Home Forums General Discussion My experience with starting Lyrica 02/22

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    AK Girl
    Participant

I read the boards yesterday and had an appointment with my Dr. who had not read his book I left him last week, “The Road Back”. I had other printed material and a list of questions with 9 pages of highlighted information. We discussed the Lyrica and he gave me weeks of samples, prescribing 3 a day.

I took a Vicoden at 5:30 AM, then a Lyrica at 10:00 AM.  I felt really strange that first pill and didn't know if that was going to work for me. Then it settled down somewhat. My next one was before bed and I slept pretty good. Then this morning at 5:30 I took one and went and slept for 2 hours. Shoot with the fatigue and falling asleep at night too, I don't know if this is going to work for me. And I am still in much pain so I had another Vicoden.

I am a woman who took  a Synthriod and a Premarin only for years, now I am taking so many pills I don't know what way to go. My Dr said yesterday he is more concerned of getting me off the Predasone at 18 MG's, than the Hydroxychloroquine. I have been as high as 60 MG's since May 07.

My questions are:

Does Lyrica take a few days before it starts managing the pain?

Has anyone taken them both at the same time?

Thank-You, Gail

linda
    Participant

Sorry for bugging you again, I just realized that you are taking Lyrica AND vicodin. I have not been rx'd both of them at the same time, so I have no idea how that would have affected me. I would think that they have to be exacerbating the side effects of each other, even if you are taking them 5 hours apart.

I also wondered about acupuncture, I think you said you had tried it but it was not effective-or was that Michele? If it was you, there are various methods of acupuncture, you could consider giving it another try with a different therapist. If you haven't tried it, think about. It was the most effective in getting me off the vicodin. My D.O. used a combination of the Japanese method (putting the needles where the pain is located), and the Chinese method of putting the needles at points where chi (endorphins) are concentrated.

I think I've been dominating this thread, so I'm going to shut up and give others a chance to post. Good luck!

Michele
    Participant

AK

How are the Lyrica samples going for you?

My pain management doctor wants me to try again at 25 mg one time a day. I'm pretty nervous about this after the first reaction I had to 100 mg. Doc says it is a far safer longer term pain medicine than a narcotic like vicodin. I was really surprised when her next list of pain medicines were all in the anti-convulsant or anti-depressant families.

If anyone else has some Lyrica input please chime in. Is this really a safer longterm drug? Can it eventually be taken “as needed?” I forgot to ask doc that.

Linda, how much pain does it take away for you?

Thanks all!
    Michele

linda
    Participant

I've had such good results with this med. It can be taken as needed, I've never noticed that it took 2-3 days to build up.  I take 75 mg. prn. I think you'll notice quite a difference between 25 mg and 100 mg., as far as side effects, but also in effectiveness in pain management. Try to build up slowly and see how it goes. It is the most helpful for me in controlling muscle pain and burning pain, especially the burning pain I get between my shoulder blades when I sit too long. That's why it is so popular with those that have neuropathy, which feels like a burning pain, usually caused by nerve damage in those with diabetes. In my case, my doc felt that the burning was caused by inflammation putting pressure on nerves in my neck and back.

For some reason, it also helps with mood, but not in the way anti-depressants work.

I hope you can stick it out and that eventually you will find a dose that is helpful w/out the side effects you've experienced. Sometimes we have to wait a little while for our bodies to adjust to a new med. Some people will be sensitive to it and not be able to use it, as is the case with any med. For my money, it's worth trying as opposed to going to vicodin or an anti-convulsant or anti-depressants. I will say this about anti-depressants, tho, they can be taken only at night to help with sleep, and are commanly rx'd as such for insomnia associated with FMS. Lack of sleep wreaks havoc on FMS, and until we see results from AP, can be a short term solution to insomnia. Keep me posted, feel free to ask any other questions.

linda

ideamktg
    Keymaster

I do not know what illness you have, so can only say what I have experienced with Lyrica.  I have peripheral neuropathy caused from leg vein bypass in both legs.  One leg was done in May 2007 when the neuropathy began, and continued when the other leg was done in Nov. 2007.  After incredible pain I went to a neurologist who prescribed Lyrica which helped me immediately.  Also, I was diagnosed with scleroderma (CREST) in 2000. 

I took 1 at night, and 1 in a.m. (75mg).  Then it was increased to 2 at night and 2 in a.m. when by then, I couldn't get up from a chair, so it decreased to 1 at night and 1 in a.m.  Along with it I am taking Ultram for pain and trying to increase the Lyrica gradually by taking 2 at night, 1 in a.m. once a week (other days1 at night and 1 in a.m.)  Now I am at 2 at night 2 days a week and 1 in a.m., and will increase to 2 at night and 2 in a.m.  In short, with me, it has to be increased gradually.  I do not know what the maximum is, but I can tell you I was screaming in pain before I was prescribed it.  In fact no one knew what was the matter with me! The surgeon for the legs thought I was nuts, and never suggested a neurologist.

I may not have answered your question, but  know several people who are taking this drug which was prescribed by different doctors, so I guess it is  the fancy drug of the day.  I do hope there is something else down the road because Lyrica isn't perfect, but better that anything else.  The only other things seem to be pain drugs.

I want to get back on the minocin, but stopped because of the many drugs I am taking, and was in hosp. with anemia last summer.  It is hard to tell what is neuropathy and what is scleroderma.

I have given up minocin at least temporarily because it was making no difference, but I think I may have allowed the scleroderma to progress.

linda
    Participant

Michele, I guess I really didn't answer your question, How much pain does it take away? As for the burning, 100%, for the muscle pain, about 75%. I really doesn't do much for the joint pain., which is why I also take tramadol.

It's tough to accept, but there really is no safe pain med that is going to get rid of all of our pain. Vicodin works great at first, but used constantly we gain a tolerance and have to increase the dose. Getting the dx under control is still the most important thing, but since this takes time, some of us need help with the pain so we can function.

AK Girl
    Participant

Holy Toledo,  😯

I haven?t been here in a couple days and after reading your posts I am concerned with Vicoden and Lyrica together. The dosage of Lyrica is 3 each a day at 50 MG?s right off the bat. Hummm?.SIGH?

Thanks for your responses. Gail

linda
    Participant

Maybe try slowly lowering the dose of vicodin as you gradually increase the lyrica.

I remember my pain spec. telling me that it's better to lower the dose than to try to stretch out the length of time between doses, if that helps. You're going to figure this out, keep communicating with your doc, he's helped a lot of people. In my experience, pain specs like nothing better than helping someone manage their pain w/out narcotics (again, I realize this is not always possible). It does take time, there is no overnight fix; as I said before, it took me 4 months.

Have you tried warm water therapy?, I also used this when I was weaning off the vicodin. The pool water needs to be about 85- 90 degrees.

This is not an easy process, and it is definitely work, but work that feels good. My total therapy involved
    acupuncture,
    myofascial massage therapy (do early in the day and drink lots of water to detox afterward),
    warm water therapy,
    lyrica and Lidoderm patches prn.

Once off the vicodin I replaced it with tramadol. At this point in time I only use tramadol daily, lyrica and lido patches prn, and every once in a while I do my own accupuncture.  I walk daily which also helps as long as I don't overdo. Epsom salt baths also help, but be careful not to soak for more than 20 min. as this will bring too much blood flow to the area and cause increased inflammation. ……I hope I haven't overwhelmed you with info the past few days- it's just that I know how good it feels to be able to control my pain rather than my pain controlling me, and I hope to help others accomplish the same thing.

linda

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘ My experience with starting Lyrica 02/22’ is closed to new replies.