Home Forums General Discussion Minocycline causing sexual problems?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    User5639
    Participant

New to this website – I didn’t see any other threads on this. I was just wondering if it’s common/possible for people taking minocycline long-term to develop sexual problems/impotence. Anyone have any experience with problems like this? Specifically for people who are still young (20’s & 30’s).

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

I have been on this board for almost 20 years and never heard of such a problem but many diseases can cause it especially Scleroderma

User5639
    Participant

Thanks Lynne. I haven’t actually seen a doctor about it yet – I just wanted to touch base here to see if it might be minocycline related as I have been taking it for almost 5 years now for my RA.

mikana
    Participant

My husband has been taking since 2008 along with clindy and he’s had no issues at all

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

I was just wondering if it’s common/possible for people taking minocycline long-term to develop sexual problems/impotence. Anyone have any experience with problems like this?

Yes, it’s definitely possible. I remember reading that doxycycline and/or minocycline can cause reduced testosterone. My experience has been that they both can cause reduced libido and reduced sensitivity. Apparently, the tetracyclines are endocrine disruptors.

Here’s some recent research:

Testosterone disruptor effect and gut microbiome perturbation in mice: Early life exposure to doxycycline.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30738315

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.