Home Forums General Discussion minocyn

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    dmarcoccia
    Participant

I am allergic to pennicillan (SP?) does anyone know if Minocyn is similar to that?  I hope not! 😎

Lizz
    Participant

Hi and welcome – I've been allergic to penicillin since I was 5 years old and have been on minocin for 14 months, not a problem! Mino is a different drug class than penicillin. Hope you feel better soon!

Lizz – RA 11/07, Sulfasalazine 6/06, Pred. 4mg 2/08, occasional diflucan

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Denise…yup, Lizz is right on. Tetracyclines are bacteriostatics and penicillins are bacteriocidal…they work very differently and tetracyclines are generally well tolerated.

Have you got the books yet? There's also tons of great info on the main website under the Education tab. You'll feel inundated with all there is to learn, but sounds like you're a real woman of action!

Peace, Maz

dmarcoccia
    Participant

THANKS GUYS THAT IS GREAT NEWS AND I WILL START READING. 🙂

chriscw8
    Participant

Hi Denise,

I am allergic to Penicillin and Biaxin.  I have been on AP therapy for a month using Minocin and have no problem.  You should be okay.  Good Luck.

Christine

dmarcoccia
    Participant

Thank you Christine!  glad to hear that.  I hope you are feelingl better.

Denise

dmarcoccia
    Participant

Maz, the day after I was diagnosed (or kind of diangnosed) in Feb. I ordered every book I could find. I was scared to death from searching the internet.  There is some pretty scary stuff out there.  Then I met Shirley from the SD Foundation and she kept me off the web!  I read Henrey Schammell's book first and was very hopeful.   I then read some on Connective tissue disorders since I wasn't sure what was going on.  And I read Scleroderma, The first year as well as Maureen Taylor's book that I found very interesting.  Are there more you would recommend? 

Thanks again.

Denise

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Denise….don't think I know Shirley, but she sure sounds like she is one of those earth angels that flew in just when you needed her!

Yup…those are the books. You're well ahead of the game…and you really are a woman of action!  😉  Won't be long till you're on your road back now. Your little guy looks like such a sweetie. My girls are 22 and 16 now.

So, you're over on LI? I'm just across the Sound from you…a ferry's ride from Port Jeff. It's such a small world these days, isn't it?

Peace, Maz

wendi
    Participant

Maz,

I've taken that ferry over to the Island.  We went for lunch one day.  It was a lot of fun!!  I live in FL now, but we are debating on moving bak up to the NE.  I miss it.

Wendi

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Wendi,

Funny…hubby and I are talking about retirement down south somewhere to move away from the cold winters! Of course, this wouldn't be for about 15 years yet, but it's nice to dream. 😀 

Peace, Maz

wendi
    Participant

Maz,

I have 25 years until I can even think about retirement. (maybd we'll have a cure by then, if not I'll be ok as long as the mino keeps working:D).  Maybe by then I'll want to come back down South.  Not the best place to raise kids.  Of course, niehter was NYC.:shock:

wendi

dmarcoccia
    Participant

Hi Maz, I think Shirley goes by Cubby on the boards and she has a pic of her cutre little pooch.  yes, she was amazing.  The only person I spoke to about it in the beginning.  I must have drove her nutz!  She is on the SD board alot but I think I saw her on here too.

We just went to Mystic last weekend!  Just an overnight stay but it was wondeful!

If you ever come over here on the Ferry let me know, I am 5 minutes from Port Jeff.

So you had your hands full with kids too!  Thomas is a sweetie.  I thank god for him every day.

Maz
    Keymaster

Oh yes! Now I know who you mean – I recognize the name Cubby on this BB. Isn't it great how we bump into these wonderful people just by chance and, even though we may never meet them in person, they somehow manage to change the course of our lives? 😀

Gosh, haven't been to Mystic Seaport for years – your mention of it brought back memories. Went on school field trips with both my girls when they reached Grade 6. Fun place to spend the day! The aquarium is supposed to be good, too, and I enjoyed the flea market. 

Ya know…thanks for the offer, Denise! I've never made the ferry ride over to Port Jeff….friends of our have a boat, so we've been over with them and docked for the day, but just stayed aboard to enjoy the water and sun. Looks like a lovely area, though, so plan do that sometime when the ol' knees are up to walking a bit more.

Peace, Maz 

dmarcoccia
    Participant

okay – well anytime you decide let me know! 

Mystic was great.  The little guy loved it – it was his first “vacation” 

check him out!

dmarcoccia
    Participant

well, when you're ready, let me know…it's beautiful over there. 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘ minocyn’ is closed to new replies.