Home Forums General Discussion methotrexate and relafan

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    1-2-b-healthyagain
    Participant

Hi.  I have stopped taking my methotrexate and relafan 3 weeks ago cold turkey.  I am very achy, but no swelling yet.  Currently researching this site for answers and reading the arthritis breakthrough book.  Will be making appt with a doc who will get me started with the AP.  I have 2 questions:

First, should I have stopped taking my meds.  I have been reading that the antibiotics work better when there is less inflammation.  I'm worried I will start to swell and the AP won't work as well by the time I would get started.

Second, I was going to try to have lab work done to test for the mycoplasma…but I don't know if that is going to happen now.  Concerned that I don't know for sure if I have this mycoplasma…so… should I continue with the AP doc and protocol if I don't have any definite answer regarding the mycoplasma?

My mind is in a whirl wind right now because I am on information overload and sometimes all of this gets a little overwhelming and confusing to me. :doh: Please bear with me while I try to understand all of this.  Thanks to all!!

Jo
    Participant
    1-2-b-healthyagain
    Participant

JO-Thank you.  Lots of info!  What brand of MSM are you taking? The MSM, GSE and probiotics are all OTC supplements right?

tbird2340
    Participant

The MSM I use is from Puritan's Pride: https://www.puritan.com/joint-support-062/msm-1500-mg-tablets-011732

I believe it's also the one Jo's husband uses..

I'm up to 11 caps per day (16,500mg) but haven't felt any changes either way yet.. Jo (the MSM expert) said her husband didn't see changes until I believe around 26,500mg per day so I still have hope it will work for me..

As far as the mycoplasma test.. If you go to Dr. T in Parma you can ask her about it.. If you feel you must get it to put your mind at ease she may very well write you a script.. If you feel you must have a positive test for that before starting the AP then just get the script for the Mino from her and also the script for the mycoplasma test. You don't have to fill the mino until you get the test back if that's what you want to do..

As far as the swelling / inflammation.. That's a good question and I read that as well (that AP doesn't work as good if you have a lot of inflammation).. My right index finger is very swollen and has been for almost two years.. I think today it was actually more swollen then it has been. I'm not sure if that's because I've taken my first two Minocin this week or if I'm just imagining things..

The MSM is supposed to help with inflammation but I've read that some people stay on NSAIDS for a while to get / keep inflammation down for AP to really work.. I'm not sure if the inflammation has to be visible or if it's possible to have inflammation that isn't visible (if that makes sense)..

For example, parts of my back / ribs hurt from time to time.. Does that mean they are inflammed or what?

Such a confusing disease! 😕

1-2-b-healthyagain
    Participant

Hi tbird!!  Thanks for info! 

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

1-2-B,

Regarding the mycoplasma testing:

Like Lyme testing, there are many false negatives. Also, there are aound 200 known mycoplasmas, the standard tests test for 4 – 6. A positive mycoplasma test can be helpful for insurance coverage og AP and/or IV therapy, but I would not make whether or not you choose the AP therapy dependent on a the mycoplasma test. Jess had the PCR Mycoplasma testng done before starting AP. Completely negative. She started AP and fully recovered, then after 2+ years on Minocin, the mycoplasma tests were run again, that time= positive for both past and current infection. Go figure, but the results are undeniable, all scleroderma symptoms have improved or vanished.

The fact is, we all have our own opinions about why AP works, but the mechanism of action has not been determined, BUT, AP has been PROVEN SAFE AND EFFECTIVE! Tthat is the bottom line, it works.

Good luck!

Cheryl F.

1-2-b-healthyagain
    Participant

Cheryl F-Thanks!
    That makes me feel better about not having the test done.  You are  right…as long as AP works is all that really matters anyways!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘ methotrexate and relafan’ is closed to new replies.