Home Forums General Discussion losing weight

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

hi all, just wondering if losing a stone in weight over about 8 wks, would be anything to worry about, seems like a lot to me as i have always struggled with my weight. its just since starting mino, and reducing mtx also am gluten free and dairy free now…kind regards di.

Valsmum
    Participant

I’ll just tell you my expereince,don’t know if it will help or not. I lost 10-15 lbs when I was diagnosed with RA, but after the inital loss, I did not loose any additional weight. Once in awhile, when I am having a flare-up I will loose a few pounds, mostly because I am being really careful about what I put in my mouth. Take care.
    Sheri
    p.s.Most people shed a few pounds when they cut out dairy and gluten.

thank you valsmum,i did lose weight when first diagnosed with r.a.then put it all back on and more when i started all the dmards , so it must be the gluten free and dairy free?thanks again ..kind regards di.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

its just since starting mino, and reducing mtx also am gluten free and dairy free now…kind regards di

Di – the clue is in your dietary changes I believe, most particularly gluten free. When I first went gluten and dairy free, I lost weight very quickly indeed – and a total of 13 kilos (28 pounds or two stone) altogether over just a few months. I have put back a couple of kilos now, but am happy with that. I think you may find, as I did, that you will become more comfortable with your dietary regime and that your weight stabilises over time. Just make sure you are getting sufficient carbohydrates in your diet. Note: Woolworths and Coles Supermarkets sell a sliced gluten and dairy-free bread in the bread section – it’s part of the Country Life range of breads and it’s the one with the light blue wrapper. In Sydney, it’s delivered Mon Wed and Fri – you can check with your local supermarkets. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

thank you lynnie, i will get some of that bread, i do eat a lot of rice cakes? i feel weak, especially like a muscle weakness, and loss of muscle tone? i do have a gluten free cereal and rice bran as well every day?. but will definately try the bread..regards ..di.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Di – sounds like you may not be getting sufficient complex carbs – an important source of energy. There are grains and pseudo-grains which are gluten-free (including corn) that would be worth getting acquainted with. This page from the whole foods site describes some of them and how they can be used. Lynnie
    http://www.wholefoodshouse.com.au/a-guide-to-grains-iii/

Be well! Lynnie

rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

hbell
    Participant

Hi Di, I found that I rapidly lost weight, about 10kg, in about 2 months after starting MTX. I have stabilized now. I try and stick to a gluten free diet, but very successfully, but I do watch what I eat. Oh, and the weight lost could be attributed to giving up alcohol since starting MTX – I forgot about that aspect:)

hi lynnie, i had a look at the site , very good, even before gluten free i wasnt eating correctly , i can see now. been shopping and got the bread and some other grains so will start today..would you know if minomycin(sigma) would cause burning when you pass a bowel motion? it has just started last night? been on the mino. a few wks now , only thing new is the milk thistle one every second day?.. thanks lynnie ..regards ..di… hi hbell, thanks for your reply, i seemed to put on weight with the mtx, i had opposite to you? thanks though regards ..di.

Dianne if you have had CFS so long it is also possible you might have leaky gut. Just a suggestion. I also had CFIDS. Had to take a pancreatic enzyme whenever I ate for years until it cleared up. You may not be absorbing. If this is the case liquid vitamins and minerals would help instead of tabs. It made a lot of difference to me taking them three times a day. You will gain strength. I really think a lot of this CFS is the body leached of absolutely everything because of lack of diagnosis sometimes for years. CFS is a very vague term actually is MCTD. Mixed connective tissue disorder. A naturopath would be able to tell you if they have a machine.

hi rosemary, not sure what leaky gut is but will look into that , and the liquid multi vits. i have to watch the folate content while on mtx though. i didnt see many that i could take? ..kind regards ..di.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

CFS is a very vague term actually is MCTD

Agree that CFS is a very vague term. However, I would be hesitant about any categorical statment about what it is, because I dont think we know for sure. There are many and varied opinions as to what CFS actually is – or is part of – including (but not limited to) Lyme Disease. There’s some info at the attached link. Lynnie

http://www.cfidsreport.com/Articles/What%20is%20CFIDS.htm

Be well! Lynnie

Diane I am very slight, very rarely eat bread at all. It is avoiding the starch and sugar that seems to keep the weight off. If you eat any bread even gluten free you still get the starch, so I chose to use rice instead to save my life virtually, not everyone is that rash. Still think it would be a good idea to check the absorption levels just in case or you are not getting the vital nutrients you need. Even with the normal blood tests saying levels were fine I found this not to be the case after attending a live blood analysis showing low levels of iron and B12.
    Diagnosed with CFS here in Aust. that was all, however had to go to the States for the correct diagnosis definitely had MCTD Lyme and Raynaud’s. Really think it is just a matter of where you are diagnosed if you can get one at all.

aynurrzepa
    Participant
    aynurrzepa
    Participant

Just to add, I too went off gluten free quite considerably although I do allow myself periods when I have it (if on duty trips or short holidays, or nothing else to eat). 90% of the time I’m gluten free. I don’t get any issues if I eat gluten, in fact I feel well. But I know it makes me gain weight. I had stubborn couple of kilos to loose after my pregnancies and I could not get rid of them untill I dramatically reduced my gluten intake. I now enjoy a helathy weight for my height and build and even allow myslef little treats still feeling fine and keeping slim.

I was very thin, almost anoerexic at the start of my decease and was so till age 11-12, when I started getting better, so I have also been in a place where the condition is causing the weight loss. Now it’s different – now it’s lack of carbs and especially gluten.

All the best

mschmidt
    Participant

I wanted to add my experience with weight loss as well. I have SD not RA but, even though my blood tests were all normal for years, I couldn’t keep weight on me during the flares of my disease process, and wasn’t absorbing minerals and vitamins properly. I’ve had a few doctors tell me that when you’re dealing with a chronic illness, the body will take what it needs, whether you give it to your body or not. It will tap into stores of vitamins and minerals in the bones, etc, even if you’re not absorbing stuff from your food. That made sense to me, and the only thing that actually made me gain back the 20 lbs I lost at the height of my disease was a very clean diet, and getting my disease process under control. It took me about a year to gain the weight back but, I’ve been stable at that weight for a year now. I’ve been gluten free for a while, and just started adding some raw dairy into my diet occasionally. I do notice that if I need to put on a few pounds, eating gluten free bread and pasta does the trick–that’s for sure.

Maria

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.