Home Forums General Discussion L FORM OF STREP /TESTING / ANTIBIOTIC

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Nina F
    Participant

Hi…. anyone have any luck getting rid of L form of strep along with elevated strep titers?   My son has been doing very well on minocin but have not been able to get rid of high strep titers of over 700 for almost 5 years?  All other markers normal range?   I beleive it to be the L form of strep.  Our family Dr. is willing to test for it, but not sure what test to telll him to request, and he is not sure.  Will the actual testing for Mycoplasma actually help?  Since there are so many, you can't really test for them all right?   How do you know what on earth to test for?   From other posts by Maz, it looks like azithromycin might be the antibiotic for L form of strep?  Any suggestions would be great!  Thanks:)

Dan_M
    Participant

[user=1645]Nina F[/user] wrote:

Hi…. anyone have any luck getting rid of L form of strep along with elevated strep titers?   My son has been doing very well on minocin but have not been able to get rid of high strep titers of over 700 for almost 5 years?  All other markers normal range?   I beleive it to be the L form of strep.  Our family Dr. is willing to test for it, but not sure what test to telll him to request, and he is not sure.  Will the actual testing for Mycoplasma actually help?  Since there are so many, you can't really test for them all right?   How do you know what on earth to test for?   From other posts by Maz, it looks like azithromycin might be the antibiotic for L form of strep?  Any suggestions would be great!  Thanks:)

Hi, Nina. It sounds like your son and my son are in similar situations. My son has been on mino for over a year. After testing positive for Lyme we took him to a LLMD in December who added azithromicin to his AP. He also ran many tests, and the results showed 'most' of the markers in the normal range. There were a few notable exceptions, one of which was the DNAse-B titer which was 680. About a month ago, we saw a new LLMD who switched the azithromicin to Ceftin. He ran more tests, and we just got his DNAse-B results back a couple of weeks ago. His titer had dropped to 340. So in December when his titer was 680 he had been on mino for six months, which would indicate to me that the mino was having no effect on its own in this area. However, after 7 months on azithromicin, along with the mino, this number has been cut in half. I am going to be calling our LLMD to discuss this. It's my understanding that Ceftin is also prescribed for strep infections, as is amoxycilin. Our new Lyme protocol was going to be to take Ceftin for a month, then switch to Flagyl, however in light of these new results, I will be asking the doctor if we should be staying on the Ceftin for a while longer instead of switching to Flagyl since I cannot find any mention anywhere of Flagyl being used to treat strep. I'm wondering now if we should stay on the Ceftin for another month, then get another DNAse-B test and determine where to go from there. Maybe we should even consider going back on the azithromicin.

Sorry for such a long answer! But until I talk to our doctor, I cannot in good conscience say “yes azithromycin worked for us”. It certainly SEEMS to have been working, as I can't imagine that it would be just a coincidence that my son's titer dropped by one half during the time he was taking this medication.

As far as the mycoplasma tests, every blood test my son has gotten over the past 18 months has included a test for m. pneumoniae, and his IgG has always been extremely high. However, right about the same time we saw our new LLMD a month ago, we also saw Dr. S in Iowas, and he ordered several other mycoplasma tests from a lab in Maryland. Unfortunately, those results are not back yet, so I won't know the names of the tests until we get them back. Maybe you could contact Dr. S to get his opinion on which tests he recommends? Just a thought.

Again, sorry for such a long-winded answer, but I hope some of this will help.

Dan

Kim
    Participant

Hi Nina,

This link is a FAQ page from the rheumatic.org site and discusses tests and drugs typically used for AP that should be helpful.

http://rheumatic.org/faq.htm

Dan ~ Mino and Zith have always been a great combination for me too. 😉

Take care…..kim

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘ L FORM OF STREP /TESTING / ANTIBIOTIC’ is closed to new replies.