Home Forums General Discussion Low Low Dose Doxy

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jaminhealth
    Participant

I deal with OA, some FM and chronic myofascial pain.  Most OA in knees and lower back L5 and have been told AS in lower back.  Burning and lots of stiffness. 

No RA to the best of my knowledge.

I take high doses of MSM.

I took doxy 100 mg MWF a few years ago and had a clump of hair come out of my head….thought it was the doxy so I stopped.

I believe one of the posters said why not take 25 mg of doxy a couple days a week.  Would this benefit me.  My doc I believe will work with me as I've mentioned doxy to her.  She's an integrative doc and open to most everything I bring to her for consideration.

I just can't bring myself to the higher low dose again.  Thanks everyone.  jam 

Does doxy even come in a 25 mg cap?   

Noel
    Participant

Doxycycline, the antibiotic binds to plasma proteins which interfere with the ability of mycoplasma and/or bacteria to feed from these proteins and causes them to die off as a result, because they can no longer convert the protein to glucose.

My two cents worth is that I think it very unlikely to have been the cause of the hair loss you experienced.

Hair loss is not documented to be one of the side effects and I've never seen anyone else post as such.

To answer your question, I would think that a low daily dose would be better than none, but check with your doctor if you?re taking other meds.

Jan Lucinda
    Participant

It might help.  I think doxy comes in 50mg and you can divide it if you want just 25mg.  I know someone who did that with minocycline.

Good luck

richie
    Participant

Hi

There is a point where one takes less than a therapeutic dose —it is difficult to determine that level but 25 mg a couple of times a week sure sounds like it !!

richie

Jan Lucinda
    Participant

Isn't what is a therapeutic dose individual since people respond differently to the antibiotics?  As I remember, the doctors protocol said some people start with as little as 25mg in less than a week.  I think that is what I read.

Randy
    Participant

Months before I was Dx'd with SD, when I was first having my “undifferentiated polyarthritis” symptoms, I started taking 50mg 2X/day Doxy.  My fingertip problems got better very quickly and I (now that I can look back at it) was pretty stable … until my idiot Rheumy #1 directed me to stop taking the antibiotic.  Within 6 wks my SD came roaring in and my new symptoms were plenty enough to Dx me with SD. 

The moral of the story is that according to my AP Docs, it is very well possible that my SD could have been “de-railed” if I could have continued “AP” instead of stopping at that time.  So, in my case the low low dose of Doxy seemed to have a vey positive effect, granted not the real AP protocol I'm currently on.

Randy

Diffuse SD since Apr '07
    AP since Feb '08
    100mg Mino twice daily
    Stopped Clindamycin IVs Aug 2019
    "No one should profit over someone else's illness"

richie
    Participant

Hi

I think you will find it isnt that low —

richie

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=677]Jan Lucinda[/user] wrote:

Isn't what is a therapeutic dose individual since people respond differently to the antibiotics?  As I remember, the doctors protocol said some people start with as little as 25mg in less than a week.  I think that is what I read.

Jan, there is info in The New Arthritis Breakthrough to this effect, although Dr Brown eventually changed his protocol to induce a herx and then treat with
    “symptomatic remedies.” There may have been matter of practicality for doing it this way at the Arthritis Institute, because patients were only staying there for limited times and were probably best cared for while under Dr Brown's supervision. Very much an assumption on my my part, but there may have been other reasons, too. Here is the relevant bit in the book, on page 266 (near bottom of page):

“The only acceptible excuse for liberating antigen in a rheumatoid arthritic is to kill its source.

To that end, we start off a typical patient with tetracycline three times a week, usually on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. The drug is not manufactured in units less that 250mg, although at one time I had it made up in 10mg amounts and gradually increased it to avoid the herxheimer reaction. Nowadays we start off with the 250mg , letting the herxheimer effect occur and then treating it with symptomatic remedies.”

250mg tetracycline is essentially the equivalent of 100mg doxy or mino, so he was titrating doses to very small amounts to avoid herxes and hypersensitivity, but later changed this view. There is more on this at the end of the Dr Brown video where he talks about titration of dose, too. In some cases, it is necessary for highly sensitized rheumatics to revert to Dr Brown's original low dose titrations and gradually build up to a well-tolerated dose in order to avoid intolerable herxing. Many of us have to travel some distance to our docs and need to function in daily life, so this would come into this sort of equation.

Jamin is considering using doxy for osteoarthritis, which isn't an inflammatory rheumatic condition, but a process of wear and tear and to which some are more genetically or environmentally predisposed than others. Studies have shown doxy to have some cartilage and bone protective properties in osteoarthritis. As such, someone with osteoarthritis would not expect to suffer from a herx or hypersensitivity reaction unless there is some overlapping inflammatory condition and dosing considerations wouldn't be as much of a concern. If memory serves, Jamin tolerated doxy well before, but stopped as she attributed hair loss to the doxy.

I would think that the best bet to recieve any type of protective properties from doxy for osteoarthritis that looking at the original studies and doses used would be a valuable resource in this context. Amounts used may directly correlate to improvement in condition and smaller amounts may have little or no perceived effect. The other side of the coin is that perhaps something is better than nothing, but this would best be discussed with a physician knowledgable in using doxy for osteo.

Peace, Maz

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘ Low Low Dose Doxy’ is closed to new replies.