may have thought I was crazy when  I drove 700 miles to see an AP doctor. If she did she never said it to me……YOU KNOW WHAT I JUST REALIZED. sHE RESPECTED ME AND NOW I WILL HER. I will keep a close eye on her and her “health” because I do love her.

Thank you for your insite, it has helped me to understand her better……..:blush:

JUDY

maz.aust
    Participant

You are entirely welcome Judy,

At the end of the day all we can do & the best we can do is be supportive & respect each other & our choices.

Dec07: Diagnosed PRA, (CTD; Fibromyalgia; suspected Lyme):
    Mar08: Diet to heal gut/bolster immune system (no gluten, dairy, sulphites or sugar)

Jan 2018: ABX Mon/Wed/Fri (started AP 2008)
    1/2 x 150mg Roxithromycin(Biasig), 1/2 x 150mg Clarithromycin (Klacid),
    1/2 x Fungillin, 1 x 250mg Cephalexin (Keflex)

All off days Probiotics

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘ My sister just been diagnoised with RA……..’ is closed to new replies.