Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Rockin Annie
    Participant

I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, and I will  start AP on Monday 29th September, 2008. 50mg x2 MWF.

After living with this terrible and debilitating disease for 5 years, I am on the road back to the living.  Two weeks after we buried my wonderful mother, I awoke with a very stiff neck.  I had been dancing up a storm all night, tossing my head about, and thought I had just overdone things.  Over the next couple of months the pain used to float from one joint to the other, coming and going and sometimes only lasting minutes……It was so unpredicatble.  After 6 months I was diagnosed with RA and was refered to a Rheumatologist. 

I also had Bronciectasis since childhood so I was told I would be a very complex patient….He started me on Methotrexate, but forgot to tell me it would take about 6 weeks to take affect.  By this time I had trouble moving, I was like an old women, so he started me on Prednisone.  Wow, I could get up the stairs.  But the pain came back and after being on a cocktail of drugs, Mxt, Pred, Sulfazalasine, Celebrex and painkillers, he started me on Humira.  It gave me a lot of relief, but after a few months I was hospitalized with a very bad infection.  I was nervous to try another biologic, but not knowing what else to do, gave Orencia a try for 5 months….It wasn't helping and the damage in my wrists was ongoing preventing me from doing everyday things, and the things I love to do most.

I don't know when I first came across AP treatment, but I had been looking at the internet for years, trying to find out ways to help me. Then I was refered to this forum and after reading “the New Arthritis Breakthrough” I was totally convinced. 

So with the help of others and their support, I will start my journey back to remission.

Will keep you posted

Diagnosed with RA in 2004, after trying many conventional meds I changed to mino.
    2015 changed to doxy 50mgs
    2016 went off doxy, after getting double pneumonia and massive flare put myself on 250 mgs Zith & 50 mgs doxy, which I will increase slowly.
    Supps, magnesium, NAC, vit c, krill oil, oregano oil, thisylin, turmeric, olive leaf extract, vit B, multi vit.

Rockin Annie
    Participant

4th week on AP update.

How do I feel……………today I feel still very positive, but have brainfog really bad, I am now on 150mgs since the 13th Oct. and will wait till my AP Doctors appointment on the 30th Oct to see whether I should go to 200mgs MWF.

I have been good with my diet only the occasional glass of wine and lolly, how I miss my lolly treats. I have started taking a complex vit B, 22/10/08 and MSM 24/10/08 I will increase slowly as I could be herxing from the MSM as well, time will tell.

Overall I feel good, have got back into my weight training and to my surprise I actually lifted a tiny bit heavier than I have for a long time. I am also a little dizzy, which is from the Minomyacin and sometimes stagger, but gets better as the day goes along. My pain seems to be not as bad, and haven't had the excruciating pain in my neck or wrists that I have had before starting AP. My knees have little twinges that I haven't notice before though, will just wait and see with them.

Will post again after my AP appointment.

Diagnosed with RA in 2004, after trying many conventional meds I changed to mino.
    2016 went off doxy, after getting double pneumonia and massive flare put myself on 250 mgs Zith & 50 mgs doxy, which I will increase slowly.
    Supps, magnesium, NAC, vit c, krill oil, oregano oil, thisylin, turmeric, olive leaf extract, vit B, multi vit.

Rockin Annie
    Participant

Thurs Oct, 29th 2008……. Just had my phone consultation with Dr K in Melbourne…………..

My mind is spinning with all the information and I might add a little over my head.

He suggested going off Methotrexate and Sulfasalazine, but stay on Prednisone and Celebrex, and add Dalacin C by Iv's because of my history of chest infections and also get some test done.  His recommendations will be sent to me to show my RD and Gp to see if either one will administer the Iv's, if not I will have to fly down for them.   I will stay on 150mg MWF because of my weight (50K).

I feel a little uptight because I can't get a hold of the big picture yet, as everything is up in the air, I am worried about going off my conventional meds before having the Iv's, I can still remember the pain on the onset of RA.

Rockin Annie
    Participant

Just starting my 7th week of minomycin.

