Home Forums General Discussion Long term minocin side effects

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Nason
    Participant

HI,

I had been on minocin for 4 years administered by Dr. T in Boston.  About 9 months ago, I noticed what looked like bruise marks on my cheecks and around my mouth. also the same bluish marks were on sections of my legs.  I was told it was from long term use of minocin and was advised to cut the dose in half to 100mg per day down from 200mg.  After about 3 months my RA started to show signs of returning. I went to a different doctor and was given some homopathic supplements for the RA and Discoloration.   My RA has not gotten any worse in the past 6 months., but is still here.  My discoloration has almost gone.  My question is: I want to try pulsing with minocin and zithromax to prevent further discoloration in the future. I know if I go on the full dose of minocin it will happen again. Dr.T does not  pulse.  Has anyone else had this problem and had success with switching to pulsing? I would like to find another doctor, preferably here in New England, who would be willing to do this. Or can my local Naturalpath handle it?  Dr.T only asked how I felt and checked my bloodwork every 6 months. It seems like another doctor could easily do that. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=1470]Nason[/user] wrote:

Has anyone else had this problem and had success with switching to pulsing? I would like to find another doctor, preferably here in New England, who would be willing to do this. Or can my local Naturalpath handle it?  Dr.T only asked how I felt and checked my bloodwork every 6 months. It seems like another doctor could easily do that. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi Nason,

Welcome to the RBF support forum! 🙂

I'll send you a private message (PM) in a moment with a physician list for MA. You have a couple of good alternatives in your state. To retrieve your PM, just go to the top right of this page and click where it will say, “You have 1 new message.” It will take a few moments to put the list together for you.

As you've been on mino for that past 4 years, have you considered a temporary break from it to try a combo like doxy and zith? Around the 5 year mark, it's not unusual for a rotation to occur just to give the body a break.

http://roadback.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/education.display/display_id/131.html

“10. Does the drug need to be rotated? Antibiotic therapy is a long-term therapy, months and years in most, – even for a lifetime in some. After 5-6 years, a patient can become intolerant of an antibiotic. Rotating to another antibiotic even within the same drug class can keep response optimal and avoid plateaus.”

Also, under “Side Effects” at this link, you'll find some info on hyperpigmentation and the use of Vit C to help avert this:

https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=studies.display&display_id=183

“The most frequent long-term side effect usually encountered after prolonged administration is minocycline-induced hyperpigmentation. Most often the skin at either sun-exposed or non-exposed sites may develop patchy or generalized darkening. Any area of the body can be involved. Characteristically it has a slate-like hue. The gums, teeth or even the conjunctiva of the eyes can also darken. The problem, with the exception of the teeth, appears reversible with drug discontinuation and the passage of time. Since the hyperpigmentation is purely cosmetic in nature, some patients choose to stay on minocycline due to its beneficial effects on their RA. In an animal model of minocycline-induced hyperpigmentation, high dose vitamin C therapy improved the state for some. Decreased sun exposure can help the problem, at least in part.”

Glad you found us and hope you'll hang around so we can get to know you better and learn something from your journey to date!

Peace, Maz

Bobbie
    Participant

Nason,
    Was on Minocin about 8 years before I started noticing blueness on my face. Dr. S. in Ida Grove put me on Doxycycline last fall and thought that the blueness would go away, but I still have it. Wish that I could go back on the Minocin for my RA as the doxy does not do the job for me, but am afraid that I would end up looking worse than I do now. Am considering laser treatments if the discoloration does not do away by the fall. Would love to know what supplements you took to help this condition.
    Bobbie

Kim
    Participant

Hey Nason, and welcome to the Roadback forum.  Sending you best wishes for coming up with the right combo to get back on track.

kim

[user=1470]Nason[/user] wrote:

HI,

I had been on minocin for 4 years administered by Dr. T in Boston.  About 9 months ago, I noticed what looked like bruise marks on my cheecks and around my mouth. also the same bluish marks were on sections of my legs.  I was told it was from long term use of minocin and was advised to cut the dose in half to 100mg per day down from 200mg.  After about 3 months my RA started to show signs of returning. I went to a different doctor and was given some homopathic supplements for the RA and Discoloration.   My RA has not gotten any worse in the past 6 months., but is still here.  My discoloration has almost gone.  My question is: I want to try pulsing with minocin and zithromax to prevent further discoloration in the future. I know if I go on the full dose of minocin it will happen again. Dr.T does not  pulse.  Has anyone else had this problem and had success with switching to pulsing? I would like to find another doctor, preferably here in New England, who would be willing to do this. Or can my local Naturalpath handle it?  Dr.T only asked how I felt and checked my bloodwork every 6 months. It seems like another doctor could easily do that. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Nason I have the same problem which is extremely bad on my face and neck, however I cannot do without the mino at this stage I was considering asking to try the Doxy one day and the Mino the next as I am on daily dosing of 200mg..  I did try to change to Doxy to get rid of it but slipped down too far and had to go back on the mino, so at the moment I am just putting up with it and using a makeup from Estee Lauder which covers well. Notice someone has tried the Doxy change and that did not get rid of it.  At the moment IV Vit C is out of the question and I do not think the tablets would suffice it is pretty bad.  I prefer to be on my feet and feeling o.k. at this point. It is not unusual from all accounts.

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Nason;
         I have been on antibiotics for over 10 years.I did have the blue marks mostly on my legs and after changing antibiotics and dosage the marks went away and I went into remission. 200mg.mino a day did not work for me.Take a look at the line below my post to see what I am using….most of the time.   Lynne

Nason
    Participant

Hi, i am not to familiar with the use of this site so I hope I am getting through.  To get rid of the discoloration on my face and legs, I have been off minocin for 6 months. I have been taking 3000mg of Vit C and a dietary supplement called “Allimed” which is a natural antibiotic made from a garlic based Allicin powder.  If you google allicin or allimed you will find info. My naturalpath treats Lyme disease and this is the antibiotic of choice. He has cured many people of Lyme, including himself and my daughter using this form of natural antibiotic.  Since Lyme and RA  both have bacterial causes we decided to try it on me at least long enough to get rid of the discoloration.  I have been taking it for 6 months and my RA definitely has not gotten any worse. However, I do want to go back on minocin as this worked great on me for my RA.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘ Long term minocin side effects’ is closed to new replies.