Home Forums General Discussion IV Clindamycin

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Wayne
    Participant

G'Day to all,

I'm still trying to line up my first course of IV Clindy, but have found it very difficult to settle on a particular protocol as I am the first patient that my wife and I have treated with SD and there seems to be so many variants to the same basic idea. My Rhuemy is most happy to carry out my request almost completely on the basis that he accepts that the wider medical fraternity offer minimal hope to an SD sufferer and he desperately wants to do something for me. What a good guy to step out and try something new, even though we are not on the same page on many things. However what protocol do I request?

I spoke to a Dr today in another state who has had success with 300mg iv Clindy 2x a day for 2 weeks. This is followed by 300mg im Clindy injection 2x a week. Seems Ok to me and we have to settle on something. Realising the most common protocol seems to be a 5 day build up of 300,300,600,900,900.

I can't wait to start, as this horrible disease is raging  and progressing so rapidly that it scares me. I just read through the Christmas summaries and were so encouraged by the success's of so many in the fight against this disease. God bless you all after going through such a trial and enduring to see better days.

Still have got work to do – my Haemaglobin in low, Albumin low, platelets high, amongst other stuff. We will get there and I learn so much from all you guys all the time. I can hardly wait till I can post some good news – I know it will happen:roll-laugh:.

All The Best Wayne

Systemic Sclerosis....rapid onset 2010.
    Started AP January 2011.
    Multiple meds during treatment, including IV Clindamycin every 2 months for 5 days.
    Now.....disease in remission....meds: Mimomycin, Clindamycin IM 3 monthly,
    5 days Azithromycin 6 monthly.
    Very well now....enjoying life.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi Wayne – fantastic news that your rheumie's humanity triumphed over his training!So, you've had a great success already! Will look forward to your updates, thanks so much for posting. Lynnie

P.S. Would love to know the name of the doc in another State who does clindy IV's. Would you mind sending me a PM with his/her name? Thanks Wayne. 

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Parisa
    Participant

Hi Wayne,

I'm so happy that your rheumie is willing to try a different approach to scleroderma.  I've been on this forum for over four years now and have seen many scleroderma paitents stop the progression of their disease and recover.  I'm sure some of them will step in and give their experience with the IVs.  By the way, my husband did daily IVs of different antibiotics for almost two years without a problem.  During that two year period, he did 3 months of IV clindamycin, twice daily. 

Wayne I chose the 300mg twice a week above the heavy increase as it was much more comfortable and very effective and continued it for several years.  You can also use the lincomycin which is similar and on the PBS here but intra muscular.  I gave that to myself had instructions from the states how to do it. Was not as costly. Two days treatment and one day break. but also too the other abx as well 3 hrs apart.

The phone no of my friend with Scleroderma who is doing famously on the abx treatment for 8 yrs lives in Merredin in  the central wheatbelt is    08 9041 1715

She speaks to scleroderma patients all over Aust. gladly

Hope this helps

Wayne
    Participant

Hi Rosemary,

Good to hear from you and hope all is well with you:roll-laugh:. Thanks for the phone number of your friend in Merriden, I will call her shortly. The lincomycin for the following IM injections is a great idea, especially as it is on the PBS (Australian Government scheme reducing the cost of meds). I will go for the Clindy while doing the first 2 week course in hospital, as it will all be covered by health insurance. Where as the following IM stuff I presume I will do at home, being a paramedic and all (although that chapter of my life is drawing to a close because I can't function doing that job anymore with this disease – much heart ache:crying:).

All the best and keep well – Wayne

Systemic Sclerosis....rapid onset 2010.
    Started AP January 2011.
    Multiple meds during treatment, including IV Clindamycin every 2 months for 5 days.
    Now.....disease in remission....meds: Mimomycin, Clindamycin IM 3 monthly,
    5 days Azithromycin 6 monthly.
    Very well now....enjoying life.

Kim
    Participant

Hi Wayne,

Good job making all this happen so quickly.  You should have excellent results so don't quit your job. 😉

Looking forward to follow-up posts.

Take care……kim

Mumof3
    Participant

Hi Wayne, The I.V.'s have helped me more than anything. Every six weeks I get a 5 days series of 600,600, 900, 900, 1,200 mg. The weeks in between I get 1,200 mg once a week. When I first started it was a lower dose (300, 300, 600, 600, 900) but I am responding well so it was increased. Good luck with it Wayne. I hope it all goes well for you!

[user=1894]Wayne[/user] wrote:

Hi Rosemary,

Good to hear from you and hope all is well with you:roll-laugh:. Thanks for the phone number of your friend in Merriden, I will call her shortly. The lincomycin for the following IM injections is a great idea, especially as it is on the PBS (Australian Government scheme reducing the cost of meds). I will go for the Clindy while doing the first 2 week course in hospital, as it will all be covered by health insurance. Where as the following IM stuff I presume I will do at home, being a paramedic and all (although that chapter of my life is drawing to a close because I can't function doing that job anymore with this disease – much heart ache:crying:).

All the best and keep well – Wayne

Yes you have to get a script for the lincomycin and then from the same pharmacy get the injections  I used the clinda for about two years at about $80 each time and it was terribly costly.  The reason I switched was because if Dr. was away which he was from time to time surfing in the Maldives I needed to be able to manage and also the cost factor as well of course.  I managed very well with the instructions from the States and it saved me going in all the time as well.  did it for a very long time without any problems.  In fact I missed it once I stopped.  so sorry it is interferring with your work..  Val  got treatment early and saved herself a lot of trouble and discomfort. She rings every couple of weeks.  We have become very good friends.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘ IV Clindamycin’ is closed to new replies.