20/10/2008 milk thistle & Vit amin B complex, MSM. 5mg Methotrexate 13/10/2008.

I am up to 18mg MSM, I don't feel any relief in pain as yet, drink lots of water with added lemons, I am only gluten dairy and almost sugar free ( I love wine) but try to keep it down to 2 small glasses a night. On the odd occasion I have sprinkle of cheese on my home made pizzas which I think has an effect on me the next day, so I am looking into goats cheese or some other alternative.

My AP Dr K suggested I go off Mtx and sulfasalazine, but after long thought and advice from others decided to half my dose of Mtx and stay on Sulfazalazine until I see how my course of IV's go in Feb.  My own Rheumy here doesn't think this treatment will have any benefit to me, so I won't know anything more until my appointment on the 15th Dec 2008. I have also decided to fly to Melbourne to have the IV's done by Dr K, as I want to have other issues that I am dealing with checked as well (high calcium levels etc).

I am generally feeling good and now find myself excited when we go dancing instead of thinking up excuses not to go, that was an awful time the pain was so unbearable when I danced, it was like broken glass in my wrists, now I can dance with minimal pain and most of the night, my hubby is very careful how he handles me :blush:

The pain in my wrists is still very painful but not when I am just sat and doing nothing, and I cannot put any pressure on them, but I am not taking as much Mtx and no Biologic and very few pain killers ( I used to pump around 8 a day usually every 4 hours to take the edge off). If there was any herxing, it was mild and symptoms were fatigue, and mild increase in joint pain.

I am doing lots of reading and searching with lots of info from roadback and friends on board, but I am trying to refrain from taking too many other supps which may throw my body completely out of whack 😯 so I am also in the search for a good nathropath who can help me with tests to see what I need. 

Now that I have my diet in control, I am looking forward to flying to Melbourne and addressing my leaky gut syndrome.

Rockin Annie
    Participant

Its been 3 months since starting Abx. How do I feel, well up until the 1st week in January I felt great, the best I have felt for 5 years, then I had visitors, lots of them, family reunion and lots of parties.  That mean lots of bad food, I tried to be good, but some days it got the better of me, and now I am suffering, my wrists are aching, but not as bad as they have done in the past. I knew diet was a big factor in how I felt, but now I am certain, so back on the gluten, dairy free diet.

I just had my second phone consultation with Dr K, and he said I had Rickettsiosis bacteria and high Vit D levels which I need to address, so he is putting me on a Abx combo, which I will start as soon as the scripts arrive.

I am up to 25,500mgs of MSM, which have helped me greatly and I have Jo to thank for that, as I wouldn't have even tried it, only she recommended it in nearly every post promoting it, thankyou Jo for that, I wouldn't be without it now.

I have also gone off all fish supplements, as Dr K said to limit my Vit D, so will see how my calcium levels go in my next blood tests, as they have been a concern for many months. I read that high vit D can lead to high calcium blood levels. Why did my Rheumy not pick up on this.

My goal is now to cook more nurtitional meals and stick to my no gluten,dairy,sugar. and find a bread that I like, as I have tried many, I love a light bread and all I have tried are so heavy.

Oh to have my bruchetta again………………..

P.S. forgot to add, I will starting weaning of Prednisone Monday 19th January, how scarey

Rockin Annie
    Participant

The 1st month of the my new combo is 1 week of ciproxin and Doryx and then 3 weeks of Mino MWF. I am now on my 2nd month, Mino every day combined with Rulide.

The first month was awful, the pain came back with a vengence, in my wrists, right foot, my neck I could hardly left off the pillow when turning, I did keep up with the detox, however it didn't seem to work as well as before but then I was on more abx. This second month isin't quite so bad, but I have noticed the pain in my right hand, it is on top so when I straighten my hand out it is quite painful and takes my breath away when I try to close and open it. The panodol takes the edge off though.  The only pain I seem to have this second month is in my wrists, and on top of my right hand which is half of what I was dealing with last month.

