Home Forums General Discussion Low firbrinogen antigen

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    froggy
    Participant

I just received my bloodwork and I am concerned about my fibrinogen levels.  The serum was a little low 177 and range is 193-400.  The fibrinogen antigen level was 138 with normal being 190.  I read on the internet that this could be due to liver disease.  Nothing else is off though.  Does anyone know anything about this?

Maz
    Keymaster

Froggy, just a few thoughts that came to mind…are you taking any fibrolytic digestic enzymes, like nattokinase or serrapeptase? Some people take these digestive enzymes to help reduce inflammation and thin sticky blood, which is common in inflammatory conditions. Or, are you taking any aspirin or anything else that might be causing blood thinning? Could you be low in Vit K?

Peace, Maz

froggy
    Participant

Maz,

I don't take any of the enzymes you listed.  I guess I could be low in K.  Not sure what you get that from.  I don't take asprin or anything like that.  Only advil here and there!!

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=351]froggy[/user] wrote:

I don't take any of the enzymes you listed.  I guess I could be low in K.  Not sure what you get that from.  I don't take asprin or anything like that.  Only advil here and there!!

Hi Froggy,

This might be something to discuss with your doc…maybe get a Vit K test before attemtping to supplement, as well as any other tests he/she thinks relevant to figure this out.

One thing that may be worthy of note is that minocycline is now being used in a hospital setting within hours after a stroke for its neuro-protective capabilities (i.e. protects brain from oxygen starvation after a stroke) and has been improving outcomes in patients quite significantly. What I am wondering is if minocycline may have some effect on fibrinogen and blood-clotting, too, in light of its benefits for stroke outcomes.  

If you read up on drug interactions with minocycline, it's not advisable to take blood thinners concommitantly. Why? Maybe something you could bring up with your doc? Lots of articles online about the great benefits of mino on stroke which has been studied quite extensively in recent years.

http://www.revolutionhealth.com/blogs/olajidewilliamsmd/breaking-news-antibi-7912

This may be a dead-end thought of mine, Froggy, but sometimes I can't help following dots….that's why I get bit a dotty sometimes!  :roll-laugh:

Hope you get to the bottom of this soon or that someone else here will come up with some suggestions for you that may help!

Peace, Maz

froggy
    Participant

thanks again, Maz,

It does seem to make sense.  I know I have always been a bleeder.  Thatb I remember from when I was young.  Nothing diagnosed or terrible, but sometimes it was harder to get it stopped than it should have been.  This is the first test they did the antigen seperate so I have nothing to compare it to.  On all the others they have just taken the serum level.  Once it was 197 and 193 is the low level and the rest of the times it has been in the 170's and 193 is the low level.  Like I said the only thing I am really concerned about is all the articles I have read have pointed to liver disease, however, I would think something else would be off too besides just my fibrinogen.  Who knows though!

Froggy

RA

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=351]froggy[/user] wrote:

Like I said the only thing I am really concerned about is all the articles I have read have pointed to liver disease, however, I would think something else would be off too besides just my fibrinogen.  Who knows though!

Hi Froggy,

Yeah, it can be frightening reading about all the possibilities online…”a little knowledge” and all that. 😉

I would think if the doc who ordered this bloodwork has any concerns about this number, he/she will do some follow-up bloodwork for you now you have this baseline. If it's overlooked, though, you might just want to ask the doc about this to put your mind at rest.

Peace, Maz

A Friend
    Participant

[user=27]Maz[/user] wrote:

Froggy, just a few thoughts that came to mind…are you taking any fibrolytic digestic enzymes, like nattokinase or serrapeptase? Some people take these digestive enzymes to help reduce inflammation and thin sticky blood, which is common in inflammatory conditions. Or, are you taking any aspirin or anything else that might be causing blood thinning? Could you be low in Vit K?

Peace, Maz

Froggy, Maz,

Maz's bringing Vit K to your attention can be a good thing — to rule it in OR rule it out (I'm guessing it could be a problem; what dosage of abx are you taking?  I believe your profile shows you've taken abx since 2008 sometime).  When we are on antibiotics for a time, it can not only wipe out our good flora that make B vitamins, it can also affect our Vit K levels, and Vit K is VERY important.  Apparently, it did affect my own case a year or so ago, because I woke up with severe nosebleed and had to go to the ER.  This went on for constantly for a week or more, until I found some articles and good sources to address this problem… I believe Vit K was probably key. 

This is the link to a post of mine on this subject, in which I pasted numerous links:

http://www.rbfbb.org/view_topic.php?id=2124&forum_id=1&highlight=vitamin+K

Good luck to you,

AF

froggy
    Participant

Thanks for the links.  I am going to ask the Doc and see what he says.  Hopefully that will happen Tuesday.

I will check into the vit K.  COuld be an issue.  I have been on mino 100mg daily, diflucan 200mg on and off and 30 mg armour since June 08.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘ Low firbrinogen antigen’ is closed to new replies.