Home Forums General Discussion My root canal

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Sierra
    Participant

Well, after becoming more enlightened about the troubles that root canals can cause, I looked into alternatives in my area. I didn't find much, just a couple of places that looked like they specialized in replacing fillings (and both had somewhat unprofessional websites–didn't inspire confidence). So, I went ahead and got the revision done by the endodontist. I'm hoping for the best. I could've had the tooth pulled and gotten a bridge (that would've involved crowning a healthy tooth) or an implant ($4,000). The revision seemed like my best option. It will be interesting to see if I notice a change in my overall health now that I no longer have the oral infection.

I continue to do well on minocycline. Sept. will be two years. In recent weeks I've been doing some heavy-duty gardening–digging, crouching, lifting 40 lb. bags of mulch, etc.  A few years ago I recall having a painful time WALKING to the garden–the slope of the lawn hurt my ankles. Using a shovel or crouching were out of the question.

Sierra

lauram
    Participant

Sierra, I'm glad you have improved so much.

What do they do in a revision?

Sierra
    Participant

The endodontist removed the old filling material using a microscope to make sure that “every flake that could possibly be contaminated” came out. Then he filled the canals with an antibiotic solution and let it soak for awhile. Then he refilled the tooth. My original problem, which showed up on X-ray, was that the original filling material did not extend all the way to the bottom of the root, leaving a pocket for bacteria.

Sierra

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘ My root canal’ is closed to new replies.