I have also changed to MSM tablets as I had a couple of days where I was quite nauseaus after taking too much powder, as I get a bit slack with measuring and just heaped the powder on the teaspoon and think it was too much detox for my body to handle at once.

I am going to see a new GP which is also a naturapath next week, so I hope to get some good advice on supplements which I might need.

I am also down to 4 mg prednisone, which I am weaning off very slowly, 1/4 of a mg every two weeks, I do feel even that small amount makes a huge difference to how I feel. We shall see how it goes, but I am determined to get off the stuff.

……………..Till next time

Rockin Annie
    Participant

3rd month of my new combo, I have been on Ciproxin, Doryx, Mino for the first Lunar month, then Mino and Rulide for the 2nd Lunar month, Tetracycline Hydrochloride for the 3rd Lunar Month just come off Vibramycin for the 4th Lunar month.

This is the first week  that I have felt minimal pain and what a blessing as I was going out of my mind with the pain, fatigue, depression and much more.  I don't want to go on too much as I this disease is so unpredictable, I am just waiting for the pain to come back with a vengeance.  I have 2 more combo of abx to take so I will expect a bit more herxing, but for the time being I will enjoy myself while well.

For the last 3 months I haven't felt like being on board but still came on to read the articles and maybe reply a few times but I don't like to admit to pain, depression misery, not even to my family. We all know here how hard just simple things like getting up in the morning is such a big effort, getting showered and washing my hair was so hard, I would cry, but it didn't matter cause I was in the shower anyway, I wanted to get my hubby to do it, but I wouldn't give in to it, I thought to myself, once I started that I am finished. I Won't go on too much as I know everyone here knows what it is all about.

Good news though, I am weaning off Pred and now down to 3 mg, wow! that is great and never been down that low before.  I have been doing exercises for my wrists which is very painful but will keep going to get some flexibility back into my wrists, the damage I know will always be there but I will hopefully inprove the range of motion in them.

I also have given up gluten and maybe that contributes to the minimal pain who knows, but I am definately off it for good.  Also drink lots of lemon water and of course my MSM tablets which I will not go without, they are my little magic bullets.

Lets keep well and keeping on getter better…………….

Rockin Annie
    Participant

Well I have just finished my 6 lunar months of combo abx. It was a hard 6 months, but it has gone by so quickly, now I realize I have had lots of herxing throughout the course.  I must admit I was beginning to doubt this treatment, I know that I am not as bad as some but every little bit of pain you feel seems to be the worst.  My wrists cause me the most problems and off and on my knees as well.

How do I feel now……………..I am still on 3 mgs of Pred and take Celebrex 2 x100mg  a day.  I have stopped taking panodol before getting out of bed, which is a good sign for me and the pain through the night is minimal,  it is amazing how you forget how much you suffer when you are feeling better :blush:.  I still cannot put any pressure on my wrists though,  but who cares if the housework dosen't get done. I find if my diet is good then I am good.

Overall I feel much better, with only a dull ache in my wrists, even with the cold weather here.

Rockin Annie
    Participant

My visit to Melbourne on the 8th October to see Dr K.

My visit to the Naturapath  confirmed my sensitivities to gluten, dairy and sulphur, then off to see Dr K.  My Minomycin was cut back to 50mgs MTS and Cilicaine VK 250gm was added, then a week later 75gm Rulide.  So my abx looked like this weekly.

Minomycin 50gm with dinner Mon, Thurs, Sat

Cilicaine VK 250gm & 75Gm Rulide with breakfast Mon, Thurs, Sat.

Supps fish oil 3gms

cod liver 2gms

musashi joint support 1 x am & pm

Indocid suppositories 1/3 when needed for pain

Panomax for pain when needed. 5mg predniosone

Tuesday 20th October

As I stand now,  I am off alcohol, gluten, dairy, now am trying to get off all sauces as they have hidden wheat added, and I love sweet chiili sauce on everything.

