Home Forums General Discussion Minocin vs New Born

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    David C
    Participant

Hi members

Need some opinion. I've been on minocin for almost a year. Is it save for my wife to conceived while I'm on long term antibiotic intake. Will it affect the abnormality of the new born?

Thanks

David C

Eva Holloway
    Participant

David,

Have your wife talk to her ob/gyn doctor and you need to talk the doctor who is prescribing your Mino.

Eva:D

Eva Holloway

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=1184]David C[/user] wrote:

Need some opinion. I've been on minocin for almost a year. Is it save for my wife to conceived while I'm on long term antibiotic intake. Will it affect the abnormality of the new born?

Hi David,

Nice to see you!

I second Eva – definitely something to check with your doc…is it still Dr T?

Here is one study on various antibiotics and their effects on spermatozoa, including tetracycline (there may be other studies, but this is one that I fell upon doing a quick search):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9740442

Seems that tetracyclines may impede sperm's motility (slow down their ability to swim), which I'm assuming means it may be more difficult to conceive. Whether this also means it could affect sperm quality or not is something to check with your doc to ensure the wellbeing of a new baby.

It could well be that a washout period of some specified duration by your doctor may be all that is needed to try for a pregnancy or to collect sperm for in-vitro fertilization, which might be another option to consider. As you're doing so well on AP, taking a break for a few weeks would likely not affect your longterm progress on therapy by very much, if at all.

Hope all is well with you and your wife, David! 🙂 We had two Road Back babies this year…Ruth (Spacehoppa) and Tom (TBird) both had baby sons, so there are lots of ready-made uncles and aunties here ready to welcome more!

Peace, Maz 

David C
    Participant

Hi Maz

Thanks for the info. Currently I'm not seeing any AP Dr since visiting Dr T about 11 months ago. Am thinking of seeing an AP doc in MA. The one I told you about before leaving for the Asia trip. Wow, time flies. It was about 6 months ago.

Well, my wife is already about 5 weeks pregnant. Her gynecologist wasn't sure about the AP. He mentioned something like as long as the antibiotic's function is solely to break the cell wall and do nothing else. Then it's fine. I guess now the only thing is to hope for the best. Maybe that's just unnecessary worries. 

Something worth mentioning here is that I've started taking Neprinol after checking them out on this site. I do feel some difference before and after. The only problem is I felt tired and some stomach cramp on & off during the week I took them and feel normal the week I skipped them. I only tried 2 pills a day in alternate week. So far, only had 2 weeks of intake since started about a month ago.  I know some of you are taking them. Wonder you guys have the same experience.

David C

Maz
    Keymaster

Well, my wife is already about 5 weeks pregnant. Her gynecologist wasn't sure about the AP. He mentioned something like as long as the antibiotic's function is solely to break the cell wall and do nothing else. Then it's fine. I guess now the only thing is to hope for the best. Maybe that's just unnecessary worries. 

Hi David and CONGRATULATIONS, Dad! 😀

I understand your concerns and putting it out there for you that all is well. I'm a little confused by the gyne's comment, because the antibiotics that break cell walls are like the penicillins. Tetras don't do that, because they are “bacteriostatic,” which is why they are used for mycoplasma, as mycoplasma don't have cell walls. Maybe when you go to see the other MA AP doc you can look further into this with him?

I also take Neprinol daily, but when I started I was taking a much higher dose…trying to go back in time here with my memory…think it was 2 or 3 caps three times a day as suggested on the bottle. I currently take 3 caps a day. At both the high and low dose, I never experienced any side-effects like stomach pain, but I guess anything is possible and we're all unique. For inflammation, they need to be taken on an empty stomach and used like this are called, “systemic enzymes,” as they work by breaking down proteins (antigens) circulating in the bloodstream. If taken with food, they only work as digestive enzymes to break down proteins in the foods eaten.

All the very best to you and your wife – what happy news!

Peace, Maz

Kim
    Participant

Hi David,

Happy news about the pregnancy, congratulations. 🙂

I've used Neprinol now for years and wouldn't be without it, never has it made me feel worse, only better.  I always take it on an empty stomach for the anti-fibrotic properties.  If you take it with food it is an over-priced digestive enzyme.  If you can get it to agree with you it does wonders for circulation and inflammation.

Take care…..kim

Jennifer
    Participant

Kim and Maz,

Can you take neprinol with other medications?  Jennifer just her first bottle in the mail and put it with the rest of her morning and night meds.  She is waits several hours to eat after taking her meds each day.

Thanks,

Jack

Kim
    Participant

Jack,

I take my Neprinol first thing in the morning with my thyroid meds (on an empty stomach), but I really haven't researched if that's the best way to do it.  There may be more info on the Neprinol site.

kim

mschmidt
    Participant

I'm not sure I'm going to be much help here but, I was told to take my systemic enzymes 2 hours apart from the Minocin and thyroid meds.  I have a crazy pill schedule–am up at 5:00 a.m. to take my thyroid every other day, 7:00 a.m. I take Minocin, 9:00 a.m. is the enzymes, 10:00 a.m I eat and take my Lyme meds…have to wait 2 hours to take vitamins/minerals, then probiotics, enzymes again before lunch, 2nd round of supplements…and repeat for evening meal (everything but thyroid meds)  I also take DHEA, which needs to be 2 hours apart from my abx.  I feel like my full-time job is keeping everything straight!!:shock:

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Jack,

I take my maintenance Neprinol dose (3 caps per day now) at bed-time on an empty stomach, along with my evening probiotics, NAC, ALA, Vit D3, milk thistle…ummm…think that's about it…at least two hours after my antibiotics at night. I keep all my supps well away from my antibiotics, just to be sure they don't interfere with absorption, bio-availability, etc.

Let us know how Jennifer does on her Neprinol and what she thinks after a month or two. Kim had pretty spectacular results with thinning her sticky blood. 😀

Peace, Maz

PhilC
    Participant

Something worth mentioning here is that I've started taking Neprinol after checking them out on this site. I do feel some difference before and after. The only problem is I felt tired and some stomach cramp on & off during the week I took them and feel normal the week I skipped them. I only tried 2 pills a day in alternate week. So far, only had 2 weeks of intake since started about a month ago.  I know some of you are taking them. Wonder you guys have the same experience.

Hi David,

I haven't taken Neprinol, but I have taken several different enzymes on and off and I am not surprised by your experience. My (limited) experience so far seems to indicate that enzymes that do not come in an enteric-coated capsule or tablet are more likely to cause stomach upset. Because of that, I will no longer buy any enzyme supplements that do not come in an enteric-coated capsule or tablet.

You may want to experiment with taking the Neprinol only a few days a week. Maybe try taking it on the days you don't take your Minocin for a week or two and then try taking it on the same days that you take your Minocin for a week or two and see how they compare.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘ Minocin vs New Born’ is closed to new replies.