Home Forums General Discussion I've Got to Do Something about Candida

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    sierrra
    Participant

Hello, Friends.

I've been taking minocycline for 3.5 years and it has made me well. I've had the occasional yeast infection during that time, easily cleared up by an OTC product and more attention to my probiotic regimen. I  came out of the Christmas season with a yeast infection, which I treated as I always do. The noticeable symptoms are gone, but I know a low grade infection remains, because my poor husband gets itchy after sex and has to treat himself with anti-fungal cream. I saw my doctor last week for an unrelated problem and thought I'd try to get some Diflucan. I told her what I've just told you, and reminded her that I've been on an antibiotic for more than three years. I could tell by her response that she was not seeing the big picture. She told me she'd be happy to do a yeast infection test next time I had vaginal symptoms. No Rx for Diflucan.

I spent the weekend on a wonderful retreat. On Friday evening I took a washcloth and washed my underarms with plain water. By Saturday morning, I noticed an odd odor in the bathroom and traced it to my washcloth, which had a fungal smell. That confirmed my suspicion that I have a significant overgrowth–it's coming out in my sweat!

The focus of the retreat was raw foods, and we did a lot of juicing, smoothie-making, and eating all organic and super fresh uncooked foods. (I feel great!) The subject of Candida cleansing came up in one conversation, and I realized that I wanted to do that when I got home. So, I just got back from the co-op with a product called Candi-gone. Has anyone used it?

Also, for the first time in 3.5 years, I stopped taking my antibiotic on the retreat. I want to give my system a little break and get this Candida under control. I'm doing so well that there is a possibility that I may not need to go back on it, though time will tell.

At this point, advice about getting a prescription anti-fungal would not be helpful since I've already embarked on this herbal approach, but I would welcome other feedback.

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

Sierra,

I am sorry to hear you are suffering with yeast.  I have a BIG problem with yeast too.  I am pretty sure that I have probably had a low grade yeast (candida) issue for many years.  I can remember back to my late teens, everytime I had to be on antibiotics for any reason, boom, I would get a vaginal yeast infection.  EVERYTIME!  I am sure that it had everything to do with my affinity to sugary drinks and candy.

So, now, I have been on a fairly high dose combo AP treatment for five months.  Four antibiotics, along with diflucan 3X per week.  I have been doing pretty well with a no sugar diet, but over the holidays, I did eat some sweets, but not that much. 

My candida exploded a few weeks ago.  Luckily I guess, it is not a vaginal yeast infection, but it is definitely in all of my “hot spots” everywhere that gets warm, under arms, under breasts, behind the knees, etc.  I smell like yeast, just like bread baking yeast.  And vinegar smelling too, sweet apple cider vinegar type smell.  (Sorry if that is too much information).

So, my doc recommended I stop all antibiotics and I have now taken diflucan everyday for three weeks.  The problem is better, but not gone.  In addition to the diflucan, I have been taking the hydrogen peroxide baths, and I also have a bottle of H2O2 with a spray nossle on it in my shower, I spray my skin with H2O2 after each shower and let it soak into my skin before drying off to try to keep the yeast of my skin, I know it is still systemic, but keeping it from sitting on the skin helps the itch I think.

I hope others have some ideas, because I as sure this yeast issue is a big part of my overall health problem.

Cheryl

MMW
    Participant

Hi Seirra and Cheryl,

I just had my first visit with an AP dr recommended from this site.    I had no idea what his complete philosophies or experiences really were except that this site recommended him along with Merla here at the roadback who had many positive things to say.

I think he is on target though.   He says that yeast must be treated first and gotten under control before attempting to conquer other issues.  He said that the immune system can't work properly if it is overly inundated with yeast.   He actually wrote a book on a protocal to get it under control.

He placed my husband and I on 30 days of 200mg diflucan and said that we will probably keep us on this for 6-8 weeks and maybe longer.  We will take blood tests to moniter the liver.  During the first 4 weeks of this protocal we are both on a very strict anti yeast diet that he calls phase one.  Then after two weeks we go to phase two which is less strict.  One of his specialties is Candidi control.  According to his book, which he wrote,  it is a crucial factor to control before you can GET BACK TO HEALTH (the name of his book).

The book is actually called BACK TO HEALTH A COMPREHENSIVE MEDICAL AND NUTRITIONAL YEAST CONTROL PROGRAM.  Although he wrote it in Oct 1986, the last printing for this book is the 10th one done on May 2008.

He is doing AP at the same time.  He started me on only one antibiotic because he does not want too many variables involved so we can figure out which antibiotic works best.   

I just never gave the idea that yeast might be a big factor in causing me problems much thought.  I always thought I had some yeast, but never imagined that I had overgrowth complicating issues.   But I think he hit a nail on the head when he told me to do this protocal.    

I didn't know that yeast interferes with hormones,  sugar tolerance, it can cause insulin resistance, weight gain and so much more.   He sure makes a lot of sense to me.

He said if we keep yeast under control than our immune system can focus and be stronger on fighting the other bacteria and fungi we have.

Oh and something else I have to get more info on from him.  He uses  candida antigen drops for some of his patients.   I think this makes your body fight yeast off in the future kind of like a vaccine does.   Has anyone every heard of this?  

MMW 

sierrra
    Participant

I've been regarding it as a little nuisance problem that comes and goes, but now I see that it's more than that.

Sierra

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘ I've Got to Do Something about Candida’ is closed to new replies.