I have upped my indosid to 100mgs as the 1/3 of tab was not doing a thing, I am off Celebrex altogether as it contains sulphur and I take around 4 panomax daily instead of panodol.  My pain is livable but will wait until the abx kicks in to see how bad I will get.

Pain on a scale of 1 – 10

Morning on getting up 8 – wrist, neck and left knee give me trouble

Lunchtime after meds & supps 5 – wrists and neck

Since being on the 5 mgs pred 4th Oct 09, the pain has eased in my wrists & neck a bit, its not as sharp and on moving my wrists doesn't make me catch my breath.  My feet also are not a sore, so something is working.  I have weaned down to 6000 mg MSM and still weaning,  I don't seemed to have any worries about not being on as much as I was, maybe because of the pred.

Rockin Annie
    Participant

January 8th 2010

I just got home after being to the gym for the second time (sure feels good) and decided to do an update.

After visiting my AP doc and naturapath in Melbourne, I returned home and guess I expected miracles on my new combo of abx only to discover I was having worse pain in my wrists, my feet which I didn't have any trouble with before, were always very painful so I took to wearing thongs a lot (yuk) but I had no chance I can only stand so much pain.  After dancing in shoes and sometimes no shoes (how disgusting) I would come home and ice my feet.

Hubby said to me you can't go on like this you seem worse than before the Melbourne trip and yes I certainly was.

I rang Dr D just before Christmas and explained what I was feeling and she replied have you had any infections lately (I suffer with Broncheictasis, a lung condition) and I said yes I have had a sinus infection since flying home from Melb.  She replied there you go, the abx she had me on was doing nothing for my lungs which in turn was doing nothing for my RA.  I went on Ciproxin for 5 days and off Mino instant relief, my feet felt back to normal after about 3 days and I have only minamal pain in my neck, wrists which on a 1-10 scale would be a 5 on waking and down to a 2 during the day unless of course I try to do a superlady activity.

I am off all MSM, take only panamax because of the sulfer content and take a 1/4 both am and pm of Indocid supp.  I have got it down to a fine art now, when hubby gets up at 5.30am I get up and have coffee then insert the supp and l lay down and watch sunrise for 1/2 hour. Feel great when I get up.

I do need to keep on top of my infections and will go see Dr D later on this year, I think with me it will be an ongoing battle with infections but now I know to get it before too late, as before my RA I used to try to fight off the infections with vit c and stanima.

My food is still not 100% the way I would like but I am nearly there, I haven't come off vinegar totally yet, which is a no no for me and wine which doesn't seem to effect me luckily. Bread and dairy isin't a problem as I don't miss either I constantly chew on ricecakes, but I do miss the dressing on salads.

I don't get on Roadback as much as I would like, but when I do I read all the topics and do hope everyone has a healthy 2010 and keep on getting better. I thank all the volunteers for their support and advice and dedication to the forum.

Till next time

Rockin Annie
    Participant

Sunday 17th April 2011.

Its been over a year since I have updated my history. My how time flies when you are having fun!!!!!!!!!

I have been on a combo of abx MWF, Rulide 75mg + Cilicaine 250mgs am & 50 mgs mino pm, since late 2009, which started a sinus infection in my right nostril. After taking Ciproxin for a week (AP doctors orders) still never cleared up. I perservered until middle of 2010 when 2 of my toes on my left foot started to spread because of the inflammation in the ball of my foot. After speaking to Dr D I went back onto 5mg of Mtx, which horrified me.

November 2010 I visited Melbourne, Dr D and Naturopath and was advised to go off all Mino (don’t see the reasoning behind this but they are the doctors) and replace with Dalacin C 150mg + Klacid 125mg PM and Rulide 75mgs + Cilicaine 250 mgs AM.

In the meantime my neck was giving me heaps, it has always been painful and had restricted rotation but now I was having a lot of numbness on the right side of my scalp (scarey stuff) I actually thought it could have been all the physio and massaging I was having (daily).

Christmas time my little finger on my right hand had pain in it and then I couldn’t lift it up to meet my other fingers. I thought to myself it was just part of the RA.

