Home Forums General Discussion Minocin & Muscle Cramps

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    fastspinW
    Participant

Dear A Friend,

Thanks for your input on my difficulties with muscle cramps. I found what you had to say of great interest and I have ordered a copy of Mildred Seelig's Magnesium Factor today. In addition to spending a lot of time in the sun, I am also a diabetic on a low carb/high protein diet so it appears likely that magnesium may be a problem for me. Additionally the one time I was checked for serum magnesium levels mine were at the very bottom of the scale.

I would really appreciate it if you could forward the links you mentioned in your post as I would love to take a look.

Thanks!

Winston

Randy
    Participant

Winston,

Thanks so much for the follow up about the Rebuilder device you use for your peripheral neuropathy.  I can't wait to investigate the link you provided. More soon; I need to get some sleep.

Randy

Diffuse SD since Apr '07
    AP since Feb '08
    100mg Mino twice daily
    Stopped Clindamycin IVs Aug 2019
    "No one should profit over someone else's illness"

A Friend
    Participant

[user=313]fastspinW[/user] wrote:

….Thanks for your input on my difficulties with muscle cramps. I found what you had to say of great interest and I have ordered a copy of Mildred Seelig's Magnesium Factor today.

In addition to spending a lot of time in the sun, I am also a diabetic on a low carb/high protein diet so it appears likely that magnesium may be a problem for me. Additionally the one time I was checked for serum magnesium levels mine were at the very bottom of the scale. 

I would really appreciate it if you could forward the links you mentioned in your post as I would love to take a look.

Thanks!

Winston

Winston,

With your being gone a lot, the copy of Seelig's work you ordered will be convenient to have. (I'm sure you are aware that it is online, and can be searched within the book itself, should you like to “Find” instances of a particular topic.) 

With your diabetes dx, it does seem even more important that you learn all you can about your own body and research re: magnesium deficiency and your pH balance.  In the link by P. Braun, she reports research that shows/tells how inaccurate serum magnesium tests are… and why — and the best way to get an accurate test.  With yours showing low on your past blood serum test, that report even shows it low even while your body is borrowing all it safely can… and yet the serum level is low. 

I will locate the research that tells about IV magnesium being needed in certain cases.  Because my own pH and magnesium deficiency made it difficult to get my pH in a healthy range (even while working really hard on everything), I read by Sherry Rogers about a product from the Pain and Stress Center Lab in San Antonio that is the closest to IV magnesium, MagChlor85.  (In P. Braun's paper on Mag Deficiency link, she discusses much info on problems when mag deficient.  Are you old enough to have heard about the runner Jim Fixx dieing while running?  If so, this has been reported as his being deficient in magnesium, and perhaps possibly other minerals as well… don't have this info before me now.

Winston, I believe you and all of us need to be knowledgeable of this information, as our illnesses, medications, diet, stress, metabolism… just about every function creates the need for even more magnesium and other necessary minerals. 

Will PM you specific links, etc. as I locate them. 

AF

A Friend
    Participant

Hi Winston,

I went to Seelig's book online to do a search on Diabetes, and found it along with a list of other topics/links.  Thought you and others might like to have it.

http://www.mgwater.com/index.shtml

http://www.mgwater.com/listc.shtml#diabetes

I also saw muscle cramps listed. 

AF

fastspinW
    Participant

Dear A Friend,

Thanks for the links and I will check them out soon as I can find a moment.

All best,
    Winston

casey
    Participant

Hi there!

I have not posted much in recent months due to our family matters, appts, blah blah blah but felt i needed to add to this topic in light of what i learnt yesterday. As some  of you may recall ,my mom (lupus) was diagnosed with cancer (gynelogical type) and was operated on a few weeks ago. Anyway, she had a complication and i took her into emerg sat night and the on call doc managed to get her an appt the next am with her gynecologist. When the gyn was wanting her to lower herself down on the gurney she was expressing that it was hard for her as she has severe cramps . Immediately the doc said, “i am assuming you are low in magnesium, we will test that but in the meantime i am giving you a prescript for magnesium. Cramps are due to low magnesium and magnesium is something needed and prescribed for most if not all of my pregnant patients.”

I just wanted to pass on that as soon as this doc heard muscle cramps, magnesium was mentioned right away ! Amazing that a 69 yr old woman with 20 yrs of lupus and muscle cramps hears about her magnesium deficiency from a gynecologist .

justsaynoemore
    Participant

I have had muscle cramps since I was a teenager.  They have gotten worse the past three years since diagnosis.  I used to be able to get them to stop with higher calcium/magnesium intake.

But, its all coming from a collapsed lower back and degenerative disc disease.  I just got back from a fantastic consultation with a neurosurgeon, and he was so good it was scary.  Absolutely, the leg and feet cramps are being caused by the pinching of the nerves from the lack of space due to the collapse of four discs.  I have total control over when to pull the trigger on massive back surgery, and right now with conservative chiropractic care and epidurals, I am keeping it at bay.  He loved it that the chiro sent me to him and I was staying conservative.  He said it would probably be a series of huge operations as he would pick the worst level first, and that might not even be the level where its coming from.

As I was married to a chiro for 22 years, I know the stats of back surgeries – not good.

Anyway, just wanted to say good luck and be sure to keep up the work on the back, as it could be the source of the cramps.  Take care ~~ Cathy

Kim
    Participant

Hey Casey,

Sorry to hear your mom has hit a rough patch.  How are you and your son doing?

kim

A Friend
    Participant

[user=394]justsaynoemore[/user] wrote:

I have had muscle cramps since I was a teenager.  They have gotten worse the past three years since diagnosis.  I used to be able to get them to stop with higher calcium/magnesium intake.

But, its all coming from a collapsed lower back and degenerative disc disease.  I just got back from a fantastic consultation with a neurosurgeon, and he was so good it was scary.  Absolutely, the leg and feet cramps are being caused by the pinching of the nerves from the lack of space due to the collapse of four discs.  I have total control over when to pull the trigger on massive back surgery, and right now with conservative chiropractic care and epidurals, I am keeping it at bay. …………….~~ Cathy

Cathy,

So sorry you are going through this painful and difficult time.  Hope you get relief soon.

Were I in your place, I'd be wanting to know what caused the collapsed lower back and degenerative disc disease that you think may possibly be causing the leg and feet cramps. 

Were I thinking about my own case/body, I'd be thinking that the degenerative conditions were probably caused by perhaps too much calcium and too little magnesium. I've found much research that shows that when we are magnesium deficient and not calcium deficient, taking more calcium uses up the magnesium we are supplementing because the magnesium must accompany calcium in functions, so can get used up and not enough is left for many other needed magnesium functions.    I've read that's the way calcium can be left in areas where it is not supposed to remain, and calcification is formed there.   

If you haven't read many of the posts on this subject on RBFBB, especially from the Mildred Seelig online book, you might get an even bigger picture of “possibilities.”  I'd hate to see you overlook any causes of the bone collapses and degeneration and have this condition affect other areas. 

Edit pasted on Aug 5, 2009 — this is a link to a post to Ruth by AF on Apr 21, 2009:

http://rbfbb.org/view_topic.php?id=2379&forum_id=1&highlight=magnesium+deficiency

Best to you,

AF

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘ Minocin & Muscle Cramps’ is closed to new replies.