Home Forums General Discussion mino and antacids

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    sandy
    Participant

Hi, does anyone know if prevacid or the more generic name of lansoprazole can be taken WITH mino?

I've read that mino and antacids should not be taken together and wonder if this prevacid, often given for hpylori is an antacid.

If anyone can contact me regarding hyplori experiences, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

amyid
    Participant

Hi,

I have taken prevacid and currently take Prilosec otc for Acid reflux.  You can take it the same day you take mino, BUT you must take them apart from each other.  The Prevacid is a (PPI) Proton Pump Inhibitor, and my pharmacist said it is safest to just take the Prevacid at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after mino to ensure the mino is absorbed and doesn't bind to the PPI. 

This is just the advice I have been given.  You should ask your pharmacist their opinion.

All the best,

Amy

DX Rheumatoid Arthritis- 3/2008, Began AP 8/2008-continued various forms of AP through present. It's long and complicated- have a question re: my protocol, just ask 🙂

sandy
    Participant

Thanks for your reply Amy. I just called the pharmacy and they also said take the mino from 2-4 hours apart from the prevacid.

Jo
    Participant

[user=163]sandy[/user] wrote:

Hi, does anyone know if prevacid or the more generic name of lansoprazole can be taken WITH mino?

I've read that mino and antacids should not be taken together and wonder if this prevacid, often given for hpylori is an antacid.

If anyone can contact me regarding hyplori experiences, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Antacids are not taken because most of them have Calcium, Magnesium or other mineral that bond with the Tetracyclines in the stomach, and make it ineffective.

If this medication does not have minerals in it, then you only have to check for drug interactions, as you would when ever you are taking more than one medication.

If it does have minerals, then all that is usually required is to seperate them by enough time for each to be digested so they do not cross in the stomach.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘ mino and antacids’ is closed to new replies.