Home Forums General Discussion Kefir related Herx

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Participant

To anyone who may have had this same experience….I've been drinking homemade real Kefir from Kefir grains for about 4 months and I've been experiencing an increase in my joint pain for about 3 weeks. Some research that I did says that whey products can cause a Herx, which saddens me extremely as I dearly love my kefir.  Please respond if you're out there with the same deal going on. I'm hoping it'll subside and I won't have to stop the kefir-drinking.

Thanks and have a good weekend, PFoley

Jo
    Participant

[user=101]pfoley[/user] wrote:

To anyone who may have had this same experience….I've been drinking homemade real Kefir from Kefir grains for about 4 months and I've been experiencing an increase in my joint pain for about 3 weeks. Some research that I did says that whey products can cause a Herx, which saddens me extremely as I dearly love my kefir.  Please respond if you're out there with the same deal going on. I'm hoping it'll subside and I won't have to stop the kefir-drinking.

Thanks and have a good weekend, PFoley

The protocol tells you that reducing inflammation is critically important , as the antibiotic can't work if it can't get past the inflammation.

Congratulations, you've found a product that you really like ,that reduces your inflammation, and therefore your antibiotic is now able to do a better job.

If the herx is too extreme, you might need to drink less kefir, and gradually increase as you can tolerate it.

If you are taking high amounts of antibiotic, your doctor might want to reduce that instead, as it's the inflamation that damages your joints, and without the inflammation less antibiotic actually does more work.

Good Luck

Jo

Anonymous
    Participant

Thanks Jo for your response…here's my confusion…doesn't pain & swelling mean there's inflammation which in turn causes damage? And if I was feeling really good before drinking kefir (taking only one 50mg minocycline twice a week) is it wise to even continue with the kefir in any amount? Is the kefir fighting inflammation or causing it again? Sorry to be such a whiner! PFoley

Jo
    Participant

[user=101]pfoley[/user] wrote:

Thanks Jo for your response…here's my confusion…doesn't pain & swelling mean there's inflammation which in turn causes damage? And if I was feeling really good before drinking kefir (taking only one 50mg minocycline twice a week) is it wise to even continue with the kefir in any amount? Is the kefir fighting inflammation or causing it again? Sorry to be such a whiner! PFoley

Yes, pain and swelling does indicate inflammation. Inflammation is caused by the allergic response to the presence of bacteria or it's antigens, dead or alive. If the antibiotic works better, you have more dead bacteria and/or antigens in your body, that need to be cleared out by the liver or kidneys, thus more to trigger the allergy response.  That is what a Herx is.

The protocol explains it much better.

So if the Herx is too strong, then you don't have to stop the kefir, just reduce the amount you drink to the point where it's only a minor Herx.  Then gradually increase it as you can.  Herx is a good thing,  but only as much as one can tolerate at a time.

The bandage analogy works for me. Some people rip that bandage off fast and prefer the pain sharp and short.  Others prefer their pain small and drawn out, they peal the bandage off real slow, some times with breaks to let the pain go away in between pealing bits off.

The Kefir is reducing the inflammation, then the antibiotic works better, but the increased presence of larger amounts dead bacteria and it's antigens is causing a stronger allergy response that increases the inflammation even more, for a short time, until the dead debris is cleared out by your body.

To kill the bacteria you will Herx. Do you want it sharp, short and over? Or slow and easy?

Only you can make that decision.

With the MSM, we increase the dosage past this cycle, so that the  inflamation is totally prevented. That's why we have to use such huge amounts at first.  I don't know if the Kefir might work the same way, you might try it.

Blessings

Jo

Anonymous
    Participant

Thanks again Jo, the bandage theory makes sense. Maybe I should increase my kefir instead of decrease it, grin and bear it while it's ridding bacteria, and see how that works. I sure do appreciate your concern and responses. PFoley

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘ Kefir related Herx’ is closed to new replies.