Home Forums General Discussion Mayo

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Meredith
    Participant

I'm wondering if anyone has any feedback about experiences at Mayo Clinic in Minnesota with their Rheumatology dept.  Although I am still planning to see Dr. F in LA in the end of July, I have been considering taking a little road trip from WI out to Mayo. I have time this summer and have a different health issue (unrelated) for which I'd like to get an opinion. 

pam
    Participant

I went there several years ago. It is an amazing place. The diagonistic testing was excellent. The Dr I saw was very traditional and does NOT believe in AP. He was quite vocal about the so called dangers of it! He prescribed plaquenil for my SD.

Interestingly, he did advise against the high cost injectable drugs that destroy the immune sysyem.

Marie
    Participant

I went to the Mayo-Jacksonville rheum dept and saw one rheum there.  I didn't know about AP at the time.  He seemed pretty traditional and put me on methotrexate, and, if methotrexate didn't work, he would have put me on plaquenil.  He was also impressed w/ the injectables.  He was very nice, though.

During one appointment I brought up that I had a twisted ankle.  He didn't say anything.  I then said that I intended to receive prolotherapy, injecting sugar water into injured areas to promote healing, on the ankle.  Only after I brought it up did he say that one of his Mayo cohorts was working on a prolotherapy protocol.  (The prolotherapy worked, btw! :))

If you're going to Mayo anyway, it wouldn't hurt to pass by their rheum department.  But if it were a special trip, I'd save my $ for the trip to Dr. F.  My (admittedly limited) experience w/ Mayo rheumatology left me with the impression of reliance on the Mayo “name” rather than true innovation.            

isobelle44
    Participant

Hi Merideth, i go to Mayo in MN regularly.  I love my dermatologist there, she is amazing.  I did meet with a rheumatologist there but havent had a whole lot to do with him, so i couldnt give an honest report.  It is an amazing place.  And i feel im getting really good care there so far.  Im also from Wisconsin, Janesville area and make the trip usually every 4 months.  Where are you located in Wisconsin, can i ask.  Sharon

Meredith
    Participant

Milwaukee.  It's a bit of a drive, but worth it if it'll help. Thanks for your input.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘ Mayo’ is closed to new replies.