Home Forums General Discussion MTHFR Gene, B vitamins & Mino

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    cavalier
    Participant

While I realize specific folate over folic acid – for MTHFR Gene – I still felt the importance of what either folate or folic acid does was a good read for folks – so here is a article –

Have you noticed any of these in yourself lately: #headaches #nausea #irritability #depression #fatigue #soretongue #memoryloss? These are just a few signs of Vitamin B9 (Folic Acid) deficiency. Pretty serious, No?

Let us help: http://bit.ly/13IMO7H
    Vitamin B9 (Folic acid) umm.edu

Vitamin B9, also called folate or folic acid, is one of 8 B vitamins. All B vitamins help the body convert food (carbohydrates) into fuel (glucose), which is used to …

Jill

cavalier
    Participant

oops the full article for the above info on Floci acid or folate B9 is on this link – sorry – http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/vitamin-b9-folic-acid

Jill

Trudi
    Participant

Came across this informative article on MTHFR and the connection with Lyme. It is by the pharmacist, Suzy Cohen, who was mentioned before in AF’s post:

Usually in severe cases, the symptoms are due to toxin build-up; please note the methylation defect does not cause Lyme, which is a tick-borne illness. But the infection causes ammonia, quinolinic acid, acetylaldehyde, etc

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

sunny22
    Participant

It is very important to know if you have this MTHFR mutation ( i an homozygous for the c677t). If you have this, and btw 6o% of the population has at least one of the mutations, you need to beware of certain things to stay away from (mthfr.net dr ben lynch) such as methotrexate, nitrous oxide, eating foods with added b vitamins such as cereal, and so many foods. You must read labels. Since we cannot process b vitamins in there usable form (methylated), only a small amount of the b’s you consume will cross the brain barrier. The rest of the b’s circulate in the system like a poison. B vitamins are only water soluable after they cross the brain barrier. Because we have these defects in our methylayion system, we also have Problem with detoxing. If you have this mutation, it is reccommended that you take only methylated vitamins. And detox the best you can, sweating it out with exercise, saunas epsons, drinking water, etc. This is especially important for pregnant women who take prenatals. Most obs are beginning to test for this mutation automatically as the wrong prenatals have been known to cause autism and other issuse with their children. My gp has begun testing all her patients. Soon i am sure this will be standard protocol.

sunny22
    Participant

Just to clarify on my last post, mthfr defects necessitate the need to take the B’ s in the methylated form. Sorry for any confusion. Sunny

A Friend
    Participant

@sunny22 wrote:

Just to clarify on my last post, mthfr defects necessitate the need to take the B’ s in the methylated form. Sorry for any confusion. Sunny

Hi Sunny,
    Am re-reading a number of posts, which were found when I did a search using search words connected with several deficiencies causing a cascade of related conditions that can cascade to numerous new problems. By knowing about some of these, we can take steps to possibly stop this cascade, and give the body what it needs — and not give it what it doesn’t need.

[The subject includes these points, and I think all of us with chronic illness need to be aware of this and learn more — to prevent our illnesses from developing into other new and more serious diagnoses:

1) Some are deficient in B-2/Riboflavin; some lack the ability to digest red meat… and there is important information in links about serious problems this inability can cause to cascade;
    [AF: Have read/learned over time that Blood Type A persons lack HCL (hydrochloric acid) to break down and digest red meat; and in my own case, this improperly digested meat can leave acidic residues in the body, causing problems meat/pork. Because as we get older, we can lack ability to digest our food, I’ve begun taking HCL capsules during a meal — unless it contains only salad or fruit, and has no meat protein.]

2)
    http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/chris/2004/05/11/six_weeks_to_parkinsons_improvement_with_a_single_vitamin.htm
    excerpts:
    ….Chris Gupta
    The latest news in Parkinson’s disease research isn’t some new, patented wonder drug. It’s the disease’s apparent link to riboflavin, or vitamin B2.
    Researchers in Brazil examined a group of 31 Parkinson’s patients and found that every single one had a riboflavin deficiency–even though their dietary sources (like liver, almonds, and spinach) were adequate. To fully explore the link, the researchers asked the patients to stop eating all red meat and to take 30 milligrams of riboflavin every eight hours.

After six months, the patients’ functional motor capacity increased nearly 30 percent–from an average of 44 percent of normal to an average 71 percent of normal. Tests for riboflavin deficiency had also normalized in all the patients, and there were no side effects except the usual “bright yellow urine” effect of riboflavin. [1]

The researchers didn’t explain why they felt it was necessary for the patients to eliminate red meat in addition to correcting the riboflavin deficiency. But I’ve found that nearly all individuals with Parkinson’s have trouble digesting animal protein, especially red meat, so perhaps this has something to do with it.

Six months without a steak might sound like a lot, especially with barbecue season coming up. But given the possibility of very significant improvement in motor function, it’s worth eliminating it for a six-month trial. And keep in mind that the elimination is usually only temporary: If you do get positive results, you can probably add red meat back into your diet eventually and increase your riboflavin dosage to maintain the improvement. If you decide to try this approach, don’t forget to “back up” the riboflavin–or extra quantities of any individual B vitamin–with the entire B-complex.