I decided to take things a bit more serious, so I spoke to my GP and went for a Scan. The Radiologist was very concerned and rang my GP straight away and I was sent to a Neuro Surgeon. The findings were not very positive and read:-

The Odontoid peg is significantly eroded. Atlanto-axial subluxation noted. The pre-dental distance is estimated at around 8mm (upper limit of normal 3mm). The boney spinal canal is narrowed at this level. Compression of the spinal cord at this level.

I only have 2 choices, 1, operate, 2, wear a neck brace for the rest of my life, which he said was no guarantee. Last week my second finger has joined my little finger (right Hand) and won’t lift to meet the others. Its like they are dead, so at present I just keep them curled up. The Doc said I might get life back into them after the op, but I have my doubts.

So surgery it is, they will take out the offending bone and fuse the other 5 with Titanium rods to stabalise my neck giving me limited rotation. I don’t know any more as I told the Doc not to tell me anyy more, as it was giving me the shivers.
    After the first initial shock and lots of tears (why me) I have decided to go ahead with the surgery, which I am booked in for 30th May 2011.

So obviously the Abx didn’t prevent any bone erosion like I was hoping for, I have lost faith in my AP Doc, I actually have put myself back onto 100mgs x 2 MWF and gone off all othe Abx.

Because of my Broncheictasis I am a bit of a challenge with the operation and have to be as fit as I possibly can be. I have been walking up very steep mountains (lots of huff and puff) every alternate day with my retired hubby. Thank goodness I love exercise, but knowing I have to do it because of the op, its quite a different story.

At present I feel like I could cope with the op, hoping I don’t get sick in the meantime and the 3 months rehab will be in the cooler months, so the neck brace won’t be so uncomfortable. I am really really scared, its like living in a dream with this constant cloud hovering over me, stopping me from being totally happy. I did a lot of homework and found out my surgeon is a very good one and I have a lot of faith in him even though this kind of surgery is not very common. I am a survivor and I will get through this.

Till a long time after the op, I will keep in touch……………….

Rockin Annie
    Participant

Its been awhile, but I am really feeling positive and wonderful at the moment, so here is an update.

It has been 8 weeks today since my operation and for the last 2 weeks I have been getting little excited feelings coming over me (just like when I first fell in love with my hubby lol) I realised it was because I was in no pain, well only a very small amount in my wrists when doing something I shouldn’t be doing.

So far (touch wood) the op was a huge success and after many painful weeks before, to practically no pain post – op I feel great. I will admittedly have to learn to do things a bit different, because of the lack of rotation, but who cares no pain yeppie!.

I will go back a few months, after flying down to Melb to see my AP doc and naturapath, I was supposed to change my mino to a combo of abx and stay on Mtx, Indocid, Celebrex and Pred. After receiving an email from a fellow RB’er and now very dear email friend I stayed on Mino and upped my dose, went off all other abx and stayed on Mtx. Upping the Mino dose to 200mgs MWF, I started to feel like something I was doing was right. I gradually felt so good I stopped taking Celebrex and Indocid.

Now I am weaning off Pred, I am down to 3 mgs and still weaning. I am still on Mtx and mino and I haven’t felt this good since being Dxed with RA.

I do believe I rushed into just taking mino and going off all my other meds, as I have damage now to both wrists and my neck of course, no use crying over spilt milk, I have now found the right combination for me and I will stay with it for a while now unless something changes.

I am so grateful that I found such a great surgeon, as I know how dangerous my op was and I didn’t have a choice but to have it. Things are getting better all the time…………………..

Rockin Annie
    Participant

January 16th 2012.

I will go back to the morning of 16th December 2011. I have been doing a very hard circuit in a rain forest (steps and steep hills) 3 x weekly, also gyming evey alternat days and getting so much stronger, also started swimming once a week and going to another day as my lack of flexibility in my neck didn’t seem to worry me that much. I was swimming with flippers and started to do bi lateral breathing. I was doing excellent and back to dancing even teaching with David as well.

