Home Forums General Discussion Mouth Redness & Tenderness–What is the cause?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    sjess
    Participant

Hi All,

I've been on minocycline almost 2 weeks now. The only problem, other than a little nausea, is a reddened and tender mouth around my lip area. I don't see any white nodes, but there is some white on my tongue which has just about always been there.

The sores in my mouth behind my lips look like clear blisters. I have just been putting up with this, but tonight I ate something and the food was somewhat painful in my mouth/burning sensation.

I take a probiotic generally once to three times a day (one is the rec. dosage). I did miss one day.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Is this early stage yeast infection? Another kind of infection? Should I up my dose of probiotic? Should I see my doctor? Would appreciate your advice.

Thanks,
    Sharon

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Sharon – sorry to hear you are dealing with this additional problem. I googled around a bit and found out that ulcers in the mouth and on the lips are not uncommon in patients with Lupus. One possibility is that this may be one manifestation of a herx response after starting mino therapy. If it is thrush, however, then you may need an anti-fungal to deal with it. So I guess it is important for you to find out what it is you are dealing with so that you can proceed with something that will address it. A call or email to Dr S. may be the best course. Lynnie  

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

sjess
    Participant

Lynnie Sydney,

I hadn't thought of it that way. I appreciate you taking the time to look that up. I never thought of calling them mouth ulcers. That makes sense. Would be nice if this is just a herx.

Thanks, Sharon

MMW
    Participant

Hi sjess,

I don't think my mouth problems are ulcer like but I posted my notice of mouth and tongue problems increasing after I upped my dose of mino from MWF 100mg to everyday and twice a day.

I just went back down to Dr. McPherson's recommendation for dosing here on Road back after taking mino 2 times daily for over a month.

My mouth problems got better!  So I will keep it there.

http://www.rbfbb.org/view_topic.php?id=4159&forum_id=1

Don't know if its the mino in your case or not but maybe you can be in tune to the dosage and if you ever go down see if it gets better.

MMW

mkay
    Participant

My tongue story is this, I was simply eating a goldfish cracker and felt pain on my tongue.  I went to investigate it and a taste bud (?) just fell off and was bleeding right in the middle of my tongue.  It was sore for a couple of days and then healed BUT this is when I was herxing I'am almost 100% positive on that, I've never had anything like that happen before so I chalked it up to herxing in the tongue LOL!  Not sure that's even possible but it did happen, OMG this disease thing is so weird, you never know 😛

JBJBJB
    Participant

[user=1956]sjess[/user] wrote:

Hi All,

I've been on minocycline almost 2 weeks now. The only problem, other than a little nausea, is a reddened and tender mouth around my lip area. I don't see any white nodes, but there is some white on my tongue which has just about always been there.

The sores in my mouth behind my lips look like clear blisters. I have just been putting up with this, but tonight I ate something and the food was somewhat painful in my mouth/burning sensation.

Sharon,

I have this problem very frequently. Part of my tongue is very red and tender. I frequently get this little blister, which is extremely painful and sensitive. Even drinking juice would make my tongue burning. Finally I called the doctor's office, begging him to give me “Mary's Magic Mouth Wash”…. This one works very well for my case. I definitely got mouth thrush (yeast infection).

I take probiotics and Diflucan on the regular basis, but I still get a lot of mouth thrush when I am on antibiotics. Later the yeast got to my eyes, sinus and now my voice.

My appointment with ENT doctor is May 3rd. I am going to see a new ENT doctor. Hopefully he is knowledgeable to help me to deal with this problem.

It's a battle, Sharon. I hope you will get it under the control.

JB  

sjess
    Participant

[user=266]JBJBJB[/user] wrote:
    [ Later the yeast got to my eyes, sinus and now my voice. [/size][/color]

JB

JBJBJB
    Participant

[user=1956]sjess[/user] wrote:

What has it done to your voice? I am a singer and definitely don't want that!

Can you only get the mouthwash through a dentist?

Sharon,

I read that voice problem could cause by yeast infection in addition to infection and inflammation. My mouth yeast infection definitely built up in my vocal area after an excessive post nasal drip and mouth thrush problems.

After just one day using Nystat/hydroc/Tetract/Diphen (the long name on that bottle), I can talk now. I still have a struggle talking but at least it's improvement.  

My primary care doctor prescribed it for me.

JB
    [/quote]

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘ Mouth Redness & Tenderness–What is the cause?’ is closed to new replies.