Home Forums General Discussion MIXING MINOCIN WITH IV CLINDY

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jlc6166
    Participant

I am getting my 4th 3 month IV series this week.  I initially tried stopping my minocin dose when I started the IV Clindy.  However, after a day and 1/2 I noticed the old swelling in my hands and feet were coming back.  I am considering taking the Minocin simutaniously with the IV Clindy. 

Does anyone have any experience with this?  Does anyone know of any adverse effects from taking both at once?

Thank you,

Jennifer

Randy
    Participant

Hi Jen,

I keep taking my minocin while I'm IV'g with Clindy.  It certainly has not caused me any problems. 

Sometimes during the IV's I'm also lax in taking my second dose of minocine.  That too has not caused any problems.

However, I have certainly needed to take Tylenol after the IV's to hold back the herxing.

Good luck with your IVs.  I just completed my 9th cycle of IV's! “Blast the Bastards!”

Randy

Diffuse SD since Apr '07
    AP since Feb '08
    100mg Mino twice daily
    Stopped Clindamycin IVs Aug 2019
    "No one should profit over someone else's illness"

kat
    Participant

Dr S does tell us to quit taking our orals with IVs, but I don't know exactly why. I don't THINK its because of interactions but not sure.

Jennifer, I see you are taking your IVs every 3 months? Randy, how often have you been getting yours? Does anyone know how often we can have a full seried of IVs and not be getting too much? Dr S does every 6 months but I'm pretty sure that's because most of us live so far away. I know that as I come up to the 6 month mark from my last IVs that I feel very way over due for another round and I'd surely like to get them more often, but I don't know how often is ok. Thanks for any input!

Randy
    Participant

Hi Kat,

I get  7 days of Clindy IV's (300mg, 600mg, then 900mg for the next 5), then I'm “off” for 3 wks.  That cycle has continued for the last 9 months.

I don't know if there are any negative interactions going on between the 2 different types of antibiotics, but each by themselves are a bit tough on the body as it is; that's why we need to take good probiotics.  For me, I am very prone to diarrhea during the Clindy IV's, so I double my probiotics (most importantly, doubling my Ultra Flora IB's, by Metageics – they work great!).

I'm not sure I start feeling worse, or needing the Clindy IV's prior to a cycle.  I haven't correlated that yet.  I definitely feel worse due to herxing up to 4 days after.  Regardless, I always look forward to getting my IV's started because I know I'm blasting the bastards, and this part along with the rest of the whole protocol will cure me, as it has for numerous other SD folks.

By the way, my local family doctor facilitates the administration of my IV's.  So, I don't get them at Dr. F.'s Riverside facility, nor does any of his patients, as far as I know.

Randy

* P.S. – Of course, no one likes or looks forward to getting poked!

Diffuse SD since Apr '07
    AP since Feb '08
    100mg Mino twice daily
    Stopped Clindamycin IVs Aug 2019
    "No one should profit over someone else's illness"

jlc6166
    Participant

I get 5 days of IV clindy every 3 months.  I start right of at 900mg, and to answer your question I start to feel like I am “ready” for my next dose after about 2 months. 

I don't have problems with diarreah.  My problems are with constipation constantly.  The probiotics don't seem to help with that. 

I also haven't notices any herxing.  I wonder why? :doh:

I have continued taking the antibiotics and so far haven't noticed any problems except that my swelling has decreased significantly.

Jennifer

kat
    Participant

Thanks to both of you for your replies, very helpful!

Jennifer, after 8 years of diarrhea, I have now also developed constipation. This happened about 3 months after my first round of IV Clindy. Even though I take oral Clindy, I continue to be constipated.

mschmidt
    Participant

I'm going for my 1st round of IV therapy with Dr. S next week.  I wasn't aware that I needed to continue the IV therapy after the initial 5 day boost. (also taking 100mg Minocin 2x day) I have an appt with Dr. F in Riverside the end of February, and he said he only puts patients on IV protocol if he deems it necessary. Otherwise, oral AP combined with nutritional supplementation.  Why so many IV's?  My docs don't know if I have limited or diffuse. All my testing has been normal, although I have tight and swollen skin on my fingers, hands, and wrists, tight skin up to my elbows, some mild heartburn, mostly after meal in the evening, some joint pain in knees, and Raynauds. 

kat
    Participant

People often can get away with one round of IVs (or even none). But some of us do respond better to IVs than oral or feel we need the extra boost. For me, IVs are just about the only thing that works (I was sick for many years before even getting a Dx let alone any treatment.)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘ MIXING MINOCIN WITH IV CLINDY’ is closed to new replies.