Home Forums General Discussion Levaquin

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Participant

I heard something about levaquin helping RA. Does anyone have any experience good or bad with this? I've had RA for about 4 years and have been on minocycline for about 6 months. It has helped but I would love something to knock this out:).

Thanks!

linda
    Participant

Hi Lane,

I don't have any personal experience, but KeyPounds does. You might try e-mailing her. I think she had a pretty good herx reaction, but it didn't last long. It does have a tendency to have more side effects than some other abx, I believe. Best wishes,

linda

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

I have heard of several people who have taken levaquin as part of their AP protocol. I don't believe that it would be intended for long term use like minocin. One long term (23+ years) AP patient with RA told me that when she took levaquin recently (not as a part of her AP protocol) she experienced a significant herx.

Cheryl F.

Todd WI
    Participant

I was prescribed a 10 day dose of levaquin last year.  It was before I started AP and was prescribed for an infection that wasn?t related (or was it?) to my PsA.  About a week into the levaquin I was the recipient of some nasty tendonitis in a both a knee and an Achilles tendon.  It was really bad, I couldn't put any weight on the leg and couldn't sleep at night until my GP prescibed oxycodone for the pain.  It guess it could have been a herx, but I suspect it was just a side-effect of the levaquin. 

My AP doc was not at all surprised when I told him about my reaction to the levaquin, in fact, he flinched when I said ?levaquin?.  He indicated that the side effects of it can be rough, and he asked me if my GP had informed me of them.  My GP hadn?t mentioned any side effects.

FWIW
    Todd

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

[user=67]Todd WI[/user] wrote:

he flinched when I said ?levaquin

I had the occasion to speak with an experienced AP doctor this past week, and when I told her that some of the AP doctors were using Levaquin she seemed to “Flinch” too.  It was a telephone conversation, but as much as you can hear a “flinch” that is what I heard.  This is a doctor who is FULLY supportive of AP.  It is very strong medicine and should not be undertaken lightly.

Cheryl

DragonSlayer
    Participant

Hi, Lane:

I have used Levaquin for AS and it is a very good agent, albeit as others have mentioned, it is not something to stay on for very long for the side effects; I had Achilles tendon issues, and a probable Herx, but that was in the early days of my roadback.

From information provided by Ebringer, et al (Kings College, London), I believe that this is a much better drug to treat RA–but I say that with no positive feedback and no direct experience.  Ebringer and his team are absolutely right about AS, and they worked to differentiate AS from RA in the earliest stages, so had to identify the responsible pathogen.  Here is one paper in PDF:   http%;”> RA and Proteus.  I have other supporting documentation, for you and anyone else interested; requires email since these papers cannot be sent via PM.

I would think that Cipro is just as effective, and I have used this and Maxaquin, also.

Good luck with it,
    John
    [/size][/font][/color]

casey
    Participant

I have used levaquin and did well on it but not all do and i have heard of problems using it.

casey

Anonymous
    Participant

Casey,

Can you elaborate a little more, how long were you on it, did it help etc. etc.  many thanks cheryl

casey
    Participant

Hi Cheryl,

When i was first diagnosed with MCTD, i started with low dose doxy 50 mg MWF. A few weeks into that , i got the worst kidney infection with blood and protien etc in my urinalysis.  this went on for months. ( my mom has lupus with 40 % kidney function by the time diagnosed) This scared me so finally, i talked to Garth Nicolson http://www.immed.org and he sent me his “treatment considerations” . The floroquinolones were on it . They are bacterialcidal, not bacteriostatic. At this time i did not have a AP doc.I went on it for 3 weeks in Oct and the blood and protien cleared (and my rashes and hives) became less but i still showed not normal things. After that i upped my doxy and added zith , which i had done before the levaquin but i just couldnt get fully rid of the problem. My AP doc suggested levaquin for a month since i did so well on it before. So the month of Jan , i took 500mg /day . The rashes and hives were fewer but still present but not near as bad. When i went off this i switched back to doxy and oral clindy and another abx to get at the bladder. All my urine tests are now normal .I went a yr with something showing many many times in every test.

My AP doc did suggest i stay on it and rotate it monthly but i was concerned about being on it long term though if i come to a dead end , i will definitely use it again.

Something done something and i was lucky that i didnt and have not had tendon or other probs with  levaquin.

If you are interested in that abx, you can contact Garth Nicolson and he will tell you more info .

hopes this helps !

Casey

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘ Levaquin’ is closed to new replies.