Home Forums General Discussion Mitral Valve Prolapse–related symptoms, dx's, chronic candida, autoimmune thyroiditis, etc

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    A Friend
    Participant

http://www.mdheal.org/magnesiu.htm

All of the Abstract on “Magnesium Deficiency in the Pathogenesis of Mitral Valve Prolapse” may disappear after “previewing” and posting  This paper can be very enlightening to many of us who know we have MVP (Mitral Valve Prolapse)  or who have symptoms that lead to finding this out — especially when we look at key mentions of a 46% prevalence of MVP in patients being treated for chronic infection with candida albicans — having hypersensitivity to Candida as well as chronic infection.  Also, findings for autoimmune thyroiditis, etc.  AF.   

[align=center][font=”Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif”]Leo D. Galland, Sidney M. Baker, Robert K McLellan
    Gesell Institute of Human Development, New Haven, Conn., USA
    [/align]

[align=center][font=”Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif”]Abstract[/font][/align][/size][/font]

………….[text omitted here]

[Much good information was skipped, but recommend you read all above this inserted excerpt. AF]

Quoted Material from  http://www.mdheal.org/magnesiu.htm
    begins:[/size][/color]

[font=”Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif”]The MVP Syndrome: Dysautonomia [/font]

[font=”Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif”]Symptoms most commonly encountered in patients with MVP are chest pain, dyspnea, fatigue, dizziness, syncope, palpitations and anxiety [62, 96]. A cardiac origin for these symptoms has not been established and Wooley [96) and Boudoulas et al. [8] propose that they are neuroendocrine in origin. This group found higher urinary catecholaffiine excretion, higher blood glucose and shorter systolic time intervals in patients than in controls [8]. Elevated plasma catecholamine levels were reported by a Canadian team [79]. Gaffney et al. [41] measured cardiovascular responses to a series of maneuvers in 35 women and concluded that those with MVP had decreased parasympathetic, increased aadrenergic and normal P-adrenergic tone. On the other hand, orthostatic hypotension, a common finding among MVP patients with dizziness, appears to be due to excessive 0adrenergic tone [85]. Resting bradycardia, a sign of parasympathetic overactivity. is common in MVP [68]. even among patients with elevated catecholarnine levels [79]. After analyzing cardiovascular and respiratory responses to postural change and Valsalva maneuver, Coghlan et al. [16] concluded that different patterns of dysautonomia may occur in MVP; cholinergic hyperactivity is as frequent as adrenergic, especially in patients with fatique and poor concentration.[/font]

[font=”Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif”][edit:underscoring/bold by AF][/font]

[font=”Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif”]MVP occurs in 15-50% of patients with panic disorder [51, 64, 76, 92], a condition of adrenergic hyperfunction [14, 77], and in 40% of patients with hyperthyroidism [13], another hyperadrenergic state associated with autoimmunity. The absence of MVP in juvenile hyperthyroidism [11] and the finding of MVP in 41 % of patients with autoimmune thyroiditis [74] suggest that adrenergic hyperactivity is not a cause of prolapse. It is more likely that dysautonomia, autoimmune phenomena and MVP are all manifestations of the same disturbance. Galland [42] found a 46% prevalence of MVP in patients being treated for chronic infection with Candida albicans,- these patients all had symptoms of hypersensitivity to Candida, as well as chronic infection. Recently, investigators at The Omega Institute in New Orleans, La., reported an unusually high frequency (96%) of MVP in women with infertility due to pelvic fibroadhesive disease [4]. These observations indicate that the etiology of MVP is much broader than a simple Mendelian dyscollagenosis.  [Quoted material ends][/font]

[font=”Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif”][/font] 

linda
    Participant

AF,

What is the pelvic fibro adhesive disease in women mentioned at the end of the article? I was wondering if it was endometriosis, as I have read several articles about the high incidence of women who have endometriosis and also have an autoimmune disease- I'm one of them. Thanks for this information, btw.

linda

A Friend
    Participant

[user=11]linda[/user] wrote:

AF, What is the pelvic fibro adhesive disease in women mentioned at the end of the article? I was wondering if it was endometriosis, as I have read several articles about the high incidence of women who have endometriosis and also have an autoimmune disease- I'm one of them. Thanks for this information, btw.
    linda

Linda, I'm not very knowledgeable of these problems, but was interested in knowing more.  Some of the reading while trying to get an understanding and definition of “pelvic fibro adhesive disease” was very, very interesting…. and surprising at what symptom in one area pointed to an area a good distance from the reported causal area. 

These are the notes I took on what I read (hope they are helpful): 

http://www.pelvicpain.com/diagnosis.html

[Note:  This paper is long, but to the point and informative.  Under History and Physical Examination, note the relationships between each area and what each area relates to…very unexpected and interesting!]

Under “Treatment Considerations”, a ways down, it reads:  “While there are no guaranteed cures for endometriosis or adhesions, there are effective treatments for these conditions. Other associated or secondary conditions (such as vulvodynia, IC, visceral hypersensitivity and fibromyalgia) which have arisen as a result of the initial problems can be more difficult to treat. In my experience, the majority of patients have more than one problem and it takes the commitment and cooperation of both the patient and the team of health care providers.”

The above reference to vulvodynia brings back memories of reading about this difficult-to-treat malady in Dr. Wm Crook's book, “The Yeast Connection and the Woman” in which Dr. Crook wrote at length about a patient with this diagnosis and how it was resolved.  From the above several references, my best guess/feeling is that candidiasis along with fibromyalgia and magnesium deficiency (relating to the spasms mentioned as a cause of some of the pain) might be good areas with which to explore and read more about and experiment. 

The Physical Examination under History & Physical Examination of each body area is quite interesting and surprising as to where the symptoms in one area name another area as a possible source of the problem.  This might give you lots of help in playing detective with your own case. 

[This link below is to a personal web site where the owner posts her story about her own experience with these type fibro adhesions. 
    http://home.earthlink.net/~jjmail/2003.07.01_arch.html ]

Linda, thanks for tweaking my interest further. One of my favorite sayings is:  “No knowledge is ever wasted.” 

AF

Edit:  Linda, look what I found!  A paper on these type maladies, with references to Dr. Crook's work regarding vulvodynia. I glanced over it and am very excited about what I saw, and decided to paste it here.  The link was so long, I'm pasting a tinyurl as well as the longer one.   Am thinking this subject just may need to be under a new topic of its own.  Many people have chronic vaginal yeast problems, which no doubt affect a lot of the lower anatomy.  Also, it is my understanding that others can have systemic yeast overgrowth, yet never have a visible, usual woman's type yeast infection.  Either way, this article should be a real eyeopener.  AF 

http://tinyurl.com/59k7hz
    http://www.immunesolutions.net/suggested_reading_resources/health/CandidaVulva07_97DrMurray.pdf

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘ Mitral Valve Prolapse–related symptoms, dx's, chronic candida, autoimmune thyroiditis, etc’ is closed to new replies.