This is very recent research, so I haven’t had time to evaluate it clinically yet. But since riboflavin is completely harmless, it’s definitely worth a try if you have Parkinson’s. You may have significantly improved mobility–and the worst that can happen is a case of “bright yellow urine.” JVW

May 2004 Newsletter – Nutrition & Healing website: http://www.wrightnewsletter.com
    [1] Coimbra CG, Junqueira VB. ?High doses of riboflavin and the elimination of dietary red meat promote the recovery of some motor functions in Parkinson?s disease patients.? Braz J Med Biol Res 2003; 36(10): 1,409-1,417
    See also:
    Coenzyme Q10 Parkinson’s disease……
    [end of excerpt]
    [end of quoted excerpts above]

Note from AF: There are several more links I found important to this subject. Will try to find them, and add the links to this post.

Anonymous
    Participant

Hi MJ,
    What level of folic acid has you uncle in his blood test and what is the norm?
    Linda L.

A Friend
    Participant

@cavalier wrote:

AF & All – I too had questions about this as I know Vit C is a mild Chelator & they use Magnesium in the EDTA Chelation IV’s & they also use Vit C in this Chelation too but not huge amt’s. This was told to me by the NP saying she that this was her understanding I should avoid these including my Meyers & all oral – which oral Vit C helps my histamine levels stay down so I hate to miss Vit C as I already was feeling it. I put a call into Dr Ca. in La. today who is the doctor who tested me for heavy metals & is the one who wrote the other for the Chelation for me to get it done up here in Tenn. What I wanted to hear was IF he shared this feeling too as Dr Ca. has 20 yr’s experience in doing Chelation where this advice I was told this was coming from here in TN who has NO experience yet in doing Chelation so I wondered if there was some misunderstanding.

Sure enuf there is a misunderstanding on the part of here in Tn. as to these vit’s. & minerals.

Dr Ca.’s nurse said no all of their patients get oral Vit C & if this flushes out the lead the EDTA Chelation will wisk it away – & she said absolutely no reason to stop the Magnesium or the Vit C both orally or by IV – she said she has no idea where here in Memphis they would have gotten that from – so I am going to pass this on to the NP who told me that they felt I should not take either til I am chelated that I am going to follow Dr Ca’s lead on this one as they have expertise & time in dealing with this. I am SO glad I pushed to get to the bottom of this that this was not their feeling if it was then I would have paid some more attention to it – but as I thought on this it just didn’t make sense to me at all & it didn’t to Dr Ca’s nurse either – so … I am getting back on the Vit C. & am glad to get this straightened out. As both Dr Ca & Dr K. both in La. both use Vit C in with their EDTA Chelation IV’s & neither doc told me I had to go off of Vit C. or Magnesium & both have seen my lead levels.
    This is what didn’t make sense the one here must have read something but neither of the other 2 doc’s share this concern & both have 20 yr’s of doing Chelation for heavy metals & for other purposes/

The one thing AF your article shows is the tandem work of Folic acid this is what I am showing despite eating a lot of greens & in my multi’s to be deficient of in my blood work is folic acid – which is important for not just detox but for cardiovascular too. I used to take the L form for a while I cant remember if i was still deficient then or what – I sort of got hit with other distractions such as SD & Lyme that I sort of forgot about this . This is one of many reasons why i did this test I have a postiv family history& my own but also deficient in folic acid – & other markers maybe what is in part of all driving inflammation & can be linked to autoimmune as well as lack of detoxing due to methylation pathways not working well.

Sometimes it’s a good thing we question things had I just accepted this, I believe it would be been wrong.
    The one other tidbit I listened too a video that Dr Lynch has on his FB page about vitamins & foods some of which can be toxic – he says that Green Coffee, Green Tea & to a lesser extent reg. Coffee all reduce methylation
    I sometimes used to drink Green Tea thinking it was good for me. Passing this on.

Jill
    SD Lyme CPn Candida poss Bart & heavy metals.

Jill, All…
    As I was re-reading from this thread, the thought occurred to me that others reading your (Jill’s) original post above — about the doctor saying you had to get off Vitamin C and Magnesium — may not realize that this was in error, and that Vitamin C and Magnesium perhaps might even play a positive part in the chelation. (In the past several years of researching these two nutrients, they are probably two of the most important ones I’ve found — including much time spent in the continuing research of Linus Pauling’s work on Vitamin C, and the lengthy and continuing research building on that of Dr. Mildred Seelig… one of the foremost researchers of (and title of a book of her research): “Magnesium in the Pathogenesis of Disease” (which book is online and can be easily searched free online, regarding any topic readers/patients, etc. might want to know about; the research goes back for years with much detailed research that is helpful today). Also, a search on RBF BB posts should also find much on these, as they have frequently been discussed in posts.

Thanks Jill for clearing this up for us,
    AF

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.