Home Forums General Discussion Minocycline Sun Sensitivity & dosage questions & probiotics & MP

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    goldengate99
    Participant

Went today to Target to pick up my Minocyline – I had to get the generic as the brand name was going to cost me over $500.

As an aside, I am going to send off to Canada for Minocin as soon as I get a paper Rx from the doc. Ironic, as I am Canadian and live in the USA…

The pharmacist told me that it makes one very sun sensitive. Is this a common side -effect?

He told me to take 50mg once a day, then 50mg twice a day, working up to 100mg twice a day.

From what i've read on here, most of you take 100mg on MWF. Is that the case?

And, what is MP?

And when do I take my probiotics.

I wish there was a FAQ / New Users Guide!!!

many thanks.

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=434]goldengate99[/user] wrote:

I wish there was a FAQ / New Users Guide!!!

There is! Just click here under “Education” on the main website…the physician's packet has tons of great info and where the rationale for pulsed dosing is described:

https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/education.sub/subgroup_id/30.html

MP = The Marshall Protocol found here: http://www.marshallprotocol.com

The purpose of probiotics is to replenish the good bacteria that are destroyed in the gut from antibiotics. So, it's good to wait a good 2 or 3 hours after your mino dose to ensure that the probiotics aren't negated.

All the tetracyclines cause some degree of sun hypersensitivity, so a good idea to slather on the sun block. Hyperpigmentation can also be an issue, so a good idea to take daily Vit C (with rosehip as a stomach buffer) after food. This helps prevent the blue/grey skin discoloration (freckles or patches) some people experience from mino.

Congrats on getting your first script and all the best as you begin your road back!

Peace, Maz

PS I find it ironic, too, as I'm also Canadian born, living in CT.

pam
    Participant

I was on minocin 200mg/day and I am very brown. When people see me the first thing they remark on is my “tan”.

I live in the tropics so it is impossible to avoid the sun. I lather up with 50 SPF sunscreen every day.

Everyone is different but severe cases often need it daily like I do and it is no problem taking it daily.  Especially if you have bladder problem you definitely will get relief from that on daily dosing.  Just make sure you ask for a systemic antifungal so you have adequate relief on that side of things.  Just work up to what ever gets you relief.

I also take it all in one go as recommended by Dr. N .  It made my life much easier when on many abx.  Really could not have coped with it twice a day under the circumstances.  All you seem to do is watch the clock for the next whatever, as it is.

Everything 2 hours apart usually if you can. especially any supps.

Please read all the information under education even if it does not apply to you.  You just might pick up something that is relevant

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

[user=434]goldengate99[/user] wrote:

The pharmacist told me that it makes one very sun sensitive. Is this a common side -effect?

I have two daughter's who took Minocin, in the middle of the summer, in California and they are both year round competitive swimmers.  As was said above, no way to avoid the sun.  Jess, who is on minocin for scleroderma, is also very tan.  She now lives in San Diego and spends at least 25 hours a week at swim practice in the sun.  Neither of my daughters experienced any sun sensitivity.  And, I am embarrassed to say, they were not always smart about sunscreen.  You can see in my avatar picture that they have fair skin too.  So, as was said above, everyone reacts differently.  You will just have to see how our body reacts and make the necessary modifications.

Good luck!

Cheryl

Michele
    Participant

Hi GG,

Your doctor is VERY perceptive to start low and ramp up! You must have an experienced AP doctor if he/she picked up on your need to start at 50 mg and move up! I am one who has to start low and ramp up over time. Dr. S in IA had me start at essentially 1 mg. Everyone's response is different. I know Dr. S sometimes has people start at 100 mg twice a day. It's awesome that your doctor is tailoring the dose to you!

Good luck!

Michele

goldengate99
    Participant

He's a local RD here at a University hospital – his name is on The Road Back Foundation's website. He wasn't convinced AP was the right thing for me, he suggested a combo of MTX/Plaq/Sulfasalazine. His wife has RA and she's not on AP…. but he's a good listener and a really nice person. Since I'm young and the RA is early, I figure there's nothing to lose by trying AP…

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Great that he's a good listener and a good guy. Maybe you'll end up his model patient. Then he may consider AP as an option for his wife….a nice domino effect perhaps? Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘ Minocycline Sun Sensitivity & dosage questions & probiotics & MP’ is closed to new replies.