Home Forums General Discussion My head is swimming…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    JenTX
    Participant

I know we're all different, but has anyone had a herx from antifungals that included their head swimming?  I have just started my 5th of 8 weeks of Lamisil, and have experienced some head swimming, which then makes me feel nauseous.  Sudden movement makes it worse.

Any ideas?

Jennifer

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Jen,

Here's what MediLexicon has to say about Lamisil side-effects.  

http://www.medilexicon.com/drugs/lamisil_111.php

Lamisil Side Effects
    “The most common side effects associated with Lamisil were gastrointestinal symptoms, headaches, and rash. These were generally mild and transient in nature. Lamisil is contraindicated in individuals who are hypersensitive to terbinafine. Rare instances of symptomatic hepatobiliary dysfunction and serious skin reactions have been reported. In such cases, therapy should be discontinued.”

Although Wikipedia does mention it shouldn't be given to Lupus patients.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terbinafine

“It has been found that terbinafine hydrochloride may induce or exacerbate Subacute Cutaneous Lupus Subacute Cutaneous Lupus Erythematosus. Persons with Lupus Erythematosus should first discuss possible risks with their doctor before initiation of therapy.”

Couldn't find any mention of a “swimming” sensation in the head. Might it be a herx effect?  If so and you're now getting a lot of die-off, you might need to really get hydated and work on clearing the toxins out. If it's really concerning you, it's also probably something to discuss with your doc, just to put your mind at rest….maybe get your liver enzymes tested? When I was on diflucan, the doc was insistant on regular monitoring of these.  

Feel better soon!

Peace, Maz  

JenTX
    Participant

Thanks, Maz.  I'm getting bloodwork on Monday so I'll soon see if I have any liver issues.  I'm also wondering about food allergies, I've been cheating a bit on my candida free diet (that Ben and Jerry's can't stay away for long!).  I'll look into food reactions.

Jennifer

linda
    Participant

Could be the abx, some of them can cause ringing in the ears, so maybe they can also make you feel dizzy? When I was on zith my fibrofog got so bad that I had to write down when I had taken my meds because I couldn't remember. Maz is correct, it could be a herx, too.

linda

This can happen with the mino, are you one that?

Maybe you need to just go a little slower that might help. I agree about asking your Doc. 

I know I had to have some maxalon in the beginning I was often suffering from nausia.  It was pretty frightening the whole thing. Was on several abx though.

JenTX
    Participant

I am on mino. 100 mg 2x/day every day.  I've been on that dose for about 1 1/2 years.  Maybe the antifungal  is actually getting rid of something, and now the abx. can really get in there.  I think you guys are right.  It's tolerable right now, so I'll continue my dose. 

Thanks everyone!

Jennifer

Pleased about that.  You must have the systemic or you cannot continue with the treatment without all sorts of problems arising down the track.  Sometimes it takes a while to settle down. just be careful and only do one thing at a time so you can monitor what is happening.  This is important.

You can herx from antifungals also.  That is why needing both you need to be careful about the dose. Glad you are managing

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘ My head is swimming…’ is closed to new replies.