Home Forums General Discussion Lyme neck crack

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    hopefull
    Participant

Hi all,My sister is a week into IV Doxy for LD.The other day she complained to me
    about a stiff painful neck with limited range of motion.
    I was reading a thread where “lyme neck crack” was mentioned…What is it?
    Hope I can give her some input.Thanks,Kathy

RA dx'd 2001
    cimzia,prednisone
    considering AP again …

Parisa
    Participant

Hopeful,

I've heard of crackling in the neck of Lyme patients but not much more than that.  You might get more answers (due to a larger pool of people) from Lymenet.  http://www.lymenet.com

nspiker
    Participant

Lymeneck to me is when it cracks and crackles when you try and move it, kind of like creaking joints.  Also, when I try and put my head back, chin in the air, there's limited range of motion and flexibility.  Sometimes, it's hard to turn my head too far to to the side, before switching lanes when driving, almost like a stiff neck. 

I don't know specifically what causes it, but it must be inflammation.  I have noticed that head pressure and ear popping frequently accompany a stiff neck, and abate when inflammation is reduced.  Mucinex helps a lot.

nancy

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=110]hopefull[/user] wrote:

My sister is a week into IV Doxy for LD.The other day she complained to me
    about a stiff painful neck with limited range of motion.
    I was reading a thread where “lyme neck crack” was mentioned…What is it?

Hi Hopefull,

If you go to the following Dr B link and scroll down to The Symptom Checklist, #23 lists “Neck creeks and cracks, neck stiffness, pain,” as symptoms of Lyme disease.

http://www2.lymenet.org/domino/file.nsf/UID/guidelines

The stiff neck was one of my earliest symptoms, so bad I couldn't turn my head at all to drive coming back from a wedding in Cape Cod where I began to have flu-like symptoms with swollen glands and my husband had to take the wheel. By this time, I also had two EM rashes, which was the only indication I knew at the time that pointed to Lyme, because I really thought I had some weird flu or had slept awkwardly on the hotel pillow.

As far as I know, it is a part of the whole Lyme meningitis symptom complex and a classic sign of Lyme, but can also be mistaken for other types of meningitis, when serious enough.

Fortunately, when I began treatment for Lyme, it was one of the first symptoms to resolve. I've also had creeking and cracking of all my joints as inflammation as begun to dissipate. Sounds so loud sometimes that it's like a twanging noise. This has happened in all my joints, as they've improved, and then suddenly disappears. I do still get the snap, crackle and pop in my neck when turning it, but it's painless now, and I'm told harmless…just gases escaping.  

If your sister's neck pain persists long after IVs, she may want to look into coinfections of Lyme and separate treatment for those, too. How is she doing, Hopefull? Has she experienced any herxing yet?

Hope that helps a bit? 

Peace, Maz

Velouria138
    Participant
    Roz
    Participant

Hi,

I used to say my neck used to snap, crackle and pop.

I agree with all the above.

The longer I am in lyme treatment the less the cracks in the necks. It's mostly just in the morning now.

Much Love, Roz

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

I have had a problem with a stiff and cracking neck for many years. I get osteopathic treatment for it every few months and try to keep up with some stretching exercises in between. Funnily, it started about the same time I started to get the first Palindromic symptoms over 20 years ago. Never connected it until a couple of years ago when the Lyme-word was first introduced as a possibility. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘ Lyme neck crack’ is closed to new replies.