Home Forums General Discussion Minocin from Wyeth Labs unavailable

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 16 years ago by Maz.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    caroline
    Participant

Wyeth sold out to Triax & my attempted communication with Triax was
    not fruitful. Wyeth told me the brand name is no longer available & that
    only generics are now used.

The Marshall Protocol cautioned a lack of consistent effectiveness
    among various generic minocins – causing a postponement of healing/no healing. But I am unaware of what companies make acceptable generics. Who knows names of labs to ask for?

Different labs/manufacturers cover different geographic areas. Did your doctor specify a specific brand due to consistent quality/effectiveness of
    the drug?

My current Minocin, from the Los Angeles area, is filled by Rambaxy. I have seen some slight improvement over almost a month & have no idea if mtminocin is working at all since I began without any prior testing. ,,,I
    hear a minimum of 4-6 months are needed before we may see a remission

The quality control people at Wyeth said that the active ingredients in generics are all the same chemical component. What differs between drug labs is the inactive ingredients such as the coating, coloring & binder holding the pill together. Those inactive ingredients should not matter in terms of effectiveness. And don't most of our drugs come from India ? I
    have had no problems in the past with other generic name drugs from India.

Thanks,

Caroline
    seronegative arthritis since 12/07 – moderately severe
    minosin/ 2 weeks prednisone/ occupational therapy, laser phototherapy
    vegan

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=253]caroline[/user] wrote:

Wyeth sold out to Triax & my attempted communication with Triax was
    not fruitful. Wyeth told me the brand name is no longer available & that
    only generics are now used.

Hi Caroline,

Check out this discussion thread, particularly the very interesting and detailed post by FastSpin on the history of Minocin, which is a little lower down the page. I think it might answer all your questions. 😀

http://www.rbfbb.org/view_topic.php?id=336&forum_id=1&highlight=brand+minocycline+reputable

Wyeth Minocin is definitely still available, but it is extortionately expensive now that Triax is selling it in its zit packs for kids. Many here buy their Wyeth brand name from Canada, which is produced there under the name Stiefel. The irony is that it is exactly the same as Triax brand name Minocin (just a different colored capsule – purple and orange) and a fraction of the cost.

I've been buying my Stiefel brand Minocin from the online Canadia pharmacy:

http://www.buylowdrugs.com 

Last month, my Minocin arrived 10 days after my FAXed order in a sealed container of 100 caps 100mg Stiefel brand Minocin for a cost of $136.00 (incl postage and packing). As I only take 6 caps a week that's a little over 4 months supply. The border patrol sometimes affixes a little red sticker saying it doesn't approve of the import of foreign drugs. I've only heard of one case of Minocin being seized by the border patrol, but this was replaced immediately by buylowdrugs with no problem.

The reason I chose brand over generic was because I didn't want to take a wait-and-see approach to my RA. Although many seem to do well on generics, some report that they don't and notice a distinct difference in effectiveness…and may actually be allergic to the “inactive ingredients.” Preferring not to mess around with waiting to see if the generic would work for me, I chose the Canadian Stiefel brand. I figure I might spend that much on a new outfit, so why not my my health? 😉 

There is also some valuable information on the main RBF website discussing the difference between generics and brands that is worth reading.

Hope this helps!

Peace, Maz 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘ Minocin from Wyeth Labs unavailable’ is closed to new replies.