Home Forums General Discussion Looking For a Doctor

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Flash
    Participant

Hi.  I was given the name of a doc, by RBF,  in the Raleigh, NC area who practices AP but he has retired (darn it!!).  I've followed up on all leads given to me by his office, to no avail.  My next option is Charlotte, which is 3.5 hours one way.  I did contact Dr S's office in Charlotte, also given to me by RBF, but if I'm understanding them correctly, they are direct pay, they don't deal with insurances.  If anyone can recommend an AP doctor in the Raleigh area or Charlotte, or in between, that accepts BCBS, please advise. If there are more details than you can post, please e-mail me at webstercm@nc.rr.com.  I do have a call into BCBS, am waiting for their call back, to clarify certain things.  I am seeing a rheumatoligist for the 2nd time on Monday, and it will be the last time.  He says my jaw pain has nothing to do with RA, that it is a dental problem, and I believe him to be incorrect. He wishes to put me on Methotrexate, and that scares me.  I've started Mr. Scammell's book, need to get back to it. Thank you for any assistance you can offer.

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Flash,

Sorry you're having difficulty locating an AP doc. Do you have BC/BS with PPO? If so, you should be able to go to the physician of your choice, pay up front and then claim back what BC/BS will cover for the consult. I do this every time I see my doctor who also doesn't deal with insurance companies.

A good number of AP and Lyme docs don't deal with insurances, because they just prefer to fly under the radar and not get red-flagged by them as “overprescribing” antibiotics.

You could try sending a private message to Susan Lyme/RA as she sees a very good rheumy who uses AP and treats pretty holistically. She's very happy with her. I'm pretty sure Susan is down your way. 😉 

I had excruciating jaw pain, too, when I got Lyme, which triggered my RA. This resolved quite quickly once I started antibiotic therapy. Pretty much every joint was affected, but my upper body is now 95% and I'm just working on my knees and ankles, which are gradually catching up.

Hopfully you have PPO type insurance and this should resolve your problems. It's just a nuisance getting receipts and then making the claim, but they usually return payment quite quickly. 

Peace, Maz  

Flash
    Participant

Thank you Maz.  I appreciate the tips.  I had PHP insurance in Michigan, it has been a long time since I've had to deal with BC/BS.  Quite a difference between the two! 

Good luck with your RA, those knees can definitely become I problem, I discovered. I never knew there was anything that could attack every joint a person has at the same time.  But I'm a fighter, and I am going to win this battle.

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=830]Flash[/user] wrote:

Good luck with your RA, those knees can definitely become I problem, I discovered. I never knew there was anything that could attack every joint a person has at the same time.  But I'm a fighter, and I am going to win this battle.

Flash, thank you and I wish the same for you…I'm right there with you in this battle, along with everyone else here! We'll win and beat RD!

Peace, Maz

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘ Looking For a Doctor’ is closed to new replies.