Home Forums General Discussion Minocin/Minocycline and Prilosec

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Randy
    Participant

At Walmart yesterday I found that there is a new Equate brand for Prilosec (omeprazole) that is about $5 cheaper.  That's nice.

But when I looked at the incrediants I noticed that the original Prilosec has some magnesium in it! This concerns me because we don't want to take Minocin/Minocycline with calcium or magnesium. I don't know how much magnesium is in the original Prilosec, but I didn't see magnesium listed in the the new Equate brand.

Randy

Diffuse SD since Apr '07
    AP since Feb '08
    100mg Mino twice daily
    Stopped Clindamycin IVs Aug 2019
    "No one should profit over someone else's illness"

JeffN
    Participant

Randy – How's it going? In regard to the Prilosec I take mine around 7AM and then eat breakfast then around 9:30 to 10 AM I take my minocycline. Things seem to be working fine. I think that is enough separation. But I'm open to suggeston on this.

Randy
    Participant

Hi Jeff,

I think I am doing pretty well, thanks for asking.  I hope you are doing well.

In March, Dr. F. had told me there was no problem taking Prilosec at the same time as minocin/minocycline.  So, I can assume he's right.

However, it's just concerning to see magnesium listed and realize that Prilosec is also “slow release”

Randy

Diffuse SD since Apr '07
    AP since Feb '08
    100mg Mino twice daily
    Stopped Clindamycin IVs Aug 2019
    "No one should profit over someone else's illness"

richie
    Participant

Hi

Actually it is preferable to take a slow release anti-gerd medication –prilosec generic not SR will only last about 4 hours or so –AS opposed to buying the EQuate brand in Wal -Mart where they will import it from just about anyplace –have you looked into the feasibility of having your doctor write a prescription for the generic –you might find if you have insurance –it will be far far less expensive to have a pharmacist fill it —I think that is why DR T up at Harvard insists on no other meds etc for two hours before and after because of possible absorption issues with other meds –I use a daily dose of nexium

Richie

Richie 

JBJBJB
    Participant

[user=16]richie[/user] wrote:

I use a daily dose of nexium

Richie,

I am using protonix 40 mg per day. I don't know if this is name brand or generic. I pay $34 (monthly) after insurance. Is this Nexium generic or name brand? Does this medicine have slow release function? I am thinking to switch my acid reflux med.

Thank you for any information you could provide for me!

JB

richie
    Participant

Hi

Protonix is the brand –nexium is brand –it is time release and I just take one daily in the AM–been taking it now aqbout 5–6 years and have had excellent results –I did have real bad reflux before taking it –

richie

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘ Minocin/Minocycline and Prilosec’ is closed to new replies.