Home Forums General Discussion muscle injection device

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    JBJBJB
    Participant

I am going to have 30 days muscle injections. The long needles are freaking me out. If you know a better way to deliver these medicine, please let me know. JB:sick:

JBJBJB
    Participant

After intensive searching on the Internet, I fould this infusion device. BTW, it seems to me that a port has to be implanted. I am not sure if it is the same as PICC line since I don't think PICC line is an option for me since I am prone to have infection.
     I am not sure it can be used for muscle injection. It's used for chemotherapy. I just wrote to the company, seeking more information. [/size]
    http://www.bardaccess.com/infusion-powerloc-max.php

If you have used this device, please let me know how it goes.

Thank you,

JB 

JBJBJB
    Participant

Okay, hug me, yall.

We made it!!! We got my first muscle injection all by ourselves!!! I was very frustrated. After whole day calling the insurance, hospitals, home infusion center, cancer care center, urgent care, visiting two clinics to find out how I could get the nurse to give me the injections. My only option was to drive to another town (twin city) to get the daily shots because I am not home bond, the nurses would not come to my home. It was almost 25 minutes drive one way and the clinic closed at 4:30 PM. The time I could go there is traffic hour.

So my hubby and I watched Youtube instructions for muscle injection. It helped a lot. I used ice cube to numb the area. Boom, here my husband went…. I did not feel the needle at all. It didn't hurt much.  BTW, my hubby had to deal with those mental fear, and he did a good job. Now he is ready to do the rest 59 shots!!!

I will double check if he has any girlfriends outside of the house and make sure he is in good mood each time he gives me the shot. Hahaha.

sadie
    Participant

JB – Wow, that's great  news!  I'm happy to hear things went well.  Here's your hug!!!

Sadie

Parisa
    Participant

JB,

I gave my husband IM Bicillin two times a week for six months.  He hated getting the shot and I hated giving it but in the long run it was worth it.  I hope you get some good results too.

Kim
    Participant

Good job, JB and hubby.  Let's face it, NO ONE enjoys having a needle stuck in them, but it just makes life easier if you can get it over with quickly at home.

You can ask your doc for a prescription for Lidocaine cream to numb the area first, it helps.

Take care…..kim

Wayne
    Participant

Hi JB,

Good news that your doing your own IM injections, as it is so convenient and quick to do them at home. Is it Clindamycin that you injecting?

I'm a Paramedic here in Perth Australia, so when it came time for some IM injections of Clindy, I had no hesitation in teaching my wife Helen to do it for me. We use a 23 gauge needle which does not hurt because it is so small, but the Clindy hurts a lot as it enters the tissue (muscle). To minimise this, inject the solution nice and slow, this also helps to prevent bruising which can be a problem when giving a number of injections into the same site. Clindamycin is very harsh on the tissue and another idea is to gently massage the site right after injection, easing the solution further around the muscle. If your injecting something else the same principles apply.

All the best with it and be encouraged, as it is working well for us since Feb when we started. IM is not a route of administration that seems to be used much, but it is a really good option.

Cheers Wayne

Systemic Sclerosis....rapid onset 2010.
    Started AP January 2011.
    Multiple meds during treatment, including IV Clindamycin every 2 months for 5 days.
    Now.....disease in remission....meds: Mimomycin, Clindamycin IM 3 monthly,
    5 days Azithromycin 6 monthly.
    Very well now....enjoying life.

JBJBJB
    Participant

Sadie, Parisa, Kim and Wayne,

Thanks so much for the encouragement. We are getting better each day. Wayne, thanks a lot for the tips. I copied your message and emailed it to my husband. It's a great tip. The medicine is Cefotaxime for treating lyme disease.

I have two hard bumps in the injection sites. I am going to call the nurse and see if she could give me some clues as how to make them go away. Otherwise, I have to change the injection sites. Thanks Wayne for the tip of massage the injection area, we will definitely do that.

JB:headbang:  

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘ muscle injection device’ is closed to new replies.