But it wasn’t to last, the morning of the 16th, we had just finished the red arrow (rain forest track) and coming down the bitumen pathway I fell, I don’t know how or why I just fell. I ended up with fractured ribs, broken ring finger and a huge laceration to my forehead. I had to have surgery as the cut was jaggered and it had to be cleaned before they could stich the wound. It was a horribvle day/night but I am on the mend now. My head is still heavily scarred but it is almost healed and my ribs are bearable. My ring finger is still giving me trouble and the orthapedic surgeon said it could take months before it completely healed.

How do I feel now…………I am coping well with the lack of rotation in my neck, I rarely drive these days as David is retired and I do think I am a bit nervous to, even though I don’t admit to it. We are starting dance lessons tonight and I am a bit apprehensive about seeing everyone again and having to explain what happened to my face.

My meds are
    10 mgs Mtx weekly
    weaned off pred 5th Jan.
    Take panamax when needed.

Rockin Annie
    Participant

I thought I might update , so here goes. Since my last post I have been overseas seeing Kuala Lumpar, Egypt,Italy,Malta, London, Sicily just to name a few. We had a wonderful and very exciting time. My health was good and I stayed on Celebrex the whole time away, so I felt wonderful. I am now back to dancing and teaching plus doing very hard uphill walks. My gym sessions are 4 a week and my weights have increase quite a bit. I can remember going back to the gym, oh it was so very hard, but now is a breeze.

My neck surgery went very well and I am used to not having rotation, also I am back to driving with no worries except for reverse parking, now I just drive in to a car park that I can drive out of. my face has healed from my walking accident, so virtually I am very good. I don’t want to say I am in remission, but my bloods are very good, my inflammation markers are in the normal range.

I want to thank my good friend from Texas who put me on the right road with Mino, since then I haven’t looked back. my meds now are only 10 MG s methotrexate, 100 mgs Mino x 2. MWF and the occasional Celebrex when I have overdone my exercise. My right foot has been playing up a bit with all the ballroom dancing but I think I have fixed that with some inserts, fingers crossed. I am travelling down to Brisbane for a wedding and I will go see a new Rheumy, just to keep me on track if things start to change.

I do think my meds plus going on a completely gluten free diet has helped me iron out the last few aches and pain that I was having. I came across my gluten free bread from eating it at a restaurant,when I asked the owners about it they said I could buy it from them. Must say it is the best bread and completely free from any additives and full of good stuff like pumpkin seeds etc. This bread, I feel put my diet into another phase, as I used to cheat a lot, now I am completely gluten, dairy, and eat mainly wholesome foods. I have also added all natural protein powder twice a day. I am very fortunate to have a wonderful husband who loves doing the things I love to do and he also keeps me on the right road as well.

Rockin Annie
    Participant

September 18th 2013

Update – I went down to Brisbane to see a new rheumatologist. The meeting went very well, but he suggested putting my mtx up from 10 mgs to 15 mgs. He did say my RA was still active. The only pain I was having was in my left foot and caused me heaps of pain when dancing. I could have given it all up but if you know me you know that wouldn’t be the case. I simply love to be active, dancing was a big part of my life. He did suggest a cortisone injection, which he wouldn’t do then, as I was to attend a wedding that week end. He told me to ask my gp to give me one next visit. I did end up having a cortisone injection which I might add, hurt liked hell urgggg! and didn’t help at all. The last resort was prolotherapy! I have had two injections and now am back to dancing. Yippee !! Maybe I was having a RA flare up or the prolo did the trick we will see in the next few months.

I had to be off the Celebrex altogether while having the prolo injections as it would defeat the purpose of having the injections, so am doing very well,apart from the occasional Panamax .

Bloods are all ok and normal. Am also onto my second prolia injection for osteoporosis, won’t know till I have a bone density test done next year.

P.s. I didn’t up my mtx

Till next update, hope everyone is doing well x

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The forum ‘Personal History and Progress Threads’ is closed to new topics and replies.