Home Forums General Discussion lab tests for aspirating joint fluid?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Participant

Are there any lab tests that analyze joint fluid which has been 'drawn' (is the correct term, aspirate?) from a swollen joint, to yield data helpful in making a rheumatic diagnosis? Or tests that pinpoint what types of inflammatory cells are in the fluid?Does anyone know where I could find a list of such tests? Thanks – Les

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Les,

This thought has crossed my mind, as well, but I've never looked into it too deeply as I seem to remember in “The New Arthritis Breakthrough” that mycoplasma testing of joint fluid was a pretty challenging thing to do and culturing could take weeks or even months.

Although this link doesn't specify the actual tests performed on synovial fluid, it appears there are standard testing methods used for the detection of gout, various synovial infections, injury and different types of arthritis. These would likely be standard tests requested by the physician performing the arthrocentesis:

http://www.mercksource.com/pp/us/cns/cns_hl_adam.jspzQzpgzEzzSzppdocszSzuszSzcnsz

Are you looking specifically for mycoplasma testing of synovial fluid?

If so, a quick search just pulled up this lab, called “Immunosciences Lab.” Can't vouch for their accuracy, though:

http://www.immuno-sci-lab.com/html/pcr.html 

[align=left][font=”Times New Roman,Times,Times NewRoman”] Test requirements for the detection of Mycoplasma by PCR[/font] [/align]

• [font=”Times New Roman,Times,Times NewRoman”]Two 10 ml yellow top tubes (ACD) of blood or synovial fluid.
      Send by overnight delivery.
      [/font][/*:3qdhg56h]

[/size]

http://mycoplasmasupport.org/Web_pages/Lab/lab_testing.htm

Perhaps putting in a few calls to the labs listed might yield results as per the requisite tests you'd like to have done.

If you decide to try this, I'd be really grateful to hear how you get on.

Peace, Maz

Anonymous
    Participant

Maz,thanks for all the leads! I wasn't thinking of mycoplasma testing specifically, but that IS a good idea ( I have heard the immunosciences is a good lab, I don't know if they evaluate synovial fluid, tho)
    I was mainly thinking of tests that would help in diagnosing the cause of swollen joints (if it's RA, or gout, etc), and also could analyze the type of immune system cells that were in the fluid. I was hoping to find the specific names of  those tests on a website, but no such luck (except the general term 'synovial fluid analysis')
    Thanks, and I will let you know what I find out – Les

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Les…yeah, I couldn't find anything more specific re: actual test names either. Presumably it's done, but I read on one site that doctors discourage joint fluid testing, because results can be misleading. 😯  It didn't elaborate, so not sure what they mean by this….seems to me it would be pretty conclusive if they find crystals (gout) or elevated white blood cells (RA), blood (injury), etc….but I'm no expert on this, either.

I took the following directly from the Immunosciences Lab website, so I think they must do mycoplasma testing on joint fluid, as they specify what tubes to use for “blood or synovial fluid.”

Test requirements for the detection of Mycoplasma by PCR

• [font=”Times New Roman,Times,Times NewRoman”]Two 10 ml yellow top tubes (ACD) of blood or synovial fluid.
      Send by overnight delivery.
      [/font]

[/*]
    Let us know how you get on…I've often wondered about having the myco test done, really just for my own curiousity.

Peace, Maz

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘ lab tests for aspirating joint fluid?’ is closed to new replies.