Home Forums General Discussion Minocycline

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Hoping
    Participant

I just asked my doctor to switch me from tetracycline to minocycline. He's o.k. with that, but he prescribed it for 2 days a week instead of MWF. Is it going to be effective if it's only 2 days a week? Also, is it better to take it without food or with food?

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hoping – the historical (Dr Brown) protocol called for a regime of Monday, Wednesday and Friday. However, this was often reduced to twice a week in highly sensitised patients (to reduce the possible herxheimer reaction to tolerable levels). Sometimes, doses were prescribed that were incredibly small in such cases, gradually working up. (See page 267 The New Arthritis Breakthrough). Results are certainly still seen this way – it's just that the herxing tends to be more tolerable. You will also see in the Historical Protocol as detailed on our main web site http://www.roadback.org in the Physicians Pages:<span style="color: black]'There is no single protocol which works for everyone; each patient is different'.[/color”> In other words, the treatment needs to be individualised. This section also states that twice a week is usual for severe or longstanding disease:

Severe or Long-standing Disease

Patients with severe or long-standing disease are started on a low dose of oral minocycline or doxycycline ranging, according to patient tolerance, from 50-100 mg. or tetracycline 250 mg. once daily one to two days per week. Titrated to patient tolerance the dose should be increased to a working standard dose of minocycline or doxycycline 100 mg once daily
    [/color]
    There may be other reasons why your doctor has prescribed twice a week dosing for you in the beginning. It would be best to ask him/her.

BTW, I am on a different abx regime – but mine is a twice a week regime also. Re food – if you can take the mino 2 hours away from food with no resulting nausea, then this is generally advised for 100% of the mino to be absorbed. I believe that this is reduced to 85% with food. However, many people prefer to take a little food with the dose to avoid nausea. Lynnie 

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘ Minocycline’ is closed to new replies.