Home Forums General Discussion Low Dose Naltrexone

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    Eva Holloway
    Participant

Seen an article on one of the channels about not getting enough sleep. It can cause some severe problems, including muscle weakness and other health issues.

I think most of us have the issue of not enough sleep or waking up during the night and then not able to go back to sleep again. I noticed I have more energy since I have started LDN  (8 months) and I am finally getting things done around the house that should have been done eons ago. Have more stamina, now I am back to physical therapy for upper body strenghtening. That is hard work. Usually I take a nap afterwards. Using my sauna again and I am able to sweat now, not much but I know I am sweating (haha).:roll-laugh:

Had company from Germany for 10 days, 6 of those days where not a voluntary stay due to the eruption of the volcano in Island. I did a lot of sightseeing with my guests and not much sauna. I did a lot of walking which is a good exercise too.:dude:

So all in all I think the LDN is very helpful, specially if there is not enough sleep or muscle weakness.

Eva:D

Eva Holloway

APbeliever
    Participant

Just wanted to update you all on LDN. I am taking 4.5 mgs every night with Melatonin (although it is not recommended for people with autoimmune diseases. Label on Melatonin is quite clear on not to use it if you have autoimmune disease). Noticed a lot of energy, no fatigue at all and no low grade fevers and chills anymore.  I kept getting comments earlier about Babesia whenever I posted about having low grade fevers and chills . But LDN has completely got rid of that so I believed it was due to RA not Babesia. Joint pains are still there but I am using L-glutamine and MSM along with Boswellia and lots of fish oil. I am satisfied with LDN for now. I have just two minutes of stiffness on my left hand when I wake up in the morning only on the days on Tue, Thur and Sun since I take Mino MWF.  Amazing isn't it that Mino keeps the stiffness away!!

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=1212]APbeliever[/user] wrote:

I kept getting comments earlier about Babesia whenever I posted about having low grade fevers and chills . But LDN has completely got rid of that so I believed it was due to RA not Babesia.

I have just two minutes of stiffness on my left hand when I wake up in the morning only on the days on Tue, Thur and Sun since I take Mino MWF.  Amazing isn't it that Mino keeps the stiffness away!!

Hi APB,

Great to hear you're doing so well on the mino/LDN mix! 😀

Btw, babesia is a waxing and waning febrile illness, like malaria, so it may come and go. You were on flagyl for a while, so if it was babs causing your fevers/chills, then this may have pushed it back. If it makes a return at some point, then you might want to look further into it, but great to hear you're doing okay for now!

Peace, Maz

APbeliever
    Participant

Before trying LDN, I tried Flagyl for two weeks every day and then 3 times a week with no LDN. The chills , fatigue and fever were still there with Flagyl. When I started LDN, it disappeared completely so I think it is due to RA and LDN use. I believe during colonoscopy endoscopy and stool tests they covered everything. They did find a parasite (name unknown) but after I started taking Minocycline, it went away as gastro kept checking with new stool tests to see if the parasite was still there. I believe that my three weeks of diarhea right before RA hit me were due to this parasite although gastro did not confirm this suspicion.  I have problems now with osteoporosis thanks to RA and steroid use. :headbang:

lor
    Participant

Hi,

How does or why does Flagyl push Babesia back?  I have not heard of this.  It might explain why I feel better the day after my Flagyl dose.  I take Augmetin and Bixin every day and flagyl every other day.  I am being treated for Lyme.

I have just upped my LDN to 4.5 mg on last Thursday, and had a couple of good dreams and I started sleeping better this weekend.  I felt real bad on Sun., all my joint felt inflamed. It only lasted 1/2 a day and then I felt better than before, so it must have been a herx?  I have been wondering if the LDN is somehow waking up babesia in me.  Since I started it I have the night sweats bad.  No fever, in fact when I take my temp. during a spell it is only about 95.  I go to see my Doc in 2 weeks, maybe he will be able to answer my questions.

It is encuraging to here how the LDN is working for others.  I do feel better overall.

lori 

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=2190]lor[/user] wrote:

How does or why does Flagyl push Babesia back?  I have not heard of this.  It might explain why I feel better the day after my Flagyl dose.  I take Augmetin and Bixin every day and flagyl every other day.  I am being treated for Lyme.

I have just upped my LDN to 4.5 mg on last Thursday, and had a couple of good dreams and I started sleeping better this weekend.  I felt real bad on Sun., all my joint felt inflamed. It only lasted 1/2 a day and then I felt better than before, so it must have been a herx?  I have been wondering if the LDN is somehow waking up babesia in me.  Since I started it I have the night sweats bad.  No fever, in fact when I take my temp. during a spell it is only about 95.  I go to see my Doc in 2 weeks, maybe he will be able to answer my questions.

Hi Lori,

Flagyl has anti-protozoal properties and is used in the treatment of babesia, a protozoal piroplasm, much like malaria, which waxes and wanes and causes fevers, chills, sweats, neurological probs, amongst other things:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metronidazole

It's possible the LDN isn't waking up the babesia, but that your immune system is waking up and better able to identify it in you! That's great news! As I understand it,  LDN boosts endorphins, which modulate and strengthen the immune system.

Short-lived herxes are pretty common with Lyme once treatment is underway. This isn't the same as initial worsening…because Lyme tends to be more vulnerable to abx at certain times during its life-cycle, so after initial herxing, the herxing tends to continue to come and go in spurts. Dr H in CA talks about this in a link recently posted, saying he's seen Lyme patients herxing for 18 months or longer.

So glad you're feeling better overall, Lor! Are you managing to use some detoxing strategies, too?

Peace, Maz

lor
    Participant

Thanks for the info, Maz.  I didn't realize Flagyl went after Babs.  Interesting.  I knew it had anti-porotozoal properties and knew babesia was a porotozoa, but just didn't put 2+2 together.

I have a rebounder, I drink alot of water with lemon, Milk Thissel and epsen salt soaks.  I keep trying to get my husband to build me a suna, some day.  So far so good.  I think we talked on the phone a while back.  Thank you, you gave me so much encuragement.

lori

Eva Holloway
    Participant

Maz,

I send you a interesting e-mail to your regular e-mail. It's from Dr. Mercolla and very interesting. No mentioning of antibiotics to help with Lyme.

Eva Holloway

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=236]Eva Holloway[/user] wrote:

I send you a interesting e-mail to your regular e-mail. It's from Dr. Mercolla and very interesting. No mentioning of antibiotics to help with Lyme.

Thanks, Eva, I'll check it out. 🙂

Lori, my pleasure and so glad the info was helpful to you.

Peace, Maz

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

[user=1552]nspiker[/user] wrote:

Mum, I just took my first dose of LDN this morning (instead of evening, to avoid insomnia and vivid dreams).  I am not feeling too good either; tired, little nauseated, grumpy, etc. 

Anyone else have side effects?  I'll see how it goes…

nancy

Nancy – I just noticed this post of yours when I was doing a little back reading on various threads. Are you still taking LDN during the day? My understanding is that LDN has to be taken between 9pm and 3 a.m. in order for it to have the beneficial effect on the immune system. Here are a few pertinent extracts from the LDN site:

The brief blockade of opioid receptors between 2 a.m. and 4 a.m. that is caused by taking LDN at bedtime each night is believed to produce a prolonged up-regulation of vital elements of the immune system by causing an increase in endorphin and enkephalin production.

In general, in people with diseases that are partially or largely triggered by a deficiency of endorphins (including cancer and autoimmune diseases), or are accelerated by a deficiency of endorphins (such as HIV/AIDS), restoration of the body's normal production of endorphins is the major therapeutic action of LDN.

The usual adult dosage is 4.5mg taken once daily at night. Because of the rhythms of the body's production of master hormones, LDN is best taken between 9pm and 3am. Most patients take it at bedtime.

http://www.lowdosenaltrexone.org/

Hope I'm not misunderstanding here or have missed something you later posted. Just concerned that you are getting every benefit possible from your regime, Nancy. Lynnie  

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

nspiker
    Participant

Hi Lynnie,

Thanks for checking up on me.  I did initially take it in the morning, as I was trying to avoid the vivid dreams and insomnia.  It kind of backfired on me, and the result was being very lethargic, tired and a little nauseous.

I have since started on my loading dose of 2 mg. and am taking it at night with no side effects at all.  Guess it's best to follow directions :roll-laugh:.

nancy

Cheryl V
    Participant

Thanks for mentioning your experience taking LDN earlier in the day Nancy. My daughter is only on 1.5 mg and stopped it after 3 days because of insommnia. I encourged her to try and take it earlier but from what you experienced, sounds like this is a definate no, no.

Cheryl

Eva Holloway
    Participant

Cheryl,

the insomnia goes away after about a week or so and then you sleep well. Tell your daughter to keep on taking it and it will benefit her once the LDN kicks in. I had read about the insomnia and was hesitant for amost a year to even start. Now I wish I had started when I learned about it. I would so much further ahead in my rehabilitation with the muscle weakness I have.

Eva Holloway

APbeliever
    Participant

I still have insomnia problems even after 5 weeks of use. I am using melatonin but the vivid and scary dreams and waking up five or six times is consistent with its use. If I drop the dosage, the pain comes roaring back so I have to use 4.5 mgs to get pain relief

nspiker
    Participant

Cheryl,

Some people have started it in the day, with no side effects.  Your daughter could give it a try…I was going to do that for a week, and then switch to evening.

Now that I think about it, LDN makes me sleepy, so it has the opposite effect of insomnia.  Maybe for those who get insomnia, taking it in the daytime might be ok for a week of loading.

nancy

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘ Low Dose Naltrexone’ is closed to new replies.