Home Forums General Discussion Low Iron

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Mumof3
    Participant

Anyone else have low iron while on AP? Is it caused by the disease itself or the antibiotics? Anyone have any pointers. I had low iron in my last pregnancy and was put on iron supplements which will probably be what my Dr. wants to do again this time.

I guess this explains the fatigue. That and the fact that I recently found out I had a low WBC and my thyroid is off.

Lizz
    Participant

Hi Mum, did the doctor tell you you're anemic? If so, welcome to the unexplained anemia club! I went anemic about 14 months ago, during a period of intense herxing, but my opinion is that it is caused by the disease. Others hopefully will give their opinions. I have been on iron since last May and it's not working very well, hopefully your body can absorb it. Alot of people with anemia don't have the fatigue factor like you do, but I know how go-go your life must be with the children. Anemia can also be a symptom of lymes. I hope we all get to the bottom of it soon!

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Mum;
         How are you doing kid.It's been a while since hearing from you.Anyway,it is the disease that causes low iron,just like it causes low D25 and B vitamins.If I remember correctly A Friend posted a fair bit of info on this.Try using the “search” on top of the page

Kim
    Participant

Hey Mum,

Like you, I have the SD/Lyme combo and am always low iron and could sure use more energy.  It's not just iron I'm low on so I think it's more of an absorption issue.

You might want to ask your doctor about Creon (prescription) to take before meals to help with absorption.  I've been taking it and think it's helping, but don't have a recent blood test to confirm.

Take care…..kim

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi Mum and everyone. There is sometimes speculation that AP may be a cause of low iron or anemia. In fact, it is a symptom of rheumatoid diseases. Here is a post regarding this from November last year:

<span style="color: #0000ff]Chris – it sounds as if there is some concern that AP may be causing the low iron count or anemia. In fact this is a frequent additional physical problem that manifests in rheumatoid diseases. It's documented in 'The New Arthritis Breakthrough' – pages 144 and 159. Often it does not resolve with B12, iron or folic acid supplementation. In Pat Ganger and Carol Lange's book  'Solving the Puzzling Problem of Arthritis' it states [/color”>'The damaged bone marrow is why arthritics are anemic and do not respond to iron, ,liver or B12 and other things to build up their blood………………But if you treat the infectious component that is the trouble behind all this with antibiotics, the bone marrow will recover and the hemaglobin will rise' (page 144).                    http://www.rbfbb.org/view_topic.php?id=3346&forum_id=1&highlight=anemia 

[/color] If you type 'anemia' into the search function above, there is lots of useful past discussion on this. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Trudi
    Participant

[user=30]lynnie_sydney[/user] wrote:

…………But if you treat the infectious component that is the trouble behind all this with antibiotics, the bone marrow will recover and the hemaglobin will rise'

That has been my experience.  My latest blood work finally shows my hemoglobin and hematocrit in the normal range (I was anemic for at least 3 years).  I've got a lot of infection yet to treat, but it does seem that even in the lowering of the bacterial load (not eradication) allows the body to start healing.

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Parisa
    Participant

For my husband, treating babesia was the key to turning the anemia around.  Actually all of his bloodwork was out of whack with some things high, eosinophils, and some things low, red blood cells.  His blood work has all come back in the normal range for the past eight months or so now. 

Mumof3
    Participant

[user=31]Lynne G./SD[/user] wrote:

Hi Mum;

Mumof3
    Participant

Thanks everyone for the responses. I will search the Board for previous posts and try and dig up some more info. By the sounds of it, it is disease related. I did have low iron when I was pregnant and got sick shortly after I had my daughter. I wonder if my iron ever did get back to normal. I don't know what my levels are or if I am in fact anemic. I see the doctor a week on Friday and they tell me its not urgent. My assumption is that it's a bit low. When I see my doctor, I will talk to her about Creon for absorption as Kim suggested.

Thanks again for everyones input!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘ Low Iron’ is closed